Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Now it works again... go figure (but there is a Verizon location in Yonkers)!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    You know, anyone complaining about us Sprint users not getting this update as quickly as Verizon sure have short memories. I kind of think we had the Centro itself for about 8 months before Verizon even offered this phone. We were laughing at Verizon then. I believe even the 755 came out on Verizon after we already had the Centro. Also, honestly, how many of you think, other than playing around, that you will ever really use this feature? It isn't GPS, so you won't be able to use it while driving around. It's not like they are getting the internet and we have to wait a month for it. Until the update comes out, if you're lost, look at an address and put it in google maps and it will show you where you are. And trust me, nobody wants this feature more than I do.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I can wait i just hope it's not to long
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Can anyone post their Google Map (Verizon) as an attachment? I want to look at it with IDA disassembler and see what the app does. I was told that the phone also uses MSM6500 and not MSM7500, so it is same as 700p etc.

(I tried to d/l from google directly but I don't have that phone)
    Here's the direct download link: Google 2.0.2.0 Installer for Palm I had no problem downloading it on my PC and then install it on my 755p (of course the location feature is not working )

Cheers.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I think we should start a pool for someone to hack this thing to get the GMM location functionality on (at least) the 755p. I really would not be surprised if (forgive me if I use incorrect terminology--I'm not a developer) Palm just locked all hardware IDs other than the Centro/Treo 690.

I'll start the fun by pledging $20 via PayPal to anyone who can get it going reliably (ie without crashing catastrophically) on my VZW 755p.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  6.    #46  
    I used FileZ to look at what happened to GoogleMaps...(have a VZW Centro) and it looks like GoogleMaps is in my RAM (646K)...GoogleMaps is still on my ROM (538K), but there is only one Google Maps icon. I betcha there is a function that runs the newest version of the program....thus the one in my VZW Centro ROM is now obsolete. So now, I have 646K less RAM, but the upgraded GoogleMaps was worth it (not only the MyLocation, but better Search function).

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Also can confirm that it is working on my Vzn Centro... also within 5,000 to 1,800 meters... a bit far for precise needs but adequate for ball-park ideas.

It didn't add a second GoogleMaps icon. Does it write to my available memory the whole program (usurping the built-in one, thus wasting memory space), or does it only re-write the portion of code in the built-in that is needed?

I thought Gmaps was in the ROM?

The really hard-to-believe thing is that Vzn would let access to their tower data out to Google, without finding a way to charge for the service. Hope it holds.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantoja09 View Post
    I can wait i just hope it's not to long
    Same here. Obviously I can live without the MyLocation feature. But I think it could be useful (not sure if it *will* be), and would like to have it soon, before my summer vacation if they can get the update(s) out soon enough. I know where I am around home and work; trying the feature out in a new city would be a fun test. And I do still find it surprising that the company who's had the Centro the longest is the least prepared for the updated, getting it last. I'd think that with their head-start on the other companies, they'd have had plenty of time to update us so we could get the new feature at the same time as everyone else. *shrug* Just my feelings.
  8.    #48  
    Well, I was in your boat last year with my VZW Treo 700p. Both the Sprint and VZW Treo 700p came out in May of 2006 and both of them were buggy as heck. About 1 year later, the long-awaited MR (Maintainance Release came out) and it came out on Sprint 700p first, then us VZW Treo 700p had to wait about a month to get it only to get a buggy version and had to wait til Sept 2007 to get a fix. So, it happens, but I am sure it will come out soon and this will be all forgotten. Now I have VZW Centro that I have been waiting since last year and happy that I didn't have to wait for GoogleMaps My Location.

Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    Same here. Obviously I can live without the MyLocation feature. But I think it could be useful (not sure if it *will* be), and would like to have it soon, before my summer vacation if they can get the update(s) out soon enough. I know where I am around home and work; trying the feature out in a new city would be a fun test. And I do still find it surprising that the company who's had the Centro the longest is the least prepared for the updated, getting it last. I'd think that with their head-start on the other companies, they'd have had plenty of time to update us so we could get the new feature at the same time as everyone else. *shrug* Just my feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I think we should start a pool for someone to hack this thing to get the GMM location functionality on (at least) the 755p. I really would not be surprised if (forgive me if I use incorrect terminology--I'm not a developer) Palm just locked all hardware IDs other than the Centro/Treo 690.
    Yeah right and they also locked the Sprint version (which is the same model# as the VZ) also just for fun until the ROM update.

They said it would take a firmware change. The Verizon and ATT Centros are newer and probably had the new firmware in time to be approved by the carrier for release from the beginning. Since the Sprint phone has been in production already, they have to do a ROM update that needs to be approved by the carrier before it will work. And do you really think Palm is going to do that for every past phone? While I believe it would make sense for the 755p since they are still selling it, it makes no sense to do it for phones not even sold anymore. Again its not just a matter of software but going thru the hassles of carrier approval.

If you bought your 755p believing it was going to someday support this GPS-like functionality, then complain away (although I will bet your $20 that the my location feature didn't even exist when you bought the phone and you were not buying expecting it someday)
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    (although I will bet your $20 that the my location feature didn't even exist when you bought the phone and you were not buying expecting it someday)
    I will take that $20! Type ##56228466# and you will see the built-in info on the 755p. Shows a lot of location information with no data as it doesn't work. So if it doesn't exist, then why is it even there?

PM on where to send that $20!
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData View Post
    I will take that $20! Type ##56228466# and you will see the built-in info on the 755p. Shows a lot of location information with no data as it doesn't work. So if it doesn't exist, then why is it even there?

PM on where to send that $20!
    Actually, you made my point. Since there is no data there, how could you expect it would ever be used. And if you bought your Treo before GMM with MyLocation came out then actually, you owe me $20. But I will let you off this time.

That aside, I was referring specifically to the martyr complex shown by a poster who thinks Palm may have locked out Treo users in the GMM software (which by the way was written by Google) as opposed to accepting that (as you just pointed out), the data isn't available on the Treo without a ROM update. Should they update the ROM, sure. Are they obligated to, no. Just like Microsoft isn't going to support XP forever and Apple doesn't support my old IIe.

Just a final thought, my understanding is that changes to the phone functionality have to be approved by the carrier. What if Sprint, Verizon, ATT don't want to go through all the network testing to get changes in on the older phones like Treo? Is that still Palm's fault? We know Verizon is difficult (which is why they seem to get phones last)!
    Last edited by deibelsan; 06/26/2008 at 08:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    First of all, I'm not a martyr, not do I want to be one. I'm just a frustrated recent 755p purchaser that's absolutely exasperated at being repeatedly punished & kicked in the teeth by choosing to promoting, advocate & continuing to prefer the advantages of the Palm OS.

#1 Palm didn't "lock" anyone out of Google's software. Google wrote it, likely with little involvement with Palm aside from whatever they needed from Palm to access the tower ID information. I simply feel that Palm just simply asked/persuaded Google to support only the "hip" new Treo. Or let me put it another way: Palm has 755p ROM updates in the works for at least the Verizon version. If Verizon was fine with that functionality on the Centro they probably would be fine with it on the 755p as well. Palm likely just chose to not include that as part of the 755p's ROM since they're trying to get the last of the Garnet-based Treos off the market as quickly as possible.

#2 Palm stated in early December 2007--nearly 2 months after the Centro launched on Sprint--that GMM functionality would be coming to "newer Palm OS devices":
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ion-after-all/

HOW vague is that? I took that to mean the 755p & the Centro and possibly the 680 and 700p.

If you look at my device sig, you'll see that I use a Verizon 755p which wasn't even released until late Dec '07 and in-store January '08. And I bought mine in March '08. So I guess I am free to continue complaining, huh? :-)

So, yes, I honestly bought the 755p AFTER Palm's announcement above and fully expected it to be supported as it was the NEWEST PALM OS device available on Verizon at that time...and there was *no* sign of the Centro appearing on Verizon back then either. Had those crooks in Sunnyvale just been clearer at the time and said "We will only support the Centro from here on" then, yes, I'd probably not have bought a 755p and tried to squeeze a few months more out of my 700p while waiting on a VZW Centro. I prefer the 755's hardware, yes, but don't particularly like having a "new" orphan device.

#3 As far as your argument about Microsoft & XP, that has few (if any) parallels with Palm and their staggering disregard for their customers. Microsoft have just announced to further support XP until 2014, well after the arrival of Windows 7. Mind you, XP was released in 2001. So, yeah, 13 years isn't forever but it's dam close to it in PC OS terms and far longer than I ever expected XP support to last. Yet Palm will not even release a GMM update for the 755p, by all accounts their flagship POS device that has been available on Sprint for less than a year and Verizon for only 6 months!?!

Finally, Razix has his his free MyLocation software working on GSM Treos for months:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...-to-gsm-treos/

So if the tower info isn't availbe without a ROM update, then how come an antiquated GSM Treo 600 can support rudimentary location features with the freeware MyLocation software? I am CERTAIN Palm & Google could have gotten it working "officially" with their greater resources. So why not at least bless 680 owners (along with CDMA & GSM Centro users) with GMM functionality to somewhat mitigate Garnet not being able to handle GSM 3G? I'd love to hear a compelling technical reason the 680 couldn't have been included alongside the Centros.

Look, I'm not going to die without GMM nor do I expect it to replace my Garmin GPS receiver. But it WOULD be a handy feature to have and I was really expecting it at some point this year per Palm's announcement from last December. My biggest beef by far is with Palm's lack of upfront, honest communication with its customers and their Byzantine support policies that lack any direction with which devices enjoy continued support (Centro, T|C, Treo 650) and others are almost immediately put out to pasture (T|T, TX). This kind of stuff (ie clarifying their GMM support stance somewtime between December 5 '07 & June 24th '08).

Sad to say but I see no signs of the "new" regime at work at Palm. It's the same old crew upt to their same old tricks.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

I'll start the fun by pledging $20 via PayPal to anyone who can get it going reliably (ie without crashing catastrophically) on my VZW 755p.
    Only the Centro has the PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo() call available in its API (available from PhoneInterfaceLibrary.prc in the ROM), the 680 and probably the 755 and 700 are missing this, so GoogleMaps can't get the necessary info for its My Location feature.

Replacing the existing PIL from the Centro into other devices doesn't work sadly as I tried that a while ago in an experiment for GreenHexs' app Centroid.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Only the Centro has the PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo() call available in its API (available from PhoneInterfaceLibrary.prc in the ROM), the 680 and probably the 755 and 700 are missing this, so GoogleMaps can't get the necessary info for its My Location feature.

Replacing the existing PIL from the Centro into other devices doesn't work sadly as I tried that a while ago in an experiment for GreenHexs' app Centroid.
    hmm, but he tried the GSM centro's correct? what about taking the one from the CDMA vzw centro and putting it on the vzw 755. if someone with a vzw centro would be kind enought to post their phoneinterfacelibrary file I'd gladly be a "test dummy" and try it on my 755.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    hmm, but he tried the GSM centro's correct? what about taking the one from the CDMA vzw centro and putting it on the vzw 755. if someone with a vzw centro would be kind enought to post their phoneinterfacelibrary file I'd gladly be a "test dummy" and try it on my 755.
    Thats a good idea, I'd be willing to try it out on a 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    Ahh good point about the GSM/CDMA difference

Regardless, I had to make a custom ROM to get the phoneinterfacelibrary to work, you can't just place it in RAM and hope it'll take precedence like you can with certain overlays, etc. And thats where you 755 and 700 users hit a stumbling block I believe as there's no custom ROM method for those phones is there ?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Ahh good point about the GSM/CDMA difference

Regardless, I had to make a custom ROM to get the phoneinterfacelibrary to work, you can't just place it in RAM and hope it'll take precedence like you can with certain overlays, etc. And thats where you 755 and 700 users hit a stumbling block I believe as there's no custom ROM method for those phones is there ?
    Not 100% but I don't think you need a custom ROM. I've got the DUN hacked PIL up and running on my 755 with just placing it in the ram.
    Anyone notice faster battery drain since installing this updated version?
    is there a way to "shut off" this app. I really think it's draining my battery faster. I talked to non Palm os users who say the same thing happens for them on their BB. I want to know how to "properly exit" so that it doesn't keep running in the background draining battery.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    nothing really runs in the background in Palm OS. don't mean to come off smug but is it maybe draining the battery more cause you're "playing" with the phone more using my location(using the phone more than you had previously)? try not using google maps for a day to see if you really are seeing "background" battery drain. worst case you can uninstall it and see if it really is the cause.

Oh, and as I mentioned earlier, I'd appreciate it if anyone with a VZW centro could post the phoneinterfacelibrary.prc file. Use FileZ(be sure to check the option to show ROM files) and you can copy it to an SD or send it via IR/bluetooth to your computer. then just attach it to a reply in this thread.

thanks
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast