Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The "my location" feature works on my Verizon Centro... as well as to be expected. I tried several times, indoors & out, but it's showing me about 1.1 miles south of my actual location. Within their 1800m margin of error, I suppose. Still, it's a handy function when traveling, looking for nearby services.

Might it be possible to get this software to read actual coordinates, from a bluetooth-paired GPS puck?
    Yes, I am on Sprint. Silly me, getting excited about seeing Palm update, download successful, then not reading the fine print and realizing the ball is now in Sprint's court. Thanks for pointing that out MarkY. I guess I will be ready to try when they do!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead007 View Post
    The "my location" feature works on my Verizon Centro... as well as to be expected. I tried several times, indoors & out, but it's showing me about 1.1 miles south of my actual location. Within their 1800m margin of error, I suppose. Still, it's a handy function when traveling, looking for nearby services.

Might it be possible to get this software to read actual coordinates, from a bluetooth-paired GPS puck?
    Yeah, I've noticed that per using the GPS locating capabilities of the Centro via the Sprint Family Locator application, that the Centro does very poor GPS triangulation. Usually, the Sprint Family Locator tells me that her Centro is "within a 1 mile radius". Big help that is -- NOT.

In all, if the GPS triangulation performance is about the same for all Centros, regardless of carrier, I'd fathom that the Google Maps My Location feature will be pretty useless, most of the time.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Remember when Palm said 700p update sometime in the summer? it took half a year later to get it lol. Hopefully they won't take 10 years to release a sprint update!

Don't remind me.

also works on my VZW Centro. pretty cool feature n more important its good to see new updates on Palm OS based software. Like it or not, Centro is making a lot of noise and is big hit for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead007 View Post

I use the Google Maps Mobile companion Where Am I? application (http://wfmh.org.pl/carlos) in conjunction with my GPS puck to obtain my exact coordinates then use Google Maps to pull up the location.
    Hey I am still waiting for my Sprint update for my Sprint Visor Module that will allow it to use the faster Sprint Vision Servives. Been 8 years. LOL. remember that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I use the Google Maps Mobile companion Where Am I? application (http://wfmh.org.pl/carlos) in conjunction with my GPS puck to obtain my exact coordinates then use Google Maps to pull up the location.
    Thanks much, I'll give that a look!
    Works on AT&T model (using T-Mobile)
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Are you on a Sprint device? If so, My Location isn't going to work until Sprint releases its update.
    Any idea when that's supposed to be?
    No probs working on my centro in the UK. Just as accurate as that on my BB Curve.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I've used "Where Am I" before and its a great piece of freeware that was written specifically for Google maps. It grabs the GPS coordinates and gets GMM to look up that specific location. However, if you use a gps puck, there are free navigation solutions out there that don't require a constant internet connection (EarthComber). Give it a try
  13.    #33  
    Another confirmation on VZW Centro, it will locate about 1800 feet to sometimes 5000 feet depending where I am, but there are only a few cell towers in my area...I bet if I get closer to an urban area, it may be more accurate, but really no different from Blackberrys and WinMobile and iPhone 1.0

Also, I like the new "search" function which is more easier to use and once you tap on your search item, you get a list of things to do: call number, go to web site (before, it would display on the webiste but you couldn't click on it), directions to here, directions from here, search nearby, and all related items to your search items!
    Atleast Verizon is getting love. My fingers are still crossed.
    Also can confirm that it is working on my Vzn Centro... also within 5,000 to 1,800 meters... a bit far for precise needs but adequate for ball-park ideas.

It didn't add a second GoogleMaps icon. Does it write to my available memory the whole program (usurping the built-in one, thus wasting memory space), or does it only re-write the portion of code in the built-in that is needed?

I thought Gmaps was in the ROM?

The really hard-to-believe thing is that Vzn would let access to their tower data out to Google, without finding a way to charge for the service. Hope it holds.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    Atleast Verizon is getting love. My fingers are still crossed.
    Keep the faith! I'll be saying my prayers!

Congrats Verizon customers! Enjoy!

I want My location too.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Us Sprint Users will get it with the OS update along with better IM and improved audio. I am willing to wait a month or two for that
    Can anyone post their Google Map (Verizon) as an attachment? I want to look at it with IDA disassembler and see what the app does. I was told that the phone also uses MSM6500 and not MSM7500, so it is same as 700p etc.

(I tried to d/l from google directly but I don't have that phone)
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Not that it is a huge surprise, but this new feature doesn't work on a Verizon Treo650. The new Google Map application works just fine otherwise, however...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Now it shows me in Yonkers, New York... when I am really in Annapolis, Maryland?!?!

Wonder if Verizon is messing with them?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast