Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    My battery would drain from 100% to 33% in a few hours.

I charge my battery last night and unplugged it before I went to sleep. I check the battery this morning and it is at 97%. Lost 3% in 8 hours.

What is the culprit? It's an application that is NOT letting your computer goto SLEEP MODE.

First thing. Download "TREO BATTERY"
    This program will let you know whenever your phone's display is off and NOT sleeping. Another term for NOT sleeping is "REM SLEEP" (its confusing, but that means its not properly sleeping and drainy battery fast)

In the preferences... select "Turn on orange LED in REM sleep" (means let me know when it is not sleeping properly... if you have a centro the led will be GREEN).

You can goto the main phone screen and it should be running in the background now. Push your red power button to shut off the screen. The green LED will light up for about 5 seconds (not yet sleeping). If you phone is properly sleeping the green LED will end in about 5 seconds.

If the green light doesn't stop. This means you need to DELETE some programs untill your green light is off.

I never actually figured out what was the exact program.

I also use Power Hero and set my Internet to disconnect after 1 minute.
    Last edited by mxl360; 06/23/2008 at 02:59 PM.
    Since this problem is so universal I suspect the culprit non-sleeping program is one of the built-in applications (like the phone) which can't be deleted, not an add-on program.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc192000 View Post
    Since this problem is so universal I suspect the culprit non-sleeping program is one of the built-in applications (like the phone) which can't be deleted, not an add-on program.
    Correction it wasn't access
    Last edited by mxl360; 06/23/2008 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post

I charge my battery last night and unplugged it before I went to sleep. I check the battery this morning and it is at 97%. Lost 3% in 8 hours.

What is the culprit? It's an application that is NOT letting your computer goto SLEEP MODE.

First thing. Download Palminternals.
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/palminternals.shtml

This program will let you know whenever your phone's display is off and NOT sleeping. Another term for NOT sleeping is "REM SLEEP" (its confusing, but that means its not properly sleeping and drainy battery fast)

In the preferences... select "Turn on orange LED in REM sleep" (means let me know when it is not sleeping properly... if you have a centro the led will be GREEN).

You can goto the main phone screen and it should be running in the background now. Push your red power button to shut off the screen. The green LED will light up for about 5 seconds (not yet sleeping). If you phone is properly sleeping the green LED will end in about 5 seconds.

If the green light doesn't stop. This means you need to DELETE some programs untill your green light is off.

I never actually figured out what was the exact program. My guess is that it was the ACCESS program.

I can't find the preferences for the orange light in REM sleep. What version of PalmInternals do you have?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ACCESS was built-in.... and one of the programs I removed.
    you know... what exactly is that ACCESS program? I see that screen every time my Centro boots.. but wondered WTF is it? Not only that, i do not even see - using FileZ - such a thing to delete.. so just curious, what did you actually delete?
    Last edited by eTard; 06/23/2008 at 12:58 PM.
    The Palm OS developer. This will be interesting...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The Palm OS developer. This will be interesting...
    huh?
    I don't see the preferences either.
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts

First thing. Download Palminternals.
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/palminternals.shtml

I never actually figured out what was the exact program. My guess is that it was the ACCESS program.

well if you claim to have solved it, but never actually figured out what the exact program was causing it, but only deleted just that 1 program - on a whim it seems... seems that is the solve... and you got lucky picking that app to delete.
    mxl360>>>

One can hardly call that "fixed" - identifying when the device is not "sleeping" and deleting some applications... And like chuckc192000 mentioned, I've noticed this happens even on a raw device, the culprit is more likely in the ROM, meaning, it cannot be deleted. What's more the problem could be in a critical piece of software like the phone application, for example.

Others>>>

The option mentioned by mxl360 is available in TreoBattery.PRC (and not PalmInternals).
    mxl360,

What programs do you have installed? Do you have all automatic updates turned off? I'm curious as to how you removed the "Access" part of your centro and the "Palm" part of the programming still works.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    sorry it wasn't ACCESS it was the ALL -In-One program that had Weather,Maps,Dictionary...etc

Also correction its not palm internals, but "TREO BATTERY"
    Do you mean "On Demand/ Express"? I trialed that program and noticed considerable battery drain too, until I uninstalled it. I can get maps, weather and those other things through other portals.

Express had cool visuals, but energy consumption was unacceptable.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    UPDATE: Battery is now at 84% after 13 Hours (5 of those hours I was using it on and off)
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    Do you mean "On Demand/ Express"? I trialed that program and noticed considerable battery drain too, until I uninstalled it. I can get maps, weather and those other things through other portals.

Express had cool visuals, but energy consumption was unacceptable.

Cheers,
    Kim
    yes EXPRESS not ACCESS... sorry after i deleted it I couldn't remember the name.

But if your having issues with it properly sleeping
    1) make a backup
    2) delete programs 1 by 1 and untill you get it to sleep properly

My personal belief is there's an application that chewup up the network (internet) in the background.
    The program that chews up my battery has been Chatteremail, but I expected it and it also did with my old Treo 700p. Other than that, I have been surprised how good the battery life is on my VZW Centro.
    Anything that accesses data on the Centro will drain the battery. Blazer/On Demand/Chatter/VersaMail... they all drain the battery. If you set it to auto-dissconnect the data connection through a program like Power Hero you will notice a huge increase in battery life.
    i believe the OS is the culprit. imho

i have installed TreoBattery. uninstalled 1 by 1 my 3rd party apps. after 1 or 2 apps deleted it went ok. but just when i tot i got it, the problem came back.

to make it interesting, i installed the apps i deleted back again. suddenly everything is working fine. i am so tired of testing already.

just wish that Palm would come up with something on the next update release
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanujang View Post
    i believe the OS is the culprit. imho

i have installed TreoBattery. uninstalled 1 by 1 my 3rd party apps. after 1 or 2 apps deleted it went ok. but just when i tot i got it, the problem came back.

to make it interesting, i installed the apps i deleted back again. suddenly everything is working fine. i am so tired of testing already.

just wish that Palm would come up with something on the next update release
    Just an update it's been 34 hours since my last charge. I have 40% left. In between I've done some installs, surfing, backing up, calls...etc. Normal usage.

Last night though I notice after I manually reset the phone, it couldn't go back to Sleep. I restore my phone to the last backup (NVBACKUP) and it was able to sleep again.

Probably it's an OS problem, but atleast with TREO BATTERY, you'll know when it's sleeping and not.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Actually, installing Palminternals on my Centro, caused it to reset randomly. After the fifth reset in an hour I removed the program
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast