Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21  
    Here I was all set to trade in my crappy 700p for a VZW Centro and I hear there are more battery drain problems... sheesh.

    Any REAL solutions/culprit identification or still just all guessing and conjecture?
  2. #22  
    It's not a problem with the Centro. It's a software problem that you can experience with any device.

    FWIW, Express works fine if you turn the auto-updates feature off.

    To combat issues like GreenHex mentioned and if you really want full control over what runs on your device checkout CleanStart. It's free and allows you to control what's run on a reset. Including disabling ROM applications.

    My VZW Centro works like a charm. The only two apps that drain the battery are Chatter and Mundu.
  3. #23  
    Is this issue primarily with the Sprint Centro or does it affect GSM models too?
    Mike
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    My battery would drain from 100% to 33% in a few hours.

    I charge my battery last night and unplugged it before I went to sleep. I check the battery this morning and it is at 97%. Lost 3% in 8 hours.

    What is the culprit? It's an application that is NOT letting your computer goto SLEEP MODE.
    I unplug my phone every night after it's fully charged, and like you don't touch it until I get up in the morning. This morning, because of this thread, I looked at it and it was at 97%. This was with the radio on, as I never turn it off. You don't mention if your's is off or on during the night. But to me, that means the phone is using only 9% a day in standby mode, going over 11 days without a charge (and use, of course). That seems pretty fair to me. Now, if you're getting a faster drain in normal use, that's a different story. I am far from a power user, but I've never had to worry about battery life on my Centro.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  5. mxl360's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I unplug my phone every night after it's fully charged, and like you don't touch it until I get up in the morning. This morning, because of this thread, I looked at it and it was at 97%. This was with the radio on, as I never turn it off. You don't mention if your's is off or on during the night. But to me, that means the phone is using only 9% a day in standby mode, going over 11 days without a charge (and use, of course). That seems pretty fair to me. Now, if you're getting a faster drain in normal use, that's a different story. I am far from a power user, but I've never had to worry about battery life on my Centro.
    When you say Radio you mean Sprint being powered on? Then Yes that 3% (8 hours standby) drain is with my Radio on.
  6. eTard's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    When you say Radio you mean Sprint being powered on? Then Yes that 3% (8 hours standby) drain is with my Radio on.
    yeah, your "radio" is the phone portion of the PDA since you can use this phone as a PDA without the actual phone (e.g., radio) on.
  7. mr.c's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    #27  
    I never had battery drain issues until I loaded the Facebook app a few days ago. I'm going to make sure I start "exiting" to a different program before I turn the screen off to see if that makes a difference.
  8. #28  
    I have the facebook app installed with no problems.
  9. mxl360's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
       #29  
    Update:

    I'm getting the Green LED light again (unable to properly sleep).

    Interesting info:
    I made 4 backups since the Green LED disappeared. Every time I made a backup, I made sure the green led was able to be turned off. Since the green led came back I tried restoring to the previous backups. BUT none of them were able to make the green led turn off Except the first backup.

    The reason I made 4 other backups is because I might of changed my settings, contacts, preferences etc.


    I think after installing a program... you have to reset the phone before you can test if it cause the green light. That maybe the reason I never saw the green light in the previous Backups until I made a restore (which auto resets)

    Right now I've restored to the first backup and changing settings...and resetting to see if any of those would cause it.
    Last edited by mxl360; 06/26/2008 at 12:37 AM.
  10. mxl360's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
       #30  
    I think I just figured it out !!!!!! doing more testing =)


    ok here it is

    Follow these EASY steps.

    General Preferences> Power > turn Beam ON!

    MUST Reset the phone. NO MORE GREEN LED!

    I've believe the beam doesn't use much battery when it is not in use. If I look at the graph when the Centro goes to REAL SLEEP, the battery meter dips to below 10 mA (beam probably auto shuts off when in sleep mode).

    Post your results and tell me if i'm the MAN!

    BTW you have to keep the beam on. Now I have to pass this to PALM
    Last edited by mxl360; 06/26/2008 at 01:30 AM.
  11. #31  
    I hate to ask this and sound so stupid but I can't find Preferences - Power to do this. Please help, it is not under Preferences, the logical place on my phone.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I hate to ask this and sound so stupid but I can't find Preferences - Power to do this. Please help, it is not under Preferences, the logical place on my phone.
    Are you looking in Preferences from the launcher or preferences from the phone app, You won't find Power in the phone app prefs.

    Anyway, go to your launcher and select Preferences and then to Power. You'll see Beam on/off there.

  13. #33  
    Thanks, found it, trying it

    I have never had any problems with my phone's battery, have several 3rd party apps, none listed above, all have worked great, until I did the Palm 1.07 upgrade. Have had random freezes, resets, lost calls, and chewing the battery without any changes in programs.

    Two Service Centers said shouldn't have apps, did hard reset, nothing wrong, but lost 50% of battery last night while asleep. Ridiculous.

    I have Beam on, don't know why this will help, but what the heck, need to get rid of green light.
  14. #34  
    Update and thanks
    I turned on the beam, charged the phone to 99.9, left off charger.
    6 hours later, green light is off and only lost 3% in this time. This versus approx half of battery the night before.
    For some reason, this seems to be working, no other changes.

    Will keep checking, but looking good so BIG thanks to MXL360 for Beam advise, do not understand why, do not know how you spent that much meaningless time looking, but it is seeming to work for me!!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Update and thanks
    I turned on the beam, charged the phone to 99.9, left off charger.
    6 hours later, green light is off and only lost 3% in this time. This versus approx half of battery the night before.
    For some reason, this seems to be working, no other changes.

    Will keep checking, but looking good so BIG thanks to MXL360 for Beam advise, do not understand why, do not know how you spent that much meaningless time looking, but it is seeming to work for me!!
    I believe the evidence for this actually fixing the problem is anecdotal. Merely doing a soft reset of the Centro fixes the problem for a while until something triggers the REM sleep mode. Having the beam on or not has no effect one way or the other -- it may have just seemed that way because the soft reset temporarily cured the problem.
  16. mxl360's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
       #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Update and thanks
    I turned on the beam, charged the phone to 99.9, left off charger.
    6 hours later, green light is off and only lost 3% in this time. This versus approx half of battery the night before.
    For some reason, this seems to be working, no other changes.

    Will keep checking, but looking good so BIG thanks to MXL360 for Beam advise, do not understand why, do not know how you spent that much meaningless time looking, but it is seeming to work for me!!
    Did you have sprint ? After I updated the Rom to 1.07 I was able to turn my IR off w/o battery drain.
  17. mxl360's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc192000 View Post
    I believe the evidence for this actually fixing the problem is anecdotal. Merely doing a soft reset of the Centro fixes the problem for a while until something triggers the REM sleep mode. Having the beam on or not has no effect one way or the other -- it may have just seemed that way because the soft reset temporarily cured the problem.
    The evidence was my turning on IR then reset and the green LED would shut off. Turn the IR off then reset and the green LED turns on. Did this 100 times....all other variables constant, same result. I dont claim this to occur on any phone, but mine.
  18. #38  
    Any battery drain for me occurs if I use data. If I only use the phone itself, it lasts for more than 1 day. When the power is on it is drawing 115mah is that normal?
  19. #39  
    Yes data will drain your battery quicker, that's normal.
  20. sfhub's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    #40  
    Making phone calls uses the most power. Using network data is the 2nd most.

    People don't usually notice a rapid battery drain if they are actively using voice or data because there is a correlation between usage and battery drain.

    Where they notice rapid battery drain is usually when something is happening in the background that they don't realize, either network or TGP. In those cases, you won't use your phone at all and lose half the battery life in a few hours.

    To give you an idea of the magnitudes of the various battery drains, phone calls are around 350mA, network/data is around 150mA (assuming light not constant data), phone in sleep mode is around 3mA, ang TGP bug is around 35mA. These are all over 5 minutes as reported by PowerHero.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions