Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Im a little confused . I have been reading about all the new phones coming out and i cant seem to make heads or tails of whats next in terms of palm os.
    I have read about googles.... linux.....ect

    I think i read somewhere that googles will be coming out with a phone that will run the OS. Is this true?

    Will they be coming out with a new os?
    will it be a treo 800p 850p 900p
    I like the os platform. should i be looking at the windows platform because there will be no more os coming out?

    can someone clear this up for me. How much longer will i have to live with my treo755p. dont get me wrong i love it cause of all the applications that i can add.
    The new phones i see coming out the iphone the touch the instinct i hear dont allow you to do that.
    whats coming out thats going to allow me to use my palm stuff?
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 06/20/2008 at 11:19 AM.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  2. #2  
    Colligan has given several interviews about upcoming Palm devices. Unfortunately, he has said a lot, without saying much, if you get my drift. The new OS will be a Linux OS, that from what he has said in the past will still have an old Palm OS mode. In his initial interviews he led people to believe that newer Palm OS devices, such as the 755p and the Centro would be able to update to the new Linux OS. However, since then his statements have hinted at three tiers of phones, the old Palm OS via the Centro will continue to be made, even after the new Linux OS comes out; the new Linux OS, and the WM phones. So, my conclusion from this is there is no way to draw a conclusion of what is going to happen with those of us in the Palm OS phones. We just have to wait to see what options are going to be offered either via the current Palm OS or the new Linux OS. By the way, the new Linux OS is set to come out either the first or second quarter of 2009.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl View Post
    The new phones i see coming out the iphone the touch the instinct don allow you to do that.
    Actually, that is misinformation about the Instinct. The Instinct has BREW running on it so you can add a good amount of the MIDP JAVA application that exist already. It is just like adding applications for the Treo only a different language. Sprint has also release a developer kit for the phone to develop JAVA apps for the phone. I think this might cause a surge of reinterest in the JAVA micro platform.
    iPhone has an SDK as well to add applications to its platform but I have not looked at it too closely so cannot speak to it.
    Just an FYI.
    Apple Newton/Palm III/Palm V/Treo 180/Treo 300/Treo 650/Treo 700/Treo 755
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by woofytexan View Post
    Actually, that is misinformation about the Instinct. The Instinct has BREW running on it so you can add a good amount of the MIDP JAVA application that exist already. It is just like adding applications for the Treo only a different language. Sprint has also release a developer kit for the phone to develop JAVA apps for the phone. I think this might cause a surge of reinterest in the JAVA micro platform.
    iPhone has an SDK as well to add applications to its platform but I have not looked at it too closely so cannot speak to it.
    Just an FYI.
    so you saying i can take my palm stuff?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  5. #5  
    Not necessarily take it, though if the developer sees fit to make it work...

    I have used convergent devices since the Kyocera 6135 started and though I have had 3 WM devices, I have kept coming back for one reason or another. The main reason being one-handed operation, memory and the want of a "newer" OS. Well, the Centro has worked very well for me and does almost everything I want. The 800W though fulfills the 3 desires I am wanting. One-handed operation will not be as one-handed as the Palm, but the other 2 factors fit the bill.

    I use Documents to Go (Word and Excel esp) and HanDBase extensively. What I will be missing though is performance in the realm that ChatterEmail provides and if I do come back to Palm, it will be for the email reason. From my wife's Blackberry experience I have not become its fan. What the Blackberry does, the current line of Palm OS devices do very well.

    So just prior to the 800W hitting the shelf, I will once again start looking for a decent email client.
  6. #6  
    It depends. Any program that is coded specifically for the PalmOS will not be able to go. But, you can check with the manufacturer and see if they have written the application for multiple platforms, ie JAVA, Windows, Symbian, etc.
    If not, there maybe a program out there written by someone else that could work nearly as well (missing a couple of features that you could live without), just as well (same features), or better than the program (they added that one or two feature you've always wanted).
    I would wait a couple of months before making any decisions to move to another phone.
    I like the Instinct since I've done JAVA programming in the past and could write an application if I were desperate for it. It does not have WiFi which is my only real gripe.
    I like the iPhone as well for the style and look but it is limited on functionality. Text only (no MMS to attaching pictures), limited on programs (for now. SDK just released should offset that), no interchangable battery, high monthly bill to name a few.
    I could go on about the new Nokia N95 or Sony Ericsson with 8.1 camera. But that would confuse the situation even more. *g*
    Hope this helps.
    Apple Newton/Palm III/Palm V/Treo 180/Treo 300/Treo 650/Treo 700/Treo 755
  7. UserOne
    UserOne's Avatar
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by woofytexan View Post
    If not, there maybe a program out there written by someone else that could work nearly as well (missing a couple of features that you could live without), just as well (same features), or better than the program (they added that one or two feature you've always wanted).
    That is what I would recommend as well. When I switched from BlackBerry back to a Palm, I simply found similar programs for the Palm that did "roughly" the same thing as the ones I had on the BB. There are a few "nitpicks" here and there that are missing, but for the most part, the Palm OS apps are a bit better (for my needs atleast) than the old BB ones I used to use.

    Just my .02... L8R
  8.    #8  
    what is asking is will there be another os
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  9. #9  
    Does your 755 fail to do something you really need to do?

    If not, then why not keep it, and enjoy using the money you would spend on a new phone on something else (or put it in the bank).

    I really don't understand the need many of us feel to replace a perfectly functional phone, just for the sake of having something new.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Does your 755 fail to do something you really need to do?

    If not, then why not keep it, and enjoy using the money you would spend on a new phone on something else (or put it in the bank).

    I really don't understand the need many of us feel to replace a perfectly functional phone, just for the sake of having something new.
    Nothing is wrong with my treo . I was just asking with all the talk going around will there be new os coming out? I just like to know what others see for the future of os.

    I dont recall mentioning that i wanted a new one (phone)
    I look at it as investment . should i continue to buy software or should i just make due with what i have . I see that a few developers have started making more wm applications . and some have even stopped all together.

    sorry for asking
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  11. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #11  
    The PalmOS as is is kind of dead for a while - PalmOS 5.x was released in 2002 and haven't changed significantly after that. The Linux based phone with PalmOS compatibility layer is looking really promissing. It' is going to take some time for vendors however to jump on and develop some cool applications and tools for Linux based smartphones. Realistically it's probably going to take about 2 years at least to have something comparable. If you phone does everything you need you may wait for a 900p (or whatever they will call it).
    For me it's not about functioanlity. I'm geek and like to have cool geeky toys (GPS, Wifi, 2M camera,VGA screen) and can't wait for 2-3 years with the same boring phone )))),even so it does everything I need and more, so I'll probably jump on 800w or HTC Raphael, and learn WM6.1 while I'm waiting for the Linux dream phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    The PalmOS as is is kind of dead for a while - PalmOS 5.x was released in 2002 and haven't changed significantly after that. The Linux based phone with PalmOS compatibility layer is looking really promissing. It' is going to take some time for vendors however to jump on and develop some cool applications and tools for Linux based smartphones. Realistically it's probably going to take about 2 years at least to have something comparable. If you phone does everything you need you may wait for a 900p (or whatever they will call it).
    For me it's not about functioanlity. I'm geek and like to have cool geeky toys (GPS, Wifi, 2M camera,VGA screen) and can't wait for 2-3 years with the same boring phone )))),even so it does everything I need and more, so I'll probably jump on 800w or HTC Raphael, and learn WM6.1 while I'm waiting for the Linux dream phone.
    Thank you ..... thats all i was asking. just a little clear understanding as to what was going on.
    I to am a geek .....i like the cool stuff. i would like to see the os on a iphone type of phone except with a hard keyboard that will slide out. something like a sidekick..
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card

Posting Permissions