Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    What is it about the Treo or Sprint that does not allow us to laod Google Maps 2.X which uses towers to show where you are even w/o a gps capable phone--eg the Blackberry Curve from TMo?

    Is there a work-around?

    BB
  2. #2  
    palm didnt want to hand over the api.
  3. stbxxl's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    #3  
    That's really too bad. I think I recall that Palm made some sort of announcement that they actually would hand over the API - at least for the newer devices (Centro, 755p). But I might be wrong.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    What is it about the Treo or Sprint that does not allow us to laod Google Maps 2.X which uses towers to show where you are even w/o a gps capable phone
    Yeah I got all excited when I went to Google on my 755P and it said "now with location". I thought it recognized my device and updated Google Maps immediately. I kept trying to figure out what option or preference I was missing, or if it just "took a while" to figure out where I was....
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Yeah I got all excited when I went to Google on my 755P and it said "now with location". I thought it recognized my device and updated Google Maps immediately. I kept trying to figure out what option or preference I was missing, or if it just "took a while" to figure out where I was....
    LOL, don't feel bad, I did the same thing last week.
    <br>
  6. #6  
    Just download "MyLocation" free program-if you don't mind an ad on top. I like it.
  7. #7  
    Doesn't MyLocation only work for GSM phones?
  8. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #8  
    Yes, it's GSM only. Truth be told, it's hardly worth getting worked up over. It's far better than nothing, yes, but compared to even the cheapest standalone GPS unit or a BT GPS receiver + TomTom/Garmin software tower-assisted location finding leaves a lot to be desired.

    Palm should've just kep their mouth shut instead of promising Garnet fixes & updates that they have zero intention of delivering.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  9. #9  
    It has been a lot of bad moves made by Palm and Sprint over the years. I think it is just the greed talking. It has been both of them down fall, and now it has done them in. The king on the top of the mountain must continue to innovate and network with others to stay king
  10. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #10  
    consider buying a 30$ bluetooth GPS (keychain one perhaps) ,and use a program called "Where am I" it will give much more accuracy to goole maps then towers can ever do. Next if you still have some money left get TomTom or Gamin mobile XT for PalmOS ,and turn your treo in to advanced navigation system, with life traffic, weather, an millions points of interest.
  11. #11  
    FYI... Google Maps My Location Feature Available Tomorrow!!!

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...able-tomorrow/
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    FYI... Google Maps My Location Feature Available Tomorrow!!!

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...able-tomorrow/
    SWEEET! That's the one thing I missed from GM on my Nokia N73.
  13. #13  
    Ah crap it's only for the yanks...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    FYI... Google Maps My Location Feature Available Tomorrow!!!

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...able-tomorrow/
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1799-1.htm

    Google Maps for mobile with My Location will be available free for Centros, starting tomorrow.

    darn it!
  15. #15  
    Lame, I just got it, it's out and available now, but when I press '0' to get to "My Location" it says, "The MyLocation feature is not available for this device. It is available for Palm Centro phones"

    Hopefully someone thinks of a work around.
  16. #16  
    do you have GSM unlock phone
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    Lame, I just got it, it's out and available now, but when I press '0' to get to "My Location" it says, "The MyLocation feature is not available for this device. It is available for Palm Centro phones"

    Hopefully someone thinks of a work around.
    Are you on a Sprint device? If so, My Location isn't going to work until Sprint releases its update.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Are you on a Sprint device? If so, My Location isn't going to work until Sprint releases its update.
    Either Sprint releases updates quick or maybe i'll just wait and see 800w.. maybe time to say good bye to garnet
  19. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #19  
    The new My Location feature will only work on unlocked GSM Centros.... Sprint/Verizon CDMA/EVDO users get no love.
  20. PDR447's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    The new My Location feature will only work on unlocked GSM Centros.... Sprint/Verizon CDMA/EVDO users get no love.
    incorrect. it is for the unlocked centro, the att centro, AND the verizon centro.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions