Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    What besides My Location does V2 have that is not in v1.x?

BB
    In version 2.0.2.0 the Business seach was removed, but you can search for an address or a business with the 'search' button.

The business result screen has more expanded info.

The satelite view has the streets shaded a different color, the street and highway names and numbers are shown and arrows for direction of traffic flow at highway on/off ramp juctions.

Smoother scrolling....

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Don't me mad at Google, folks! We're lucky they're even supporting an antiquated, "competing" OS like Garnet! I mean, I wish Google would support 320x480 screens for Palm OS but Palm probably "leaned" on them to only support 320x320 so that the final large-screened Palm handhelds can be put out to pasture.

Direct any and ALL complaints/criticisms at Palm's marketing department! They've trying to create artificial limitations in the POS Treos to force users to the Centro, the same way they forced PDA users over to Treos over the past few years.
    So it sounds like you're saying that you're saying that our "old" 755p should be put the pasture? I think that's b*lls*t and Palm should be called on it. There's probably no technical reason for Palm not putting the APIs on the 755p, other than greed and a desire to push the (inferior, in my opinion) Centro or the 800w (if/when it comes out). You're treading on thin ice, Palm.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Please don't call the 775p "OLD"! I bought mine 2 days ago! I've had Palm PDAs since the first Pilot, but this is my first Palm phone. I think it may work out for me with some practice/experience. And I'd sure like those APIs that Palm is shafting us on.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    the same way they forced PDA users over to Treos over the past few years.
    I didnt get forced over to a Treo's, went right for the Centro!
    is there any way to use google maps, a treo 755p and my gps mouse device with bluetooth capability, or do i have to buy another gps software program that is 755p compatible? I have not been able to use google with bluetooth although my treo does recognize, and works with delorme street atlas and the gps mouse via bluetooth
    Quote Originally Posted by heyknee2 View Post
    is there any way to use google maps, a treo 755p and my gps mouse device with bluetooth capability, or do i have to buy another gps software program that is 755p compatible? I have not been able to use google with bluetooth although my treo does recognize, and works with delorme street atlas and the gps mouse via bluetooth
    Google maps doesn't work for us 755p users like that, just yet. You don't like Delorme's product, eh?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Hm. I finally, successfully installed "Where Am I" on my 755p. As a result, Google Maps can find where I am without me having to transfer gps coordinates (which I didn't even know was a language Google Maps Mobile could speak).

At first, I didn't know why this would be useful, but I like having another way to search for surrounding restaurants n whatnot.
    Last edited by west3man; 07/28/2008 at 10:18 AM.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Hm. I finally, successfully installed "Where Am I" on my 755p. As a result, Google Maps can find where I am without me having to transfer gps coordinates (which I didn't even know was a language Google Maps Mobile could speak).

At first, I didn't know why this would be useful, but I like having another way to search for surrounding restaurants n whatnot.
    I know I must have missed some post; what is WHERE AM I and where does it come from?

Thanks,

BB
    ^it's a 3rd party app that uses coordinates from your GPS receiver and submits to google maps to pinpoint your location. Works pretty well IMO. I can upload it but you can easily search for it in this forum.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    ^it's a 3rd party app that uses coordinates from your GPS receiver and submits to google maps to pinpoint your location. Works pretty well IMO. I can upload it but you can easily search for it in this forum.
    Many thanks Chem. I do not have and will not get a GPS receiver so guess that app is not useful for me. I thought he might have found a way of getting the 755p as is to do My Location on GM.

I just cannot figure out whether it is merely Palm's (Sprint's) not doing a f/w upgrade for the 755p or some subtle difference in the h/w that makes the Centro My Location compatible and the 755p dumb in that regard.

Thanks again,

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

I tried the gps mimic feature, which I assume is supposed to attempt to find your location without the use of a gps receiver, but it was wayyyyy off.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    I just cannot figure out whether it is merely Palm's (Sprint's) not doing a f/w upgrade for the 755p or some subtle difference in the h/w that makes the Centro My Location compatible and the 755p dumb in that regard.
    The chipset for the CDMA Treo 755p is different than the GSM chipset, and the Centro CDMA chipset is slightly different than the Treo 755p chipset. The API's are slightly different, too, and require certification with each carrier.

The fact that the 755p is being EOL's on Verizon (and soon apparently Sprint) would suggest that there's no intention to retrofit the chipset to work with 'My Location.'

And I did what others have done, which is acquire a small BT GPS receiver and download "Where Am I?" which plugs into Google Maps.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    The chipset for the CDMA Treo 755p is different than the GSM chipset, and the Centro CDMA chipset is slightly different than the Treo 755p chipset. The API's are slightly different, too, and require certification with each carrier.

The fact that the 755p is being EOL's on Verizon (and soon apparently Sprint) would suggest that there's no intention to retrofit the chipset to work with 'My Location.'

And I did what others have done, which is acquire a small BT GPS receiver and download "Where Am I?" which plugs into Google Maps.

Harold
    Looks like someone is going to have to get creative and make the new Centro ROM loadable on the 755p (like what someone was able to do with the 700 to 755p ROM).
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiden View Post
    Looks like someone is going to have to get creative and make the new Centro ROM loadable on the 755p (like what someone was able to do with the 700 to 755p ROM).
    I dig that people are resourceful and energetic and ballsy enough to do these things, but I don't muck around with my ROM (unless you count custom apps or whatever they're called).

I'd go without the functionality before I'd risk MORE instability.
    And speaking of being "second class," here's an excerpt of my post from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by west3man
    [...]
    One more thing: I went to Google's Google Maps site for mobile devices and they have [correction:] the following categories:

BlackBerry
    Windows Mobile
    iPhone
    Nokia smartphone
    Nokia standard phone
    Motorola
    Sony Ericsson
    Samsung
    Other

Apparently (non-Windows Mobile) Treo's only rank as high as "Other."

That's sad, man - and not just for the 755p - but for Palm and those of us who dig Palm devices.
    Just saw that Palm has released an update that makes My Location work on Sprint Centros.

No word on 755p yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by raka View Post
    No word on 755p yet?

The 755 isn't capable of supporting this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    The 755 isn't capable of supporting this feature.
    If that's the case how does the Family locator that Sprint sells work? They don't seem to have any problem figuring out where my phone is.
    Aha! Good question
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    That's the one that gets me also. If Sprint can track my location and post is on a map on a web site, then why can tell me where I am on my phone?! The answer appears to be, "because that's what Sprint chooses". Someone will hack around this at some point and I anxiously await.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast