Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    The latest version can be downloaded to your phone using

m.google.com

I downloaded it to my 755p. The MyLocation feature is now listed in the menu, but selecting it brings up a location unknown screen which says:

"The My Location feature is not available for this device. It is available of Palm Centro phones.

MY LOCATION
    My Location (beta) can save you time. On a Palm Centro, press [0] to move the map to your approximate location.

This sends anonymous radio information from nearby mobile towers to Google servers which will then estimate your phone's location on the map.

We are working to improve our coverage but there may be areas where coverage is incomplete."
    I have an unlocked Tmobile 680 and it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    incorrect. it is for the unlocked centro, the att centro, AND the verizon centro.
    so is this pretty much means sprint users are out of luck???
    <rant> Man, I got excited when I read the Google article yesterday. I thought that it would work on the 755p also. This sucks! I guess I will never have the Location feature since I am on Sprint AND have a 755p. Oh well.</rant>
    My Location will never be available for "older Treos" according to Google, especially CDMA versions.
    "Unfortunately, older Palm models such as the Treos don't have the APIs needed to get the cell tower data, so My Location is not available on these models." http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...your-palm.html

There is a GSM program that some users have had success with for location triangulation. http://www.razix.net/mloc/

Be that as it is, the new version will allow "older Treos" to see new hybrid views, provide a improved interface for searching, and an improved scrolling step-by-step than can be copied to the clipboard.

So the update seems to be worth it but do not expect My Location to work with this release unless you have a Centro.
    Apple Newton/Palm III/Palm V/Treo 180/Treo 300/Treo 650/Treo 700/Treo 755
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania View Post
    so is this pretty much means sprint users are out of luck???
    sprint is supposed to get it on the centro later this summer(needs a software update).

I'm still curious if the VZW 755p software update coming later this summer will allow for "my location".
    Grr
    Just downloaded and installed. Got the message about the Centro. One question, since Google Maps came pre-installed on the 755p, was it installed in ROM or software? What does installing version 2 do to the preinstalled version?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Just downloaded and installed. Got the message about the Centro. One question, since Google Maps came pre-installed on the 755p, was it installed in ROM or software? What does installing version 2 do to the preinstalled version?

Just to chime in on what I found on my Sprint 755p... The pre-loaded (I have not updated yet) GoogleMaps on my 755p is loaded into the ROM according to "Destaller Lite" (uninstaller program from rogame.com) and says it "cannot be uninstalled". FWIW, I am still on Sprint's 1.04 update... not the 1.07.

L8R
    Centro & 755p have the same OS (isn't it?).

I believe that if it starts working on the Centro, the gurus will find a way to make it work on the 755. *crosses fingers*

shadowmite was "the guru" a while ago - i haven't tracked this for 6 mnths, so i don't know the new gurus
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    Just to chime in on what I found on my Sprint 755p... The pre-loaded (I have not updated yet) GoogleMaps on my 755p is loaded into the ROM according to "Destaller Lite" (uninstaller program from rogame.com) and says it "cannot be uninstalled". FWIW, I am still on Sprint's 1.04 update... not the 1.07.

L8R
    Mine came with 1.07 factory installed. When I upgraded to 2.0, it didn't change the icon on the screen, or add a second one. That is what I was expecting if the original program was in ROM, having one in ROM and one in RAM. I wonder if I uninstall 2.0, will it revert to the one that shipped with the device.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Folks,

Please post your opinion about Palm leaving 755p owners out in the cold at this forum:

May not help, but doesn't hurt b.tching at palm!
  13.    #33  
    Just did, thanks raka.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by woofytexan View Post
    My Location will never be available for "older Treos" according to Google, especially CDMA versions.
    Just so people who don't follow the link don't get upset, Google doesn't say it will "never" be available for older Treos, just that it isn't. Which isn't to say that Palm will ever release the APIs for the 755p, and isn't to say that Sprint will ever tell Palm what palm needs to know to write the APIs to work with Sprint's cell tower data.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Don't me mad at Google, folks! We're lucky they're even supporting an antiquated, "competing" OS like Garnet! I mean, I wish Google would support 320x480 screens for Palm OS but Palm probably "leaned" on them to only support 320x320 so that the final large-screened Palm handhelds can be put out to pasture.

Direct any and ALL complaints/criticisms at Palm's marketing department! They've trying to create artificial limitations in the POS Treos to force users to the Centro, the same way they forced PDA users over to Treos over the past few years.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Mine came with 1.07 factory installed. When I upgraded to 2.0, it didn't change the icon on the screen, or add a second one. That is what I was expecting if the original program was in ROM, having one in ROM and one in RAM.
    And you have them there. Even though there is only one icon, right now you have the two versions in your phone.

I wonder if I uninstall 2.0, will it revert to the one that shipped with the device.
    Yes, it will. Well, it wont exactly "revert", because it was never overwritten by version 2.0. The new 2.0 was installed separately from the old one. Old version was like ... just sitting there all the time. LOL. It will just show up again.
    Well something had to have happened somewhere to cause the on screen icon to call up the version 2.0 program and not the older 1.x that was installed. Is the Palm OS smart enought to know that if it has two different versions of the same program and to call up the newest one? I would think that logically you should see both versions, and be able to call up either one.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    It's probably easiest to think of the newer version (ie the RAM-resident one) as "overlays" to the ROM-resident version. That's how it's always been handled throughout OS 5. Earlier Palm OS devices didn't come with much of a software bundle in ROM aside from the basic PIM apps, so this really hasn't become that much of an issue until the past 5 years or so.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Is the Palm OS smart enought to know that if it has two different versions of the same program and to call up the newest one? I would think that logically you should see both versions, and be able to call up either one.
    I am.

For example, I have installed tryDA on my 755p. If I click on the Google Maps icon, version 2.0 comes up. But if I open the Maps feature on tryDA, put in an adress and click Find, what version of Google Maps shows up? Yes, the old pre-installed (ROM) version. So there you have it, I actually AM able to call up either one.

20.    #40  
    What besides My Location does V2 have that is not in v1.x?

BB
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast