Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is the largest external size card the Treo 755p will support? I'm currently using a 4gb micro w/adaptor, but was curious if it would support 8 or 16gb sized cards.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What is the largest external size card the Treo 755p will support? I'm currently using a 4gb micro w/adaptor, but was curious if it would support 8 or 16gb sized cards.
    I'm using an 8GB micro with mini adapter. Other than the issues mentioned in other threads, it works fine. I have it over half full so it works a little better with the POS 32bit limit of 4GB.

I just saw a 16GB go on sale and was so tempted to get it... even though I've only have my 755P for 2 weeks, and my card for 1 week...
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    where can we get 8g and/or 16g micro SD with mini adaper?
    thanks
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by yskim View Post
    thanks
    I see a lot of cards being sold as SD/miniSD/microSD cards. Our local Fry's store sells many 1gb/2gb micros with the SD and miniSD adaptor, I'm sure other stores do as well. You could by one of the small sized ones to get the adaptor.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I'm using an 8GB micro with mini adapter. Other than the issues mentioned in other threads, it works fine. I have it over half full so it works a little better with the POS 32bit limit of 4GB.

I just saw a 16GB go on sale and was so tempted to get it... even though I've only have my 755P for 2 weeks, and my card for 1 week...
    What do you mean the 32bit limit? Is your card formatted for FAT32 or NTFS? Does the phone see it as 4 or 8gb?

Quote Originally Posted by yskim View Post
    thanks
    I was looking on Amazon, Newegg, and comparing with results from Froogle.com.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    What do you mean the 32bit limit?
    Ok, so warning- I'm going to get all computer sciency.

The Palm OS has a hard limit of 32 bits for memory addressing. I doubt we need to worry about that with respect to RAM, but with SD cards it hurts. 32bits limits us to 4gigabytes of space. The SDHC standard is meant to expand SD card sizes from 2GB and up, so it's meant for higher capacities.

When you put a fresh 8GB card into a Palm device, the size counter "wraps around" when trying to tally up all the space- once the counter hits 4GB, when it adds another byte of free space to the counter it "increases" the counter to 0. Add another byte- 1.... etc. The 32bit counter can only count so high so when it falls off the end it goes to 0. Effectively starting the count over (assuming they use unsigned integers which anything else would be silly and makes it way more complicated with negative values).

This does weird things in POS native apps like the camera when it thinks you don't have enough free space to take another picture and you're like

My solution: fill the card with more than 4GB of data. Easily done with all my stuff and mp3s for pTunes. Now the free space is less than the limit, and the free space counter is accurate.

Is your card formatted for FAT32 or NTFS? Does the phone see it as 4 or 8gb?
    POS devices can't read NTFS cards- my card is formatted for FAT32, which is slightly confusing because in this case the 32bits is just used to hold cluster values, where each cluster can hold 512bits to 32KB of sector data- the limit is 8TeraBytes with 32KB clusters.

Long story short- with the 8GB card filled just slightly over half-way, the Palm shows 4GB of free space. No matter what you can store 8GB of data on it, but some apps will behave oddly.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  8.    #8  
    FWIW, I just purchased a Sandisk 8gb microSD card and reader. I put the card into my Sandisc microSD to miniSD adaptor, and it did not even register a card was inserted when I put it in the phone. I swapped between my 4gb Kingston and 8gb Sandisk cards, and the 4gb was always read and the 8gb was never seen. I returned the 8gb card, I wasn't going to waste $60 just to see if something worked.

FWIW, I just purchased a Sandisk 8gb microSD card and reader. I put the card into my Sandisc microSD to miniSD adaptor, and it did not even register a card was inserted when I put it in the phone. I swapped between my 4gb Kingston and 8gb Sandisk cards, and the 4gb was always read and the 8gb was never seen. I returned the 8gb card, I wasn't going to waste $60 just to see if something worked.
    Interesting. Sorry to hear that. I also have a Sandisk 8GB microSD, and the Sandisk microSD to miniSD adaptor, and it works fine. I have a Sandisk multi-reader, so I've been using a microSD to SD converter when I use it with my reader.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  10.    #10  
    It's possible it was a bad card, but I was in somewhat of a hurry. The store wouldn't let me test it without buying it first. I'll search around and see if I can find another one. Just out of curiosity, how much memory do you see on yours if you insert it with <4gb of data on it? Does it go up to 4gb, then start over as you exceede the 4gb level (ie, with 3.5gb of data, would show 0.5gb free or 4.5gb; with 6 gb of data, would it show 2gb free.

Just out of curiosity, how much memory do you see on yours if you insert it with <4gb of data on it? Does it go up to 4gb, then start over as you exceede the 4gb level (ie, with 3.5gb of data, would show 0.5gb free or 4.5gb; with 6 gb of data, would it show 2gb free.

Wow. So there were a lot of numbers in there, and I'm not great with numbers. Incidentally, the Treo 32bit limit does not affect CardReader. Let me start with this:

Mac: 2.11GB Free, 5.49GB Used- Total 7.6GB
    Treo: 2,176MB Free, 3,686.5 Total

So the Treo will never show more than 3686MB free. When there is more than that it like "rotates" through as I explained above. I'm horrible at applying the theory I know so well above to real numbers.

To try using your numbers:
    3.5GB of data would probably show 100-ish MB free.
    6GB of data (and anything over 4GB for an 8GB card) would show the correct amount free.

Obviously a 16GB card would make this much harder for me to calculate because of the multiple rotations!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for taking the time to expain it. I think the best way is to think of the Treo seeing it as two 4gb cards. When the first 4gb fills up, then it strarts showing the second 4gb.

Thanks again

13. UserOne
    Hrmm... I have recently taken on the habit of watching movies on my Treo during long commutes (I'm not driving, of course) or breaks in the day and have run into the issue of 4GB cards getting a little "cramped" . So, I might try this 8GB trick as well.

It seems that MiniSD cards are rather difficult to find in my area, so I will prob end up having to use the microSD to MiniSD adapter that is mentioned above. If I end up trying it I'll post up my results as well.

Thanx again for posting this up... If it works on my 755p it will be a godsend!

L8R
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post

It seems that MiniSD cards are rather difficult to find in my area, so I will prob end up having to use the microSD to MiniSD adapter that is mentioned above. If I end up trying it I'll post up my results as well.

Thanx again for posting this up... If it works on my 755p it will be a godsend!

L8R
    I'm not able to find any kind of minSD cards in my area. They are mostly SD sized, or microSD w/adaptor. The real popular thing I see is a microSD card and a mini- and standard SD- adaptors. Not a bad deal, except I know there can be some issues using adaptors. If you look at the instructions to upgrade the firmware on the Treos on the Palm site, it says to specifically not use a card with an adaptor. Makes one wonder.

People have done the update with adapters with no issues though.
    I'm not up with it but is 8 gb micro sdhc the biggest that is out? I could have sworn there was a 12 or 16gb micro sdhc card to put in a mini adapter.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    I'm not up with it but is 8 gb micro sdhc the biggest that is out? I could have sworn there was a 12 or 16gb micro sdhc card to put in a mini adapter.
    I've seen 16gb standard SDHC cards, but no micros. It's most likely only a matter of time however.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    People have done the update with adapters with no issues though.
    I'm not saying it couldn't be done, only that Palm recommends not doing it.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te/sprint.html

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, only that Palm recommends not doing it.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te/sprint.html

Yeah I had no option since I couldn't find any miniSD, only micro. It worked fine, but I was sweating.

Plus I have the 30 days "no questions asked" return policy with Sprint and figured what the heck!

Being the geek I am, I flashed it the day I got it. I had already downloaded the update prior to buying the phone.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  20.    #20  
    How long did you have your phone? I just got mine and it had the latest upgrade on it, the 1.07 I think. My carrier is Sprint, btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast