Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    How long did you have your phone? I just got mine and it had the latest upgrade on it, the 1.07 I think. My carrier is Sprint, btw.
    Yeah I was disappointed that it didn't come with the 1.07 update. I got my phone on 5/30, and it was drop shipped from Sprint directly to me, which I thought would mean it would be newer since it wouldn't be sitting around in a brick and mortar store, but I guess it doesn't make much of a difference.

It certainly made me appreciate the fix for the DTMF tone bug that I had been reading about though!!

I'm such a technowhore that I was jealous to read someone else had received a Rev.B hardware and mine is Rev.A!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  2. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I'm not able to find any kind of minSD cards in my area. They are mostly SD sized, or microSD w/adaptor. The real popular thing I see is a microSD card and a mini- and standard SD- adaptors. Not a bad deal, except I know there can be some issues using adaptors. If you look at the instructions to upgrade the firmware on the Treos on the Palm site, it says to specifically not use a card with an adaptor. Makes one wonder.

Sorry for the somewhat late reply... bit hectic at work lately.

Anyways, I have the same problem with MiniSD not being available. Circuit City and Best Buy both told me that I was out of luck and they don't carry MiniSD cards in my area. The only place I found that did carry MiniSD is CompUSA, but they only had 1GB & 2GB varieties. CompUSA recently went under and sold off alot of their stores, so they may be hard to find in your area. The one near me was purchased by the same company that owns TigerDirect.com and is simply using it as their retail outlet.

L8R
  3.    #23  
    We have a Fry's Electronics in our area. I don't know if you're familiar with them or not, but they are a California-based chain that specializes in high tech products. They sell everything from connectors and cabling, test equipment, components, tv/stereo, appliances, just about anything in any price range. They don't have any minSD cards at all and few if any standard SD ones. I'd like to find a standard sized 4gb non-SDHC card but they're hard to come by.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    Sorry for the somewhat late reply... bit hectic at work lately.

Anyways, I have the same problem with MiniSD not being available. Circuit City and Best Buy both told me that I was out of luck and they don't carry MiniSD cards in my area. The only place I found that did carry MiniSD is CompUSA, but they only had 1GB & 2GB varieties. CompUSA recently went under and sold off alot of their stores, so they may be hard to find in your area. The one near me was purchased by the same company that owns TigerDirect.com and is simply using it as their retail outlet.
    From what I understand miniSD is largely abandoned. It was an in between standard that was slowly adopted and then quickly surpassed by microSD, unfortunately for us.

What you'll find floating around is old stock that hasn't been sold off yet, but from what I understand very little effort is being put into new larger capacity cards.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I didn't review the full thread, but I purchased my 8gb mini from newegg a few weeks back. $29 + shipping!
    How much was shipping?

The cheapest I could manage was 39.95 shipped for a sandisk 8gb microsd with mini adapter. Should be here in a day of two.
    $5ish
  8.    #28  
    What brand of card did you get? I got an 8gb Sandisk microSD from Frys, and my phone wouldn't even see that it was inserted into it using the miniSD adaptor. I took it right back. So far I haven't tried any others. That one was $59 out the door w/no rebates of any kind.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Mine is a Patriot class 6. Very good card thus far
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I just picked up an 8gb card (buy.com >> $37). And of course, being a guy, I didn't bother to READ anything on this forum or elsewhere before throwing it into my 755p.

So, I plug in the card - no problem recognizing the card, but only 4gb showing free. That concerns me, so I hop on Palm's website and see that they only confirm 4gb cards being TESTED. Now, I just assume that they never bothered to test anything beyond 4gb, and that my shiny new 8gb card must work, so I try to reformat the card in the Treo. Big mistake! The Treo has been showing "Formatting . . . " for almost 10 min. I suppose it's locked up due to the memory address limitations mentioned at the start of this thread. If only I had read first !!

Anyhow, can one of you experienced folks enlighten me on formatting? Do you format with a card reader? Any spec's for the format?

Also, do you copy files with a reader? Anyone do file transfers w/ the Palm connected to the PC? My primary use for the card was to store audio files (some music, some speech). Just curious how people keep track of large quantities of mp3 files.

- Jeff L.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewis View Post
    I just picked up an 8gb card (buy.com >> $37). And of course, being a guy, I didn't bother to READ anything on this forum or elsewhere before throwing it into my 755p.

So, I plug in the card - no problem recognizing the card, but only 4gb showing free. That concerns me, so I hop on Palm's website and see that they only confirm 4gb cards being TESTED. Now, I just assume that they never bothered to test anything beyond 4gb, and that my shiny new 8gb card must work, so I try to reformat the card in the Treo. Big mistake! The Treo has been showing "Formatting . . . " for almost 10 min. I suppose it's locked up due to the memory address limitations mentioned at the start of this thread. If only I had read first !!

Anyhow, can one of you experienced folks enlighten me on formatting? Do you format with a card reader? Any spec's for the format?

Also, do you copy files with a reader? Anyone do file transfers w/ the Palm connected to the PC? My primary use for the card was to store audio files (some music, some speech). Just curious how people keep track of large quantities of mp3 files.

- Jeff L.
    Ive only found trouble whenever Ive tried to format my cards. Since I quit formatting them Ive had no issues.

It should work right out of the "box" without formatting.

I use a 16GB SDHC card on my 700P and I think of it as 4 separate cards of 4GB. Thats the only way I can keep it straight in my head while its in the 700. When I put it in my reader for my PC, (which is alot and often) I see how much space I actually have... this helps so much. Ive got thousands of pix and hundreds of MP3s on it and both Resco Picture Viewer and PocketTunes see everying on the card with no issues. I forgot to mention Resco Backup. These are the main apps I use my card for so thats all I really care about, that those apps see the full content no matter what the OS says the card has. It helps that CardReader sees the true ammount too.

I hope this helps.

FWIW, Ive just bought my wife a 8GB Micro SD card for her Centro for Christmas. Ill let you all know how well it works.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I found the answer on Wikipedia:

20 mm x 21.5 mm x 1.4 mm

Your welcome, Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I've been using a Sandisk 8gb on my 755p (Verizon) with no problem. Using a cardreader, I transferred everything from my 4gb to my computer, then from my computer to the 8gb, and then popped the 8gb right into my Treo.

With the 8gb, after it got to 0% free space, it then started to show 110% free space. It doesn't worry me too much, as long as the card is working, and I can access all my pics and music and etc. I can easily see how much free space I actually have by using Card Reader.

I did notice though that if I Hotsync, I will lose some of my documents in Doc2Go. It says that I don't have enough space on my handheld, even though all my documents are stored on my card. To work around that, I just don't hotsync that much, and if I really want a document to be "in sync" with my computer, then I can easily just email it to myself.

I use Resco Explorer to view everything that is on my card, or I use Card Reader.

In other words, yes you CAN use an 8gb card in a Treo 755p.

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Well, my 8gb card seems to be working in the 755p, but my computer won't recognize it in a card reader. I can transfer music files via pTunes, I just can't transfer files directly to the card via USB port.

- Jeff L.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewis View Post
    Well, my 8gb card seems to be working in the 755p, but my computer won't recognize it in a card reader. I can transfer music files via pTunes, I just can't transfer files directly to the card via USB port.

- Jeff L.
    Hmmmm......... then I guess I don't know what to tell you. Other than, yes, the 8gb should work in the 755p, EVEN though, it initially only shows the first 4gb, but once you use 4gb, it'll still allow you to use the rest of the 4gb. (Hope that makes sense).

Like I posted already, I have no problem transferring files to/from my computer via USB cable using Card Reader, or removing my 8gb and putting it in a card reader.

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    I read somewhere here that 8gb will work with the 755p, but you will only see 4gb although it will read and write all of the 8gb - the trick was to fill the card with at least 4gb and the remaining size will be accurate.

As for with experimenting with different card formats, it was thought best to use the format right out of the box, doing otherwise would end up in kind of a endloop of formating forever if done either from the pc or phone - if you need to format the card there is a special utility to format the card properly. This is all from what I remember thru reading all of the posts a long time ago.

But here is some information - I had to use the formatter on one of my 4gb class 6 cards and it worked fine.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=159563

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

UninstallingProcedure to Uninstall the SD/SDHC Memory Card formatting softwareExample for Windows 98 users)
    Click on "Start, then"Settings","Control Panel",Add/Remove Programs and select the program you wish to uninstall and then click on Add/Remove.

Notes
    Do not format recordable media other than SD/SDHC Memory Cards using this software. If you have mistakenly formatted a recordable media other than the SD/SDHC Memory Card, reformat the media using the appropriate formatting software that came with the media.
    Do not remove the SD/SDHC Memory Card while formatting.
    Once formatting has started, all previously recorded data will be erased.
    Do not format the SD/SDHC Memory Card while the write protection switch is on.
    If the SD formatting software does not recognize the SD/SDHC Memory Card, re-insert the card and click on "Refresh".
    SD formatting is not possible on unrecognizable "removable drives".
    Cannot be used on a Macintosh system.
    This software does not cope with the copyright protection. If you use a card for some equipment with copyright protection such as SD Audio Player, the formatting must be done by the specific formatting software prepared by the equipment provider.
    In some cases SD/SDHC Memory Cards may not be recognized by the SD formatting software immediately after installation of SD/SDHC Memory Card compatible reader/writer driver software. If this occurs, re-start your computer and try again.
    If you are using a USB drive and the SD formatting software does not recognize the SD/SDHC Memory Card even after re-inserting it, remove the USB cable while the SD/SDHC Memory Card is still inserted in the drive and after about 10 seconds reconnect the USB cable and click on the "Refresh" button.
    Some reader/writers cannot use "erase operation".
    In case of formatting of SDHC Memory Card, the reader/writer supporting SDHC Memory Card is needed.

Good Luck! Hope it helps!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12