Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do any of you centro (and former Treo) owners have an Ipod of 8 gig or less? If so, what do you see as the necessity for having an Ipod if you also have a centro and a 4 or 8 gig card? I have purchased an ipod which I may return because I don't see the benefit of it over the centro. And one thing I like about the centro is that you can use blue tooth wireless stereo headset without any kind of device attached to centro, thus keeping the small form factor intact.

I'm a missing something here if I only need an ipod of 8 gig?
    John 3:16
  2.    #2  
    Okay, 22 views and no replies -- just wondering if maybe those who have both Ipod and Centro have a much larger Ipod?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    After I got my Centro, I gave my iPod to my husband. The Centro is a little heavier to wear while running, but being able to use a bluetooth stereo headset is worth the tradeoff. And, running the phone through my car's aux. input, I can listen to music and respond to calls through the car's speakers (using the Centro mic - have gotten no complaints about the sound of my voice from people on the other end of the calls).
    I have a 755p not a centro but I can tell you that I have found a dedicated ipod to be better than mp3 with the treo. I use chatter and have found that there was a lot of skipping on the Treo. An ipod is made for music/podcast etc and just plain 'works'. The Treo is good as a backup for music but the ipod is still my primary device for music and podcasts.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  5.    #5  
    Can I ask what car adapter you have and where you purchased? Does it have to be professionally installed?
    For heavy music and video use the Centro battery doesn't hold up over the course of a day. For example if you are listening to music for 8 hours at your job plus calling, using email, web etc. It's also on the heavy and bulky side for use when running and if you damage it while excercising you will have to replace it at full retail price, which is $399 at Sprint. But people have used much bulkier music players for years with few complaints, so the bulk shouldn't be that big of an issue.

For my music needs, it works just fine. Not as slick to use as my wife's Nano but it gets the job done. My biggest complaint is having to unlock the phone to adjust volume.

Phil
  7.    #7  
    I haven't tried podcasts yet so I'll see if it's better than the centro. Thanks for all your responses!
    Sometimes, "swiss-army" devices (or devices with multiple features) are a nuisance. They are good for occassional use, but can be tiresome if one needs to use features continuously and at the same time. Better to have two (or multiple) devices, I think.
    I 5th that, though not for drinking. Occasional use of the Centro for music has it doing well. If I were heavy in to music and was concerned about killing the battery on the Centro, an iPod would be seriously considered. Since I do not listen to much noise...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have an iPod for music

I have a centro as a phone... it is not a legit music player in my mind in any way shape or form
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    I have an iPod for music

I have a centro as a phone... it is not a legit music player in my mind in any way shape or form
    Well, the Centro does play most all formats of music just fine for a few hours each day, which is what most people are looking for in a music player.

My Centro isn't the best telephony device out there, but that doesn't mean I need a seperate phone for making calls.

I gave up using a separate MP3 player and started using my Centro. Unfortunately, using the music player eats up lots of battery power (probably would run out after 8 solid hours). However, I brought the power plug to work and just keep the thing plugged in while I listen. My MP3 player couldn't play music and recharge at the same time so 4 hours later, I had no music.

I also use my centro for music/audio books on the airplane. It's far easier than bringing a second device and it lasts long enough for most average airplane rides. I have the battery powered recharger from IGo and will try to use that to recharge on the airplane when there isn't an outlet at the seat.

I figure that I am going to carry my phone everywhere...why bring something else? The music quality is "good enough" for me.
    Since I got my Centro, my iPod has been sitting in the car glove compartment hooked to the stereo. I use the Centro daily for podcasts and the occasional track. I have my favorites on a 4GB card and pTunes is a fine app.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmy600 View Post
    Do any of you centro (and former Treo) owners have an Ipod of 8 gig or less? If so, what do you see as the necessity for having an Ipod if you also have a centro and a 4 or 8 gig card? I have purchased an ipod which I may return because I don't see the benefit of it over the centro. And one thing I like about the centro is that you can use blue tooth wireless stereo headset without any kind of device attached to centro, thus keeping the small form factor intact.

I'm a missing something here if I only need an ipod of 8 gig?
    I can think of a number of reasons:

• Battery life: Adding music and video to heavy data and phone usage might cause people to use up their battery too quickly. Of course the Centro's battery is replaceable, so it just might be easier to just carry a Centro and a spare battery than to carry a Centro and an iPod. On the other hand, the iPod Nano is only slightly larger than my Treo 680's battery so you may not be saving that much bulk by carrying a spare battery instead of a Centro.
    • 2.5mm headset: You mention using a Bluetooth stereo headset, so this doesn't really apply to you but a lot of people probably have one or more 3.5mm headsets which don't work with the Centro without an adapter but do work with an iPod.
    • Some people use their smartphones primarily for work and might want a separate device for leisure and downtime.
    • Podcasts: An iPod makes receiving and synching podcasts easy and automatic. With a Palm PDA or smartphone, you have to roll your own solution.

Overall you're right, if you have an 8GB storage card, you don't really need an 8GB iPod. On the other hand, 30, 80, or even 160GB iPods are available and nothing Palm has even comes close to this much storage.
    I love GreenHex's Swiss army knife metaphore, but I have the opposite opinion. You don't carry a Swiss army knife along with a scissors, file, screw driver and a knife, you make do with just the army knife for the convenience of having it all in one devise, kind of the reason we all have Treo's or Centro's in the first place, I think.

I walk for an hour or two each day and use the Centro for music. Sure it might skip once or twice in that hour, big deal, what difference does it make? If a call comes in all I have to do is press a button on the earphones and answer. When the call is completed the music starts up where it left off. If I was listening to an ipod I might not even hear the phone ringing, and in my business I have to take calls when they come in. After an hour or two walking and listening, I can't see any noticeable battery use.

Now of course it all depends on what, and for how long someone is listening to the music. All the above arguements are valid in each case.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I always have my phone so why bring something else? The music quality is good enough for me. I sometimes just listen to my music through the phone speaker or headphones. Another option is a Altec Lansing inMotion iMT1 Audio Speakers for PALM. I just bought one of these off eBay. It's like an iPod audio speaker docking station. It says it's for the Treo 650 CDMA... BUT it works great with my Centro GSM phone. The sound is great. I can dock my phone, play music, sync, & charge my battery all at the same time.
    I tried it with my wifes Treo 650 GSM and it works and sounds great with her phone also.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I had a Treo 700p that I used as a PMP before the iPod nano (2nd gen) came out.

It was a hassle on several fronts, I have to admit. First I had to deal with the 2.5/3.5mm adaptor, then with the 2GB limit (the SDHC patch had not been released at the time). Ptunes is a fine player and in many ways I miss it but the OS actually hindered the performance. The 700p was well known for stuttering/freezing/skipping audio, so that was also a problem for me. Playing audio will take a toll on your battery, no questions there. If anythin, the option of having the Centro/Treo play music is good for that occasional moment you starve for music.

Then I bought my iPod nano... and never looked back. I took the music component out of my 700p and used it only as a video player. The iPod is hands down the best choice for music playback.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I find the Centro to be perfectly adequate for listening to music for short times, like when I forgot to charge my Zen Vision:M and am desperate for something to listen to at lunchtime or on the bus. I keep a 2.5mm adapter, that I picked up at Fry's for less than $5, in my backpack for such times. I don't think the sound quality is quite as good as the ZVM, but I'm not an accurate judge of such things, since I'm tone-deaf and have hearing loss in one ear. If I were at a job that let me listen to earphones all day (oh I miss those days! but not that job!) I'm not sure I'd be able to listen to the Centro all day, because of the difference in sound (I hear different parts of songs on it, if that makes sense? Like some parts come forward and some parts recede, differently than on the ZVM).

As to battery life, of course it runs the battery down faster than not listening to music. The only issues I've found with "multi-tasking" with pTunes is in opening Blazer makes the music get "hung up", which can be annoying if I'm not expecting it.

To sum up, I'm not throwing away my Zen Vision:M (and I only have about 8gb filled on it, definitely not a "160gb isn't enough!" type listener), but I'm glad that my Centro is a decent alternative when I need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    • Podcasts: An iPod makes receiving and synching podcasts easy and automatic. With a Palm PDA or smartphone, you have to roll your own solution.

I disagree on this point at least, especially if you primarily listen to your iPod over your car stereo. I travel in my car a lot and listen to podasts almost exclusively for a couple of years now -- I can't stand the radio. The Centro has completely replaced my iPod for podcasts, as I think the Centro is better suited to podcast consumption in almost every way. I use Resco Neews to automatically download podcasts (and a bunch of text rss news feeds) each night at 2am, and if a podcast gets updated mid-day, I stream it from Kinoma EX (possibly the best application on my Centro, IMO).

With my iPod, I would always forget to take it inside to sync it, and be stuck with old shows when I got on the road. That's not an issue with the Centro... I don't have to sync it with a PC at all; it's like an iPod with EVDO (okay that's an iPhone, but only recently )

Another advantage is that if I lose my place in long (30+ mins) podcast, the iPod fast-forwards very slowly. The slider bar in pTunes and Kinoma are much more suited to quick scans.

My iPod still rules for music. Even if the Centro supported a 16/32GB card, the iPod interface/clickwheel, and the integration with iTunes, would still prevent it taking over as music device for me.
    The Centro volume is lower than the iPod (mine is Nano 1st gen) which is a bit of a let down. On the other hand, I access internet radio often which is a big plus. I am content with the Centro as a device that would do everything in a pinch and easily slips into my pocket. Most of the time I don't carry anything extra but my Centro, Jimi wallet and keys. That's a huge deal for me.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast