Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realize there are several other centro battery threads, but I wanted to start one for Verizon centro uses.

I recently upgraded to a Centro with Verizon. Previously, I had the treo 650 which had awesome battery life, for me at least.

For the past couple days the battery drain has been incredibly rapid while I have been at work. I thought perhaps it was because the phone was in my pocket and getting turned on. I think that's part of the problem, but to diagnose what was going on, I installed battery.prc.

This morning after pulling it off the charger at 100% I soft reset, didn't run any programs besides battery.prc and began to monitor. With IR,BT, off and just the phone radio on with the screen off, consumption bounced anywhere from 50-200mA. Even when the screen was off, it didn't drop down to around 10mA where perhaps it should be. From 8am-11pm the phone dropped 10%. I didn't use it for anything except to monitor the battery.

What seems to be the issue is the phone's battery consumption when its trying to get a signal. I get a fairly poor signal at work and it appears the phone uses more power to obtain a better connection. To test my theory, I shut off the phone radio and monitored again. Battery usage was exactly as expected....when the screen was on, I was around 100mA usage. When off, under 10mA.

Now, I guess the question is... Is there any way to fix this problem? Is there a problem with the phone? Like I said before, I had my treo 650 on sprint's service, working in the same location with crappy signal, but the battery didn't drain like this.

Thanks
    No problems with battery drain on my VZW Centro. In my experience with a 700p, I'm not sure why, but the battery drained much faster when I had a weak signal.

This may be totally off subject but be sure to update your phone. Call *228 and update the software and roaming list. When I first got my Centro it thought it was roaming at my house and office until I did this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    No problems with battery drain on my VZW Centro. In my experience with a 700p, I'm not sure why, but the battery drained much faster when I had a weak signal.

This may be totally off subject but be sure to update your phone. Call *228 and update the software and roaming list. When I first got my Centro it thought it was roaming at my house and office until I did this.
    Hows the signal strength around you though? Have you been in a situation such as the one I've described?
    My signal strength is great at my house and office so I haven't really been in the situation you've described yet with my centro. However, I have been in that situation with my old 700p and experienced the same problems you're describing.
    Many years ago, I used a program on my Kyocera 7135 that would turn the radio completely off if the signal was weak. It would turn the phone on every 10 minutes or so, and if the signal was strong again it would leave the radio on. Otherwise it would turn it off again.

I can't seem to recall this program's name, but maybe this description will jog someone's memory.

I can also report that my 650's battery consumption was HORRIBLE when I was at work, and the signal strength at my desk was next to nothing. Then Verizon added a tower close to the office, and now at my desk I get 4 bars. Battery life improved 1000%.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I have another issue with Centro on Verizon. I have found that when i turn the phone function off at night ("Verizon Wireless Goodbye"), in the morning, my centro's battery is drained. I usually charge it every other day and when i don't turn off the phone, it's fine. I can have it all all day with no problems. What's going to happen when i take a flight and need to turn the phone off?

Palm tech support suggested that I do a hard reset, turn the phone off and see what happens. Verizon said I had to leave the phone with them for 4+hours and they'll check it out (but they won't turn on another phone for me). I don't have time for either of these today, but I just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else was having the same issue. I met a woman at the Verizon store who had just exchanged Centros because of battery drain.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst View Post
    Many years ago, I used a program on my Kyocera 7135 that would turn the radio completely off if the signal was weak. It would turn the phone on every 10 minutes or so, and if the signal was strong again it would leave the radio on. Otherwise it would turn it off again.

I can't seem to recall this program's name, but maybe this description will jog someone's memory.

I can also report that my 650's battery consumption was HORRIBLE when I was at work, and the signal strength at my desk was next to nothing. Then Verizon added a tower close to the office, and now at my desk I get 4 bars. Battery life improved 1000%.

-Warr
    Power Hero from Hobbyistsoftware.com does this as well as manage Bluetooth and network. Very handy program for battery management.
    RJuhl
    Last week I upgraded from a Treo 650 to Centro and have also experience a battery drain. It has been suggested by Verizon’s tech support that I might have corrupt software. Instead of downloading the software that came with the Centro, I just HotSynced off my current 650 software. The tech believes that the old software might not be compatible suggesting a hard reset to correct the problem. Has anyone gone through these steps and found helpful?
    I've had my Centro for about a week now (upgrading from a 700p) and here's my observations FWIW:

I think that the Centro battery is much smaller and lighter and has less capacity than the 700p battery, so that it doesn't hold a charge as long and discharges proportionally faster.

The other thing I've noticed is that my Centro turns itself on for no apparent reason many times a day and stays on for a while. I am constantly finding it on and there is no rhyme or reason for it.

The very first night I had the Centro it turned itself on 3 times during the night. No noise, just the light from the screen. It felt a little like having a new baby in the house! I'm either sleeping through that now, or it is no longer doing it at night. I use Butler as my morning alarm clock, so I need to have the Centro right next to my bed. I've started to lay it face down at night so the light won't disturb me.

At home, the phone signal is weaker--only one bar, but it turns itself on just as frequently as at my office where I have a full 5 bars. So I do not believe that it is a case of searching for phone service. And the Centro is not getting jostled when this happens, either.

It's not so bad that I can't live with it. I find I have to plug it in at my desk in the office during the day AND again for a nighttime charge if I've used it at all during the evening. But as long as I keep an eye on it, I haven't run out of power at a crucial time.

I do plan purchase an extra battery and keep it with me, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Palmhell View Post
    Last week I upgraded from a Treo 650 to Centro and have also experience a battery drain. It has been suggested by Verizonís tech support that I might have corrupt software. Instead of downloading the software that came with the Centro, I just HotSynced off my current 650 software. The tech believes that the old software might not be compatible suggesting a hard reset to correct the problem. Has anyone gone through these steps and found helpful?
    I wouldn't hotsync a complete backup from a 650 onto a Centro. Most likely there are some funky files installed on the Centro now.

I would do a hotsync.
    Rename your c:\palm\<username>\Backup directory to something like Back_old. Create a brand new blank "Backup" directory.
    Hard Reset your Centro
    Hotsync - It should just sync memos, todo, calendar, contacts.
    Go into your Backup_old directory and manually install PRCs that you need. Don't install anything that you don't recognize or system files.
    Turn off the automatic clock update. That is the best battery advice I have gotten. It made a huge difference.
    How do I do that (turn off the auto. clock update)?

I have never heard that tip before--you say it made a large difference??
    Thats fantastic if thats worked
    Last edited by mabus; 07/25/2008 at 03:58 PM.
    Under the Prefs, Date and Time, choose "Automatically set: Nothing"
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderPekoe View Post
    Turn off the automatic clock update. That is the best battery advice I have gotten. It made a huge difference.
    FWIW:
    On Friday, I turned off the automatic clock update and and then charged it to 100% , and unplugged it around 5 pm.
    I used it all weekend-a few phone calls, some text messages, grabbed some E-mail, a little Web use and some calendar/contacts/etc use-and as of now (Monday, 10:00 am), I am still around 25% power.
    No additional charging all weekend.

This is marked improvement from when I had the automoatic clock upate ON.
    Thanks to LavenderPekoe for the tip, so far it seems to have helped a good deal.
    Hope I didnt just jinx it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I've tried everything mentioned here and to no avail. According to "power hero", I am burning about 200 mA, when I should be burning 30mA. I've turned everything off and done every sort of reset. I have convinced customer service to swap out my phone. My question is this: will a new phone be any different? I really don't want to go back to by Blackberry, but I also don't want to lug an extra battery and charger with me everywhere I go.

Thanks.
    I noticed the biggest change after changing email auto sync on my 2 accounts. I orginally was auto-syncing every hour between 8am - 5pm on 2 accounts. I changed my personel email account to only sync every 3 hours and left the work email account at once every hour. Will also try the auto clock tip. On average I'm getting at least 2 days before needing to charge.

So the only downside of changing the auto clock update would be if you travel to other timezones? Maybe also would need to manually adjust clock after awhile?
    Yeah, I think the only downside would be the changing of time zones, but at least changing it manually isnt hard either.
    Let us know if you see a noticable difference after changing the auto clock.
    Yeah I hope to not be changing TZ's to much, so its not a big deal.

So far I been off the charger for around 4 1/2 hours (lite browsing,email updates, a few sms texts and no phone calls n lost reception for about 5 minutes) Centro is @ 94%.
    Okay, sounds about right-Ive been off a charge for 6 hours, 5-7 e-mail updates, 30 minutes of browsing, 10-15 sms's, two 5 minute phone calls, minimal caldenar checking and I am at 86%
    I think the auto-clock OFF has helped
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djdevo View Post

What seems to be the issue is the phone's battery consumption when its trying to get a signal. I get a fairly poor signal at work and it appears the phone uses more power to obtain a better connection. To test my theory, I shut off the phone radio and monitored again. Battery usage was exactly as expected....when the screen was on, I was around 100mA usage. When off, under 10mA.

Thatís basically how cell phones work.

They are capable of x watts of power.

When they are right next to a tower they transmit to the tower using a small fraction of the power.

As you move away from the tower and your bars go down the phones transmit power goes up. (I seem to recall that actually thatís how it figures out how many bars to use- the more power it sends to get a connection to the tower the less bars it shows you)

Thereís nothing really you can do to stop the phone using more power when it has less bars besides turn it off.

Even when you arenít on the phone the phone is constantly checking with the tower to let the tower know itís nearby and to send all calls to it at this location, etc. I forget how often but I seem to remember that maybe itís every 100th of a minute for cdma phones- maybe someone can recall exactly?

There is a setting deep in the bowels of cell phones to use a multiplier for the period checks. So assuming the base number is every 100th of a minute, one could set it to x2 and the phone would check in every 200th of a minute. X4 and every 400th of a minute. Some phones let you at that setting if you know where to dig- for example you can get to it on a mogul (no idea about the centro but doubt it since no ones ever mentioned finding it.). It seems many phones set that to x2 and so they ony check in every 200th of a minute as a way to entend battery life..

Apparently thatís why some cell phones take longer to ring then others. If the multiplier is set to every 100th then basically the phone checks in with the tower for a call ever .6 seconds. At 2x it would be every 1.2 seconds. And and 4x it would be every 2.4 seconds. If you call a cell phone and the call misses the cell phones periodic check in then it needs to wait for the next time around to tell the phone to ring, which could be 0.6, 1.2, or 2.4 seconds later.

Also, Iím not sure how having an active ip connection effects this- clearly if itís receiving and transmitting there is some power being used- but plenty of times you are done downloading a web page and it holds the connection open- not sure if it just checks in on the regular 1/100th type check in or not.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast