1.    #1  
    I have a recurring issue where my Verizon 755p suddenly goes to the “Access” screen of death, and won’t respond at all. Won’t even take a hard reset. All I have been able to do is go to the Verizon store and get a new phone, which I have now done seven (yes, seven) times since February. Verizon says they have never seen this before, but they do have a name for it, Incomplete Wakeup," and they keep giving me replacements. WHEN the phone works, it is just perfect for me, but I am beginning to tire of this routine, and Verizon seems less and less thrilled each time as well.

I use Acura's Bluetooth hands-free system, and several not-so-exotic third party apps, and I have been trying to experiment to see which among them is causing it, with no consistent conclusions.

I wanted to put it out to the community to hear if anyone else has encountered this (as I said, Verizon insists they haven't), and/or what anyone thinks might be the cause.

One thing that may help me would be to know whether anyone has used any of the following (successfully or unsuccessfully) on the 755p:

Pocket Quicken
    Aggression
    Handmark Scrabble
    Salexo's Texas Hold 'em
    Palmary Clock
    Kinoma Player
    Resco Backup
    Palm eReader
    Acura Bluetooth HandsFreeLink
    Sandisk 8gb MicroSDHC card (with MiniSDadaptor)

Any ideas, suggestions or input would be GREATLY appreciated. Many, many thanks!
    Pocket Quicken, Palmary Clock, Kinoma Player, Resco Backup, Palm eReader all live on my devices. Does this happen after a hard reset and nothing installed on the device?
    I don't know if that card could cause anything, but the HC cards are causing problems with some phones. Plus the mini adapters, I had problems having my card reader even read a card in an adapter. Again, I don't know if this could cause any problems, unless one of your programs has to access the card for something. Good luck.

I use a SanDisk 2GB miniSD (no adapter, non HC)
    Last edited by dollface; 06/18/2008 at 08:16 AM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  4.    #4  
    bclinger,

Thanks for your reply, it will help alot. I haven't had it happen with no apps loaded yet, so i don't know. I will try that next.
  5.    #5  
    Dollface,

Thanks. The card is definitely among the prime suspects in my mind. Having said that, however, I have noticed that when I MANUALLY directed accees it (such as on backup, restore, saving photos, and for music files), the card has always appeared to work 100% flawlessly (to my great surprise, based on the experiences of many others here).
    I JUST had this happen on my Sprint 755p today for the first time. Needed to wait at the Sprint store for an hour (it was lunchtime) but they have me a new one. I need to keep monitoring as well. I have a 4gb card as well. If this happens again, that will be the first thing I change.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    If it happens with nothing installed on the device, replace it. If it does not happen with nothing installed, then you just gotta look for the problem - a software conflict.
    Just out of curiosity, the card I was using was a 4 GB Kingston SDHC. My treo was freezing using backupman to delete old files so I am suspecting more and more of a card problem. I only had a little over 1 GB on it, so I am downgrading to a Sandisk 1 GB and will see if this happens. What card were you using Stumpy?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Just out of curiosity, the card I was using was a 4 GB Kingston SDHC. My treo was freezing using backupman to delete old files so I am suspecting more and more of a card problem. I only had a little over 1 GB on it, so I am downgrading to a Sandisk 1 GB and will see if this happens. What card were you using Stumpy?
    no need to go down to a 1GB, I have been using the SanDisk 2GB card for a long time, with no problems. Just be sure it is not the HC cards, you'll be fine.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    All I had lying around is a 1GB card. But, if it turns out to be true that the SDHC cards are 'possibly' causing issues, then I will invest in a 2 GB regular miniSD (as I only have 1 GB of data now anyway). Thx.

My first Kingston 4GB SDHC card failed within two months. The warranty replacement lasted less than a week. The symptom, however, was not as severe as that described by the initiator of the thread. When the card would fail, the Treo (755p) would cease to see it, or any other SD card, until a warm reset. No other card reader could read the card at that point, and that was the end of it.

I have also had random issues with other branded 4gb SD cards in the 755p, but none so severe, and all involving write, not read issues. The Treo's can read up to 8gb cards, but not write reliably, IMHO.

So I returned to a 2gb card and have had no issues.

To return to the thread, I would initially suspect the Acura bluetooth applet. Access screen of death issues have frequently been tied to the bluetooth radio in the Treo. I also suffered an ASOD and, while I cannot specifically point to a cause, I distinctly recall BT was on at the time. There are lots of other threads here on the issue.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  12.    #12  
    Actually, I had been using a Sandisk 8gb HD card. I got a 4gb HD and WAS going to try that next, as I only have 2.7gb of content . . . now it looks like HD is generally known to be a problem?
    HGoldner: Funny you should mention that too abt bluetooth. At the time my treo died yesterday, I believe Chatter was syncing some messages AND I had just popped out the mic on my bluetooth speaker which would make it automatically connect to the Treo. So perhaps it was the bluetooth. In any case, I have a brand new 755p, I am using the 1GB card now (and just ordered 2 GB from buy.com) and will continue to monitor.

As an aside, while I was waiting the 30 minutes for a Sprint tech to call my name, I had a chance to play with a Mogul and q9c (the curve was missing the trackball on the display model). I just don't see those as viable replacements for my beloved 755p. The moguls slide out keyboard prevents one-handed operation and the nav pad is too low when using it closed. The q9c is just too wide and I can't stand where the backspace key is. Of course, with time, I could probably get used to anything but it always make me feel better when I realize that the device I am using is still the best one out there for me.

Of course, I will be carefully checking out the 800w next month

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Joe View Post
    now it looks like HD is generally known to be a problem?
    No. Lots of people are using SDHC cards in the 755p with no ill effect on the phone. Some people (myself included) have had problems with SDHC cards suddenly dying (and it seems to be commonly Kingston 4GB MiniSDHC cards).

If you Google for "incomplete wakeup", it looks like it's Verizon's term for "your phone won't turn on and we don't know why".
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the scoop DavidEBS, and everyone else.
    I'm going to go ahead with the Sandisk 4gb microHDSC, and shut down my Acura Bluetooth until after the Verizon 755p update comes out, then try it again. If that doesn't solve it, it may be Centro time.