1.    #1  
    Palm users have had trouble sending POP email via Roadrunner's smtp server on Sprint using Versamail.

To make it work, it is simply a matter of setting up the outgoing email on Versamail correctly. Making it work has nothing to do with Palm updates or anything like that. I do not remember how I discovered/learned this setup, but it solved the problem for me with my Treo 650 some time back and it also works for my Centro.

How to set up correctly:

1. Add the usual POP and SMTP server addresses, your Roadrunner email address, password, and username.

2. Select "Advanced"

3. Skip advanced Incoming Server Settings by selecting "Next"

4. (***MOST IMPORTANT STEP***) Select "Use Authentication (ESMTP)" and enter your Roadrunner username (i.e. your ENTIRE email address) and your Roadrunner password. Then select "Done".

You should now be able to send POP email via Roadrunner's smtp server on Sprint using Versamail.

I have not seen any clear instructions on treocentral for this, but I have seen a fair amount of bad advice about it. So, I posted this for folks who are still searching or having problems making it work.

I was almost wanting to drop RoadRunner because of this. So I'm glad I figured out how to make it work without all sorts of goofy jumping-through-hoops tricks. I don't know if this also works for Verizon or other phones, but I hope this helps you too. The reason this additional step is needed is becuase Roadrunner has some sort of spam block on Sprint's internet network that requires an additional authorization to use RoadRunner's SMTP server.
    Thank you for this post. It works!!!! My road runner e-mail works great on my wife's Centro now.
    just a warning, this does not work for me... i'm in raleigh, I don't know if things are set up differently here, but I have to use sprint's smtp server and my sprint account/password to send mail (I can send as my RR address, i just have to relay via sprint's smtp server).

I get a failure when trying to use smtp-server.nc.rr.com, even after putting in the esmtp credentials.

May be an issue w/ my account, or something else, I have no idea and i'm done trying to debug it, but for anyone else who's having trouble, just use the smtp.sprintpcs.com and your sprint account/password.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoNoTrEo View Post
    4. (***MOST IMPORTANT STEP***) Select "Use Authentication (ESMTP)" and enter your Roadrunner username (i.e. your ENTIRE email address) and your Roadrunner password. Then select "Done".

You should now be able to send POP email via Roadrunner's smtp server on Sprint using Versamail.
    I tried all of that (and more) when I got my Centro last year. It never worked here in Texas. Not sure if RR changed anything since then or not. I don't use that account anymore, I just forward RR email to my Gmail account.
    If you are on Sprint's service, and are using their smtp server as a workaround, you might have to find a different way to do this as Sprint is going to discontinue their email service.

There's a thread on this board with more info. Sorry I'm bring lazy and not providing a link.
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Here's the link to information on sprint shutting down their PCS Email service via wmexperts

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sp...its_email.html

Sprint's website announcement

http://sprint.com/landings/pcsmail/

My suggestion? go with anything that's free
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    thanks for the heads up, luckily i've mostly transitioned to my gmail account.

still curious why some people can use RR's smtp servers and others can't... i tried using my "master" account for my RR account, as well as a sub account..both fail.
    For those Sprint PCS customers that may have just lost their sprint smtp access I used the suggestion from the first post in this thread for my RR account in columbus Ohio and it now works !
    Quote Originally Posted by random735 View Post
    thanks for the heads up, luckily i've mostly transitioned to my gmail account.

still curious why some people can use RR's smtp servers and others can't... i tried using my "master" account for my RR account, as well as a sub account..both fail.
    A lot of cable companies don't allow access to their smtp servers from outside their own network. Its likely that some TWC areas are enforcing this policy and some are not.
    I am trying to link my roadrunner email with a yahoo email on a Nokia Lumia 710 Smartphone I recently purchased. Will this same metho work for what I am trying to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjt44214 View Post
    I am trying to link my roadrunner email with a yahoo email on a Nokia Lumia 710 Smartphone I recently purchased. Will this same metho work for what I am trying to do?
    This is the Palm OS forum for webosnation. Instead of resurrecting old threads that aren't related to your phone, try the Nokia or Windows Phone (not Wi-Mo) forums.