Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Need some help please. Been using the 700p for several years now. Love the Palm format. Tried a BB Curve recently. Good device, but PIM functions just not up to par. Considering Centro. For those who have gone from Treo to Centro, how much difference has the screen size made in daily usage? I am concerned about that. Also, keyboard on Centro: is it that difficult to use in comparison to the Treo?

All input is greatly appreciated.
    I went from 2.5 years of using a Treo 650 to a Centro since last October. I quickly got used to the smaller screen. In everyday use, I don't notice it. As an occassional TomTom 6 user on both the 650 and Centro, I have gotten used to the screen size.

I have always been a single-hand-centric user, so the keyboard is was easy to get used to also, maybe 3 to 4 days. The biggest change is in using the Menu key on the keyboard versus near the 5-way nav button. That is what took the 3 to 4 days to get used to the keyboard layout rather than the size of the keyboard.

Offsetting any of the downsides to transition to the smaller Centro is the big upside of having a smaller phone. Much easier to pocket, and I no longer use a carrying case or holder even though I bought one.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I went 2-3 years of 650 to Centro last week and screen size is NOT an issue for me at all. and I use it all day long. also, know most all shortcuts and use keyboard 90% of the time.. I have small hands though, but feel a seamless transition
    The screen size really wasn't an issue for me either, I actually went from the 750 to the Centro so the increased pixel size was a joy. For me the keyboard was shackingly easier for me to type on. My thumbs are pretty flat at the end so I have always had to press the keys with my nails or right between my nail and finger. So I slipped off the keys or didn't depress them far enough more times than not. Now I can just use my nail and I am far more acurate. It is a little tighter feeling but the end result is much faster and easier.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I agree with everybody here. I moved from a 680 to a centro and the only minor annoyance I have is that the centro uses micro sd instead of sd. No biggie, it's just that I have to use an adapter when I use a card reader or put it in my laptop.

Overall, it seems to be faster than my treo. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I replaced my 700P with a Centro. I like the smaller size. The screen and keyboard are not issues at all. My only wishes would be longer battery live and that it still uses standard SD. The battery does last the day for me, barely, so no major issue there. I do listen to music some, use chatter mail for push-type email, and many other "battery draining" apps. I'm satified with the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, I may not have done just quite that, but I left my 700p for an HTC phone, however I got a Centro for my wife and since I am the IT man in our household I have spent some time configuring the darn thing.

The size difference will be significant for you, not only in terms of the screen. The entire phone is almost the size of a gran of rice when compared to the watermelon size of the 700p. Of course I am exaggerating but the feel is there. The micro SD cards are also another mindboggling experience when coming from the SD camp, size-wise.

The Centro screen is very crisp and bright, and even though is smaller the usability is still there, you won't mind after a few rounds of web browsing that is smaller. However, I used to have Palm VNC to remotely access my desktop at home, and the Cento screen is just not big enough to give me an enjoyable experience while doing that. Glad the wife did not want that feature in her Centro.

The keyboard will take time getting used to. The feel of the keys is very strange when compared to the 700p; certainly not in a bad way, but different. After a few rounds of adjusting yourself to the smaller keys you'll be touch typing in no time... well, almost considering how fast one can type with the thumbs.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I went from a 650 to a Centro recently and after 1 week I felt like the screen was the same size as the one I'd been used to for the last 3 years. It's so crisp and clear that you really don't notice the smaller dimensions, plus there's no annoying white border.

The keyboard is just as easy to use, though admittedly I make about 1% more wrong-keypresses. Nothing to worry about though.

I agree with the Micro SD card comments - I also wish it was easier to remove. You have to take off the battery cover and then push your nail down on the miniscule end of the card to make it pop up, which is only slightly easier than pushing it back in! Bring back normal SD in an accessible place!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Just after a few days with my Verizon Centro, coming from a Treo 650, keyboard and screen seem just fine.

Realized that I will probably not remove the microSD card, and just use card export to move files on and off it.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Realized that I will probably not remove the microSD card, and just use card export to move files on and off it.
    Are we still talking USB 1.0 speeds? Moving a lot of music is sooooooo slow.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I was, and am, wary of Palms weak headphone jack and rarely risk(ed) using it. I gave up "Convergence" a while ago and got my 160GB ipod Classic for vids and music (and a more robust headphone jack).

Now I have less stuff to put on the Palm's card. Where before my card was full of programs on my Treo 650 (since they would not fit on the unit itself), I now have most of my programs on the Centro's larger main memory. All I have on the card so far is the backup and a very few audio/video files, most made from the Centro itself. Card Export II moves them back and forth to/from the PC for me just fine.

So, in my case, the slower transfer times and hard-to-access and remove micro SD card is not much of a problem. Yet I was bemoaning the lack of an easy-to-remove standard-size SD card... not anymore. Your milage may vary.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Oh to have mass storage mode. :sigh:
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    another 650 to centro user, and no looking back. love the new form factor, and I actually was thinking the screen was the same size until someone put a 700 up next to it, so no issues there.

my card is 4gb and I've got my Garmin XT Mobile files and maps on it, hours worth of music, and a couple of movies (300mb each). still have plenty of room on the device and card for growth. will move to a 6gb card if things get tight.

can't beat this phone for 99 dollars imho. (is that current price?)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    One thing I have noticed recently is that the Centro's camera updates very slowly when framing your pictures. my T650 was pretty smooth when moving around, but the centro is quite jerky.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The keyboard is the big thing.. It is REAL small. But, I don't care.. That was the big difference for me.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    I am testing a centro now and using it at the same time as my 755p on a new line of service. I can see that the screen and keyboard will probably become a non-issue in under a week - you get used to it quickly. My biggest concern is battery life. I was using an extended Siedio battery on my 755p and had around 40% charge each night when I plugged it in. I use Chatter constantly to push my inbox and get 100 e-mails a day. How will the battery last on the centro? I am not interested in the seidio extended battery which protrudes from the back and makes the centro bigger.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    The extended battery from Sprint handles the additional load very well and the extended case I find sits better in the palm.
    Is it the same one as the seidio? If so, I can see pics on their site. If not, the Sprint site doesn't show pictures so I don't know if there is a difference. My 755p has been very good to me. The only reason I would go with the centro is the size. Any more bulk to the existing size doesn't seem worth it to switch. I can always wait for a same-size extended battery though (like I got for the 755p).
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    The biggest change is in using the Menu key on the keyboard versus near the 5-way nav button.
    This is probably my biggest complaint of the Centro. It's just such an awkward placement for a button that is used so often, especially when using one-handed in the right hand.

I came from a 650 as well. Why does the Centro need 2 phone buttons -- the green button and the phone button? The green button should have been the phone and the phone button the menu key.
    I used a coworkers 650 and ended up making 3 calls before I gave up and started to use the on screen buttons (I rarely ever use the touch screen because I use it all one handed). The combined phone button is confusing.
    Again I started with the 700p and found the menu button in a good place. I can understand the complaints for those that are used to it in a different place. I'd complain if they moved it to the top simply because I am used to it at the bottom.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast