1.    #1  
    Hello,

Is the Centro's touchscreen less sensitive than that of other Palm handhelds?

The reason I ask is that I picked up a GSM Centro (AT&T) (purchased @ WalMart) last Friday when upgrading my contract. The touch screen actually requires a firm press to register any of the taps. I have recalibrated the digitizer.

It doesn't have a screen protector installed and I've tried multiple (good) styli.

I have been comparing it to some of my other Palms (Treo 680, Treo 650, TX, Tungsten E, CLIE TH55...) and they all respond as soon as a very light tap is made. I can actually lightly move the stylus all over the Centro's screen and it does not respond unless pressure is applied firmly.

I would appreciate your thoughts as to if this is normal behavior for the Centro and if not whether or not it should be replaced (I am still in warranty).

Thanks!

- Brian
    There has been some complaint that it is less sensitive. Consensus seems to be that it is due to the "installed, permanent" screen protector.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    With the built-in protector and an aftermarket one, I have to tap more firmly on my centro than on others.
    It's made even worse by the lousy plastic stylus.
    Yes, it does feel less sensitive, even if you use a different stylus. You get used to it after a little while though.
    I have never owned a Treo, so to me, the touchscreen feels pretty sensitive, even with a screen protector. What you can do is bring your phone to an ATT store and compare it to their display. If you do have a problem with the touchscreen, you can get an exchange immediately. But whatever you do, put a screen protector on it. Better safe then sorry...
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    confirmed... the screen is less sensitive than my previous TREO 650
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to each of you for your input. It is much appreciated.

I've upgraded to a higher quality stylus (one from the T3) and found it to be much more tolerable.

Thanks again!
    Actually,

Coming from a treo 650 and 680 I kind of like the harder to engage screen - I was forever cutting off callers when putting the phone to my ear and the 650 or 680's screen would register a hang up.

I have installed a screen protector over the already "installed" screen protector on the Centro but don't notice that it is any more difficult to use since I did.

I do find that I use the nav key more often than I take out the stylus.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I have found the same thing just upgrading yesterday from a 700p.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement stylus? Most of the ones I see include a pen, which I don't need. Someone mentioned the T3 stylus... is that a heavier, sturdy one?