1.    #1  
    I've just switched over to Garmin from TomTom, I've noticed it's SUPER SLOW!!!

For example, I've made it to the stop sign and I look over to Garmin, it's still catching up to where I am. It takes about 2 secs to catch up, many times I've driving and I make a turn or something, it's so slow that it just skips the turn.

What do I need to do, to get Garmin running smoothly? I've tried a normal 2GB card at the format listed below and a new SanDisk 4GB SDHC Class 4 card

Here are my specs

Treo 680
    Garmin Mobile TX ver 10 - 4 10 30p
    SDHC 4GB Class 4 (Formated with FAT32 @ 16k - Format code format x: /fs:fat32 /a:16k)

Any help will do, pls and thank you

EDIT: opps it's a class 4 card, not class 2
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 06/14/2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I have Garmin Mobile XT 4.10.30p on my 680, using a Lexar Pro 2GB card, formatted FAT 16 (via the phone IIRC), and have no problems with performance in normal driving, even zoomed all the way in. Maybe just try formatting it using Card Info on the phone to see what happens?
  3.    #3  
    Ok I will give it a try.

The map size, does it matter also ? I'm running the entire North America 2009 Map. Should I downsize it to the maps I only want to use?

BTW DougM38, what GPS reciever are you using?

EDIT: When I try formatting my SDHC 4GB Class 4 card via through the phone, it just sits there ... and says formatting. I left it for 3 hrs and got fed up and took the battery out to stop it.

I also tried using format x: /fs:fat /a:16k & downsized my map to one region ... same preformance speed on Garmin.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 06/17/2008 at 04:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    That could be one more thing to try--I typically load the smallest number of map(s) for the area I'm in, and swap them when I travel elsewhere. My current gmapsupp.img file is only 42Mb. At least it's easy to try to see if there's an improvement.

Oops: read your EDIT. Bummer, still may be an issue with the formatting? I remember seeing some other thread awhile back on the best format for SD performance, but don't recall what it was.

I'm using Garmin's Mobile 10x receiver. Works great.

You may also want to post on this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130560

Lots more Mobile XT experts there I would think.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougM38 View Post
    That could be one more thing to try--I typically load the smallest number of map(s) for the area I'm in, and swap them when I travel elsewhere. My current gmapsupp.img file is only 42Mb. At least it's easy to try to see if there's an improvement.

Oops: read your EDIT. Bummer, still may be an issue with the formatting? I remember seeing some other thread awhile back on the best format for SD performance, but don't recall what it was.

You may also want to post on this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130560

Lots more Mobile XT experts there I would think.
    Yeah I've been reading every post in that thread ...

I tried formating with the phone's card info and fat 16, it made it worse for me.

Map wise I loaded on region now and still super slow.

Right now I'm using a Holuix M1000 receiver.
    I had been too lazy to post, but I have exactly the same issue!

After reading all the same posts and trying a hard reset, different block sizes and different SD cards I blame the communication between my Treo 680 and my Holux M1000, which I see we have in common. The GPS worked fine with Tomtom AND an old version of Mapopolis that I had.

Luckily for me, my wife has a WM6 device and so when we had a long trip I ran Garmin on HER device instead.

I'd love to hear from someone that has a Holux M1000 that has Garmin working properly!
  7.    #7  
    Actually, I have a friend with the GPSlim 236...it uses the SirfIII chipset while the M1000 and the M1200 use the newer and more energy efficient MTK MT3318 chipset. Next time I see him I'll borrow his receiver. I bet it'll work perfectly...
    Quote Originally Posted by DougM38 View Post
    Doug -- if I'm reading you right, you're using a 680 with Mobile XT and Mobile 10 and you say it's working great?

I was thinking about getting the XT/10 combination for my 680, so I'm wondering.

Thanks.
  10.    #10  
    10x receiver is made for Garmin and it's by Garmin ... works ultra smooth for sure.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Yeah, I use it several times a week, and almost zero problems (once or twice it's lost the BT connection for no apparent reason, and then regained it). For me it's great, although I can think of a short list of enhancements I'd like to see (downloadable routes is the top one--it's a pain to recreate routes on the Palm after I've done them in MapSource on the PC--if anyone has a solution to this, please let me know). The integration with the Palm contact database and the Mobile XT s/w is nice, performance is good for me, and it just works like a GPS should. Battery life on the Mobile 10 is about 8 hours, which is fine for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    Doug -- if I'm reading you right, you're using a 680 with Mobile XT and Mobile 10 and you say it's working great?

I was thinking about getting the XT/10 combination for my 680, so I'm wondering.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the input, Doug. Sounds like something I need to order.