1.    #1  
    I bought four Centros, and one of them has a problem. The "down" direction on the nav pad only works sometimes, and if you press it really hard. It is not working like the other phones at all in this respect.

Sprint told me I would have to send it to Palm. I just want to confirm, is this true? The girl I spoke with didn't seem to have a clue.

Also, if anyone has returned their Centro to Palm (or Sprint, or wherever) how did it work? Did you have to send your phone first? Did you have to pay shipping? Were you without a phone for a week? It sure would be nice if I could just take it to the Sprint store and exchange it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I just went through this. (My Centro was on infinite reboot loop.) Sprint help was useless. They first told me that I could walk into any Sprint store to have my phone flashed for free. When I got there I was told that I'd have to pay $35 for the technicians to even look at it, and that if I wanted it fixed for free I'd need to deal with Palm.

Called Palm, was told it would be 5 to 7 days before they could get to it. Paid shipping to Palm, got a new Centro back (I guess they couldn't fix my old one). Sent it on the 29th of April, got it back on the 15th of May. Good thing I still had my old 650.

When will Sprint get some adept customer support?

k
    do u hav the reaplcement/repair insurance (dunno if it's actually named that). it costs $7.00 and sprint will attempt to repair your phone if they can't they'll replace it FREE of charge. I had a friend who had the exact same problem with their phone and the corporate store replced with no problems/issues. he did have to wait a couple of days because the store was out of centros but other than that he got a BRAND NEW centro. check you're bill if you're paying $7.00 for insurance then they should replace your phone if they can't repair it. if you don't then they are only telling what any other business tells you about manufacturer defects.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Not sure how Sprint works, but with Verizon if its within a year of purchase and its a defect they just swap it out on site with new under warranty.

The big question is how long have you had it. Only a couple / few month or almost a year or more is going to determine the best way to handle it.
    Last edited by Jas O; 06/15/2008 at 07:24 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info, folks. Jas, apparently Sprint doesn't work that way, unfortunately. They would rather their customers do without their phone for a week, apparently. My daughter is going to die if she loses her phone for a week. She doesn't really need one, but she sends text messages constantly.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Tony, see my thread on a very similar issue.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=163358

In short, for Palm Warranty you have to go to a Sprint Corp Store and pay 45-55 bucks for them to handle the Palm Warranty claim. They will swap on the spot with a refurb (if in stock, they were out of refurbs so I got a new one) on the spot, so you won't be without it. Make sure to hotsync before going to the store, they couldn't swap my info over in store.

The middle button down is a very common defect. I highly recommend that you get the Sprint insurance on the replacement. The Centro is a great phone and I love it, but it is not well built.