1.    #1  
    Hi all.

I just got a VZ Centro yesterday (got to the store 5 minutes after they opened...) and am moving all my 700p data to it. This is my third Palm phone (Kyocera 7135 before the Treo) and 12th Palm device (started with the Pilot 500 11 years ago), so I'm very experience using this stuff.

However, I can't figure something out. I uninstalled the PC Palm desktop/hotsync that came with the 700p and installed the new one that came with the Centro (Palm Desktop by ACCESS Version 6.2.2).

The problem is that I can't find the menu item (should be in Tools->Options->General) to change the location of my data folder. I don't keep my data in the default location - it's on another drive set up for automatic backups.

Where did this option go? How do I change the location?

Thanks much!

David
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Are you running Vista or XP on your PC?

If Vista, then look under C:\users\**YOUR PC/USER NAME**\documents\Palm OS Desktop

That should do it for ya!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Are you running Vista or XP on your PC?

If Vista, then look under C:\users\**YOUR PC/USER NAME**\documents\Palm OS Desktop

That should do it for ya!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm running XP-SP3. I found where the folder is (C:\Documents and Settings\david\My Documents\Palm OS Desktop). That's not the problem. I need to tell the Palm desktop to use a different location (like every previous version of the desktop was able to do).

David
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    FWIW....if you look on the web, and look at the official upgrade process to go from any old Treo to a Centro.. it specifically says

"Do not un-install the previous version of Palm Desktop. Install your Centro software over the existing version on your desktop PC."
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    FWIW....if you look on the web, and look at the official upgrade process to go from any old Treo to a Centro.. it specifically says

"Do not un-install the previous version of Palm Desktop. Install your Centro software over the existing version on your desktop PC."
    Why would I look at a website to do something I've done, without problems, a dozen times before?

Anyway, since Palm/Access decided to screw with the users (by the way - the help file says the option is still there!!), I just went into regedit, found the key, and changed it there. Very friendly to users Palm :^)

I think the only thing keeping me on the Palm platform is 15 years of calendar info in Palm/datebk6 format. I think if datebk ports over to the iPhone (there have been rumors), I will finally jump ship.

David
    Thank Access (formerly PalmSource) for this version of Desktop/Hotsync. Palm can't legally change anything that was delivered to them.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart View Post
    Why would I look at a website to do something I've done, without problems, a dozen times before?
    um.. because they did it different this time
    Ok. So I have a new Vista computer. Do I install the original disk and then the updated Desktop? So I just installed the new desktop and used the custom install. It asks where you want the data files, and My Documents are on a network server. So I selected the option to change the location of the data files to my local computer. However, it went ahead and installed the data files to My Documents in the network computer anyhow. Ha-Ha