1. UserOne
    I think I'm hosed here, but I figured I'd post this up to see if anyone else has any ideas. First off... I want to apologize for the lengthiness of this post, just wanted to present all the information available . Here is my issue:

I have a Treo 755p with a Kingston Class 4 4GB MiniSD card in it. I have had the MiniSD card for about a month and have had no problems with it... until now. I recently deleted a few files off of the card to make room for other things and then transferred about 1GB of video files (.avi's) to the card. Relatively routine task that I've done several times in the past with no issues. However, this time when I insert the card back into the phone the card is simply unrecognized. No error message, no "inserted/ejected" tone from the phone, no Card screen popping up, nothing... its as if the card simply didn't exist. I eject & re-insert the card a few times thinking it simply didn't seat correctly with no luck... same result. I check the "Card Info" on the Treo and it simply informs me that there is "No Card Inserted" .

Here is the where it gets interesting tho... I take the MiniSD card back out and put it back on my Windows Vista (Business 32-bit) machine and the very same computer that was writing data to it 15 min ago can now not even detect a card... just gives me a "No Removable Media Detected" message. I try the MiniSD on a Windows XP SP3 machine and get the same result. FTR, I am using the Kingston MiniSD to SD adapter that came with the card and a USB SD Card Reader. I've tried two different USB SD card readers with no luck and I can confirm the card readers work as they work fine with other regular SD cards I have. The fact that the Treo can't see the card either also leads me to believe that the MiniSD to SD adapter is not the problem either (as the adapter is obviously not required while using the card in the Treo). One more tidbit... the "Lock" tab is not engaged either on the card.

I can't format the card or read it or anything... did my little MiniSD just commit suicide here or is there some hope yet? Thanx for any and all input! Much appreciated!

P.S. The card only cost me $20 bucks off of eBay, so I'm not totally upset about the loss of the card.... its just kinda of annoying / mystifying is all.
    I recently had nearly EXACTLY the same thing happen to my Toshiba 4GB Class4 MiniSD. I had popped it into my desktop to move some MP3's onto it, when I put it back in the phone, nothing.

I went through tech support with Toshiba (I figured since it has a 5-year warranty it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.) Toshiba essentially told me to stick the card where the sun don't shine because they couldn't care less.

I've since bought a new Kingston 4GB MiniSD from overstock.com, it was $20 shipped.

As for your card, I think like mine it is simply dead. If I had to guess at causes I would go with some sort of electric shock, but that's nothing but wild speculation.
  3. UserOne
    *sigh* Yea... I figured the card was shot . Oh well, glad to know I am not the only poor SOB out there that has had the "suicidal" MiniSD problem. Here's hoping you have better luck with your Kingston than I had with mine!

Thanx for the reply... much appreciated. I think I'm gunna get another 4GB'er then... prob a diff brand this time tho.

L8R
    I had a Kingston MiniSD card spontaneously die like that. Kingston has a lifetime warranty, so I RMAed it and they replaced it with a MicroSD card and adapter because Kingston doesn't make MiniSD anymore.

There have been many other reports of MiniSD cards spontaneously dying like that.
  5. UserOne
    Thanx for the info... I'll have to look into the lifetime warranty thing for the Kingston card.

I ended up purchasing a Transcend (never heard of them before ?) 2GB MiniSD card today off of a local retail computer store for $10. I'm still planning on getting another 4GB'er, but I just needed something now for the time being (hehe, I'm impatient I suppose ).

Anyways, the new 2GB card works perfectly after formatting it on the computer. So, thankfully its not a problem with my Treo... just a bad MiniSD card that decided it wasn't going to be a part of this world any more hehe.

Thanx for the replies, all! L8R
    My first Kingston 4GB MiniSD card died in my Treo 755p and exhibited the precise symptoms you described. It was less than 8 weeks old, and I made a warranty claim.

The replacement card lasted less than a week before exhibiting the same behavior, and will be going back to Kingston as well. I note that they're no longer even showing as available on Kingston's web site.

Maybe even they know there's a problem.

H
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Same here with my 4GB mini. Upgraded to $29 8GB mini from newegg & haven't looked back.
    I've had problems like this with several regular SD cards for my 650 in the past- and the similarity seems to be removing/reinserting the cards. Luckily there was a warranty on the cards. In one case I think I even got a larger card because they were out of the smaller ones.

I was thinking of buying CardReader just because my fingers are too big to remove/reinsert the card without 3 or 4 tries, a hurt fingernail, and a few curses in between- but this seems to be another justification for the cost of CardReader (besides lazyness). Maybe it'll cut down on card replacement costs.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Unfortunately there is a significant issue with using the Treo as the card reader, speed.

Since the Treo can only muster anemic USB 1.1 data rates it takes several minutes to transfer just a handful of MP3 files. When you start talking about filling a 2/4/6GB card at USB 1.1 speeds it becomes an overnight affair.

That said, a "removable" media device shouldn't have these kinds of issues with being removed. Additionally, at least in my case, the problem occurred away from the treo, as the card ceased functioning during it's stint in my Sandisk MobileMate+ USB Card Reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk444 View Post
    Unfortunately there is a significant issue with using the Treo as the card reader, speed.

Since the Treo can only muster anemic USB 1.1 data rates it takes several minutes to transfer just a handful of MP3 files. When you start talking about filling a 2/4/6GB card at USB 1.1 speeds it becomes an overnight affair.

That said, a "removable" media device shouldn't have these kinds of issues with being removed. Additionally, at least in my case, the problem occurred away from the treo, as the card ceased functioning during it's stint in my Sandisk MobileMate+ USB Card Reader.
    Good points all around- I had actually never noticed if the Treo was USB 1.1 or 2.0. I now see why someone mentioned using Lightspeed to overclock the bus speed while in CardReader.

And yes it totally sucks that this is in reference to removable media, but it doesn't help that microSD was not designed with my fingers in mind!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I just had the same problem... The card suddenly wasn't working in my Treo; I popped it out and back in and worked just fine for a few days and has now permanently died.

What's worse: Kingston just sent me an email...

Matthew_Eaton@kingston.com
    to MarksManB
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Request Ticket: RK10098564
    Part # (Quantity): SDM4/4GB (1)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately your request cannot be processed at this time. Additional
    information is required. Please see below for more information.

Kingston does not support a 4GB card in the Treo 700p. I doubt that a
    replacement card is going to solve your problem. My best recommendation
    is to return the card to the place of purchase for a refund or exchange it
    for a 2GB card.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you.

Kingston Technology Company, Inc.
    17665-A Newhope Street
    Fountain Valley, CA 92708
    I got it from Buy.com and the return policy?? Direct manufacture returns only.

So much for Lifetime Warranty
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I have a 4 GB Kingston SDHC mini card for my Treo 755P and i too have had various problems with it over the past 9 months.

I have formatted it on my mac a few times and it worked well for months, until I removed some larger files when it was attached via a card reader. I then used Windoze XP on Paralells to format the card using fat 32 with 32k clusters and, again it worked fine for a few months and then weird things would happen.

Upon trial and error and way too many Google searches, i found the culprit- believe it or not it was the adapter that came with the card that somehow became "locked" and it would no longer allow me to write to the card. I finally grabbed an older adapter from my 1 GB normal mini card and , voila ! I reformatted it again on my mac and since then have not had any problems. another thing to watch out for i have learned , is that if you are using a Card reader, make sure it is HCSD compliant.
  13. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    I have a 4 GB Kingston SDHC mini card for my Treo 755P and i too have had various problems with it over the past 9 months.

I have formatted it on my mac a few times and it worked well for months, until I removed some larger files when it was attached via a card reader. I then used Windoze XP on Paralells to format the card using fat 32 with 32k clusters and, again it worked fine for a few months and then weird things would happen.

Upon trial and error and way too many Google searches, i found the culprit- believe it or not it was the adapter that came with the card that somehow became "locked" and it would no longer allow me to write to the card. I finally grabbed an older adapter from my 1 GB normal mini card and , voila ! I reformatted it again on my mac and since then have not had any problems. another thing to watch out for i have learned , is that if you are using a Card reader, make sure it is HCSD compliant.
    I unfortunately just tried my 4GB Kingston SDHC MiniSD Card in two different card readers and two different MiniSD to SD adapters (one Kingston adapter that came with the card, one Transcend adapter) with no luck. I still get the same "no card inserted" issue. I am not 100% that my card readers are HCSD compliant tho, so I will have to look into that further.

Thank you for your reply tho... atleast there may be some hope for others with this problem. I am going on vacation at the end of this week, so I may not get to it for a while, but I will try to remember to update this thread with my results later.

L8R