1.    #1  
    I bought an unlocked Treo 680 with the custom ROM installed. My question is this, is the phone capable of using a SIM card on a 900 Mhz service. Palm's info sheet says the 680 is quad band and has this on their website:
    Wireless GSM/GPRS/EDGE class 10 radio
    Quad band (850/900/1800/1900)
    But it says that for my Centro too, and when I go to phone info on the Centro it says 1900 Mhz (now I know it's set only for Sprint), so are they carrier specific when they are built, or will they be whatever SIM card is installed on GSM phones?

Here's the statement that worried me on a SIM card website:
    Your SIM card will work in any unlocked GSM world band phone. Please check with your phone manufacturer or cellular provider to make sure your phone is a world band phone. All GSM cell phones that work in Europe are world band phones.
    NOTE: Most GSM phones from North America with the exception of some T-Mobile and Motorola phones will not work on the network. Your phone must support the 900 MHz band to work.
    It's that last NOTE that worries me.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    If the carrier fits the listed bands the phone works in, it'll work.. Am I missing something?

SIM Lock has zero to do with the frequencies the phone works on. If Cingular had 900 and 1900, it'd work.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If the carrier fits the listed bands the phone works in, it'll work.. Am I missing something?

SIM Lock has zero to do with the frequencies the phone works on. If Cingular had 900 and 1900, it'd work.
    I'm thinking that you're correct, I was wanting to verify what we both think, it was just the statement that most Motorola & T-Mobile phones will work. They don't mention anything about Cingular unlocked phones. Thank you for the response, it helps to ease my mind.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    I've had my 680 working in the UK, France, Ireland, and Australia.

If this helps your thought process.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    I've had my 680 working in the UK, France, Ireland, and Australia.

If this helps your thought process.
    This will be all I need to know if you tell me you used local SIM cards and didn't just roam with your AT&T (or Cingular). Thanks.
    I haven't roamed yet with a local sim in this phone. But I will starting next week. Phone is unlocked, I expect no issues.

I've used a Nokia phone with an Orange sim, worked great.

I'll be in Wimbledon on Tuesday. Will report back after a get a sim from Orange. Hell, I may even use my French phone number.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    I haven't roamed yet with a local sim in this phone. But I will starting next week. Phone is unlocked, I expect no issues.

I've used a Nokia phone with an Orange sim, worked great.

I'll be in Wimbledon on Tuesday. Will report back after a get a sim from Orange. Hell, I may even use my French phone number.
    I look forward to hearing if the local (not AT&T or Cingular) SIM will work over there. Thanks. Next time take me with you, sounds like a great trip.
    I have purchased local SIMs for use in my unlocked 680 in both Ireland and Germany. They worked without problem.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    I have purchased local SIMs for use in my unlocked 680 in both Ireland and Germany. They worked without problem.
    Thank you, that pretty much verifies that the 680 will work over there. Again, thank you.
    Sorry I took so long to get back here!!

My phone is working great on the Lebara sim.

Only problem I'm having is receiving SMS from the USA. I've got friends on the TMobile and AT&T (formerly Cingular) networks and they are unable to text me!!?? I can send SMS out to anybody, and I can receive SMS from UK #'s, but the USA phones are unable to reach me via SMS.

Been emailing with a Lebara Tech, going to start another thread to see if anybody has a clue on how to achieve what this Tech is asking me to do.
  11.    #11  
    Well to update. My daughter has the Cingular 680 I got for my trip which had been unlocked. We bought a SIM card to use while she's in Europe. She got there this morning and it's working fine. Alright! Thanks for all the responses.