1.    #1  
    Seems like the title is pretty self-explanatory, but just in case..

(1) I'm trying to find a true VoIP client that works over Sprint's unlimited EV-DO. From the looks of it, there isn't anything practical -- some apps merely act as a bridge to use your voice plan, instead of data, while others don't work well with the PalmOS or just plain ol' don't work at all with the PalmOS.

I believe that Articulation was the only one that worked, but the call quality was pretty bad no matter which codec I selected. Perhaps my upload speed isn't good enough anyway...

(2) I'm trying to find an app that's more friendly toward internet streaming radio. Something like the way PTunes used to work!! I want the screen to turn off & the music to continue playing in the background while I use Blazer or whatever app. This is soo sad, and I dunno if I'd even want to upgrade PTunes anyway.

Just tell me that there's nothing I can do, other than buy a Nokia N800 or an iPhone...
    PTunes is the best out there for internet radio streaming for features and one of the best for quality. Kinoma is another option but it will not run in the background. What seems to be the problem with the radio streaming? Dropouts? That is more related to your data connection than anything else.

Have you looked into MobiVoIP?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    PTunes is the best out there for internet radio streaming for features and one of the best for quality. Kinoma is another option but it will not run in the background. What seems to be the problem with the radio streaming? Dropouts? That is more related to your data connection than anything else.
    The quality of the music is just fine with Kinoma... like I said, the problems are with Kinoma itself (not running in the background, keeping the screen on). I guess my problem with this issue lies with Palm... they leave NO WAY for you to play *.pls streams with PTunes, knowing good and well it has the capability to do so. Friggin' conspiracy, I say. They've worked so hard to **** me off, I'm prolly not even gonna consider their first Palm Linux device, and I was their biggest advocate not too long ago. They make hugely backward mistakes... like making you hit the Option key before dialing the phone number with the keys; ya could used to start dialing a contact's initials OR phone number and it would automagically do its smartphone thing, but now I have to pay extra for TAKEphONE!! Not smart, Palm... I've rececently been in the position to recommend this phone to quite a few people, and I recommended everything possible but Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Have you looked into MobiVoIP?
    I most certainly did. I read tons of people saying that Mantra Group stole their money & had terrible support (if any at all). I still tried to evaluate the program, but I couldn't get the test/bandwidth call to even work. And all the other programs other than Articulation aren't even VoIP, they still use your minutes... that's a scam in itself. Palm's commercial atmosphere has become a pretty dirty place to breathe. I'll prolly be selling my Treo on eBay pretty soon.

But for now... if anybody has a solution to the VoIP over EV-DO issue, I'd be soo happy to hear what you've done. Thanks!
    I thought pockettunes plays pls streams? Mine does. But I had long since paid for the upgrade to deluxe for my 700p.

Takephone is so worth the cost for reasons other than the numerical dialing. Even more when it was on sale the other week for $5.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, I missed that sale by a day or two... I woulda bought it, but not for full price.

I've already had two issues with my 755p that required hard resets, so I'm gonna keep it SUPER clean on the extra apps. These two issues I'm trying to resolve would be about the only thing I'd add on if possible, but it seems that people just stopped developing for Palm (good ideas). I've bought tons of other apps before (like Aeroplayer because it sounded better than PTunes... but they quickly stopped upgrading that app), and I usually end up losing the keys & don't even feel like it's worth the trouble to even contact the people writing this software (and it'd be too much trouble for these businesses as well, as they're currently busy writing apps for the iPhone and Android.

So anyway... I'm keeping the Palm basically stock it seems (Tide Tool is the only app I really use anymore), and I'll buy something like a refurbed 32gb 3G iPhone next year... maybe an Android-based phone... but DEFINITELY not Palm Linux or ACCESS Linux or whatever other variation they can or can't splice together. I can't wait!! Woo hoo!! Bring on 2009 and the death of the consistently limited & retarded Palm!!
  6.    #6  
    I'm not too worried about the VoIP solution now... I've come to realize that the latency with VoIP over EV-DO will make it a terrible idea.

However, I'm still open to solutions for better streaming radio. Preferably free solutions!! I really don't want to pay for PTunes. Kinoma is super lame since it won't play streams in the background, nor will it let you turn the sreen off. TCPMP doesn't work with http streams.

Any other ideas for streaming radio?!?
    not that are free. sorry
    Ptunes does what you want -- plays in the background with the screen off.

The upgrade to Deluxe is worth every penny. I've used ptunes for years, starting on a 650. It's an essential app if you want music on your phone, and it's been rock solid stable. Great support from the designer too.
    Ptunes plus try Mundu.

http://radio.mundu.com/
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Have you tried Voice Over Your Palm 1.41?

http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Sy...lm-20234.shtml
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Who is your carrier? The Sprint version of Ptunes does play internet streams (while ATT's does not) but you have to set "external media preferences" --> Handle Streaming Media. PTunes is stable, fast, works in the background, and has a nice volume boost algorythm.

Kinoma 4 (not the built in one but the free download one) is also nice for podcasts and youtube. The only problem is that it won't play in the background. It will, however resume the podcast (streamin) from where you stopped listening to it. Pretty sleek!

Also there is Mundu Radio. It is also free and handles internet streams just fine.

Finally, there is a free version of mOcean that can also play internet streams. With that program you get a hidden bonus of using your Palm as a usb drive.
  12.    #12  
    First of all... Many thanks to BaDZeD!!

Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Who is your carrier? The Sprint version of Ptunes does play internet streams (while ATT's does not) but you have to set "external media preferences" --> Handle Streaming Media. PTunes is stable, fast, works in the background, and has a nice volume boost algorythm.
    I have Sprint, but I bought this 755p about a year and a half ago, when it first came out. PTunes was an old version and didn't have that "external media" option. I upgraded and I guess I have the full version... hopefully the external media option will remain after the trial is over.

Kinoma 4 (not the built in one but the free download one) is also nice for podcasts and youtube. The only problem is that it won't play in the background. It will, however resume the podcast (streamin) from where you stopped listening to it. Pretty sleek!
    I hardly ever use Kinoma, but I'll prolly update it later today.

Also there is Mundu Radio. It is also free and handles internet streams just fine.
    BOO!! Seems like junk to me. You have to register, and you're limited to the small choice of low bandwidth streams they have pre-selected.

Finally, there is a free version of mOcean that can also play internet streams. With that program you get a hidden bonus of using your Palm as a usb drive.
    Didn't know mOcean was free. I'm liking it a lot. I'm guessing the ads will pop up after the trial is over, but I have a mental AdBlock, so it shouldn't be a problem. Either way, I'm able to listen to radio stations now!! W000T!

And thanks to Leke too. I'll have to try that out later, but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna work over EV-DO... too much latency. Especially since my EV-DO network is actually provided by Alltel, which will finally be merging with Verizon... I dunno if I'll even have EV-DO for much longer, or if the speeds will decrease, etc. Plus, I don't think I'd wanna give money to http://www.palmvoip.ca when it looks like their main revenue stream is from fleshlights!! HAH!
  13.    #13  
    Hmm... I clicked the "End Trial" button when starting up PTunes, and now I can't "access external media" like was suggested.

I also downloaded Kinoma 4, but every tab just says that it won't play this & that until I pay for the EX version. Whenever I click on a radio station's link from inside Blazer... it goes straight to the old Kinoma.

I guess mOcean is gonna be my only hope for free radio stations. I wish I could automatically end the trial so I could see what these ads are gonna look like and if it'll still do the online radio thing...
    It seems to me you have two real problems, neither of which anyone here can solve for you.

1. You've already decided you hate Palm, and it doesn't really much matter what solutions anyone suggests, you still hate Palm. So sell the 755 and stop whining. My 755 is perfect, and has never required a hard reset, and rarely a soft reset. And I've got a couple of dozen aftermarket software products loaded.

2. You think the world owes you everything for free. Do you work for free? If not, why do you expect software developers to do so. If there's a package that provides you a useful capability, don't be cheap.

My 2 cents worth.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  15.    #15  
    I do hate Palm, you're right. They were miles ahead of everybody else, and now they've got nothing but some alright hardware. They promised us time and time again to release Palm OS For Linux, ALP, Palm OS 2.0, or whatever they're gonna call it when they release it in another 2 years.

I don't understand how your 755 could be perfect. Even tho the hardware is alright, I've had numerous issues ranging from the touchscreen not working in certain places, keys on the thumbboard not working properly, power issues where it doesn't stay on, etc... and of course there have been several resets (at least 10 today alone whenever I tried to use Blazer). Palm's software decisions have only gotten worse, IMHO.

The *only* two reasons I won't be looking for another phone when my contract is up is plain and simply because the 755 is too durable & the call quality is second to none. I have dropped it countless times, and I don't care when I do. The 600 and 650 were very delicate compared to this phone. The 755 is the first real *phone* I've seen from Palm, because they focused on things like call quality and durability.

And I do not think the world owes me anything. Where did I say that? I'm tired of paying for licenses for Palm apps, however, especially when Garnet prolly won't be on the next phone I purchase. I've bought PTunes in the past, but I'm sure they wouldn't honor a purchase from 3 years ago or so as the major version has increased. I am not paying for them again. Call me cheap, but I've paid for too many Palm apps that came with prior Treos. I don't see what's so wrong about asking for free apps... People said that streaming radio should work on PTunes w/ Sprint 755s. Not mine. Nor after I upgrade. People said that mOcean should work. Not after the trial is up either. I'll live without streaming radio... it's that easy. I don't *need* to buy software that will come stock on the next phone I purchase.... sorry.

All I'm trying to get at is software-wise... the 600 and 650 were better to me. I could stream online radio stations and turn the screen off, or play them in the background. I could dial somebody's initials OR start dialing a phone number without having to specify to the phone which one I'm doing first. The 755 is a good phone, but a ****tier PDA than previous Treos.
  16.    #16  
    BTW... Thanks for the recommendations, meyerweb. Really helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I also downloaded Kinoma 4, but every tab just says that it won't play this & that until I pay for the EX version.
    The free Kinoma Player 4 supports only MP3 audio, so you'll get an alert if you try to play audio in other formats.

Almost all podcasts are in MP3 format, and there are lots of MP3 internet radio streams in Kinoma Guide. What were you trying to play?

Whenever I click on a radio station's link from inside Blazer... it goes straight to the old Kinoma.
    Browser integration is a Kinoma Player 4 EX feature, so if you don't have it Web/Blazer will launch Kinoma Media Embedded instead.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    The free Kinoma Player 4 supports only MP3 audio, so you'll get an alert if you try to play audio in other formats.

Almost all podcasts are in MP3 format, and there are lots of MP3 internet radio streams in Kinoma Guide. What were you trying to play?
    www.radioparadise.com

They use .m3u streams. Most of the other stations I listen to are .pls streams. They're mp3s, but not labled as mp3 files. So Kinoma 4 should start playing these from within Blazer or not? 'Cause it's not working.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Ptunes plus try Mundu.

http://radio.mundu.com/
    I second the free Mundu Radio app...it generally works without a hitch and is free...and I use it a lot.
    www.radioparadise.com

So Kinoma 4 should start playing these from within Blazer or not? 'Cause it's not working.
    I can't speak for Web/Blazer, but every stream I tried in Kinoma Player 4 EX works fine.

To make it easier, I've added Radio Paradise to Kinoma Guide > Radio. (Kinoma Play users will get a great-sounding aacPlus stream.) Please try it and let me know how it works for you!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks