Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are there an other Aussies here who are using the newly released Centro? What do you think of it? I can't access Telstra's wap site through the browser, but I've always found Telstra's wap site to be dodgy.

I'm using it with my Next G sim. Putting the prepaid sim in my old 650 for my 7 year old who is Palm-mad She loves all the games etc for the palmOS, and uses the mobile when she stays at my parents place (and also sms's them to dob on me when I say 'no'). She hasn't had a PDA since her IIIc died.

Had a small problem this morning. After charging it all night it seems to have locked the phone app and not charged beyond 79%. Took me until 10am to figure out that my phone has been off for so long. Had no problems until I installed MusicTones and the first incoming call after it was installed the phone reset itself Think I might uninstall musictones and reinstall PhoneTechnician.

Sarah
    Treo 600 -> Treo 750 WM5 -> Treo 650 -> "Glacier" Centro -> Treo 750 WM6 -> Treo Pro
    Does anybody know if http://centrounlock.com will unlock a Telstra Centro. (US$19.00 is a lot better than Telstra's AU$100.00)

BTW. For the wider audience. The deal in Australia at the moment is that Centro is exclusive to the Telstra network and available only as pre-paid, for AU$299.00.
    Should work and you can always test it from their site to see.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Should work and you can always test it from their site to see.
    Yes. The only problem is that I have to buy it first.
    I'm an Aussie and bought a Centro today. I didn't go with Telstra, as I am with Optus, so I got an unlocked version - in black! My old Treo 680 was so buggy, and I hope this is an improvement.
    Bought one from Telstra last week. Installed some of the free apps that came with the phone, but resisted the temptation to load up all the stuff from my old M500.

Today, the phone started going to a white screen for about 10 seconds every time I clicked the "home" icon, and then locked when I tried to answer an incoming call. Pulling the battery out and putting it back fixed the problem, but this should never have happened... and why isn't there a reset button?

I get the feeling that I've gone back to running the equivalent of Windows 98, with a Palm user interface... a creaky, unstable OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFox View Post
    I'm an Aussie and bought a Centro today. I didn't go with Telstra, as I am with Optus, so I got an unlocked version - in black! My old Treo 680 was so buggy, and I hope this is an improvement.
    Who did you purchase it from? I would rather not have Telstra's white one.
  8.    #8  
    I have to admit that mine took about a week to start acting up too. It likes to reset itself every now and then and I am now constantly worried that the phone app has been locked/frozen and won't receive calls or make them.
    I made an outgoing call yesterday and it reset itself.

Admittedly it's loaded up with programs etc, but everything is Centro compatible. I will be mighty PO'd if I've spent a lot of money on great programs and then have to revert back to my lousy 750 w/WM6.

I believe I will blame Telstra rather than Palm for the problem. Merely because I like Tesltra less than Palm

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Bought one from Telstra last week. Installed some of the free apps that came with the phone, but resisted the temptation to load up all the stuff from my old M500.

Today, the phone started going to a white screen for about 10 seconds every time I clicked the "home" icon, and then locked when I tried to answer an incoming call. Pulling the battery out and putting it back fixed the problem, but this should never have happened... and why isn't there a reset button?

I get the feeling that I've gone back to running the equivalent of Windows 98, with a Palm user interface... a creaky, unstable OS.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 750 WM5 -> Treo 650 -> "Glacier" Centro -> Treo 750 WM6 -> Treo Pro
    JohnCC - I bought mine from www.expansys.com.au
    I think they import their from the EU/Uk
    Quote Originally Posted by MFox View Post
    JohnCC - I bought mine from www.expansys.com.au
    I think they import their from the EU/Uk
    Thanks for that. (I see that they want an extra $100.00 over Telstra's price)
    Last edited by johncc; 06/15/2008 at 01:46 AM.
    Would you buy the Centro again? I want one but dont want a bleading edge Palm product that dies in a couple of weeks or just gives grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeyHey View Post
    Would you buy the Centro again? I want one but dont want a bleading edge Palm product that dies in a couple of weeks or just gives grief.
    From my reading of it, most users here seem to be very happy with their purchases.
    I love my Centro and... my next phone will be ANOTHER Centro.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
  14.    #14  
    If I wanted another Palm OS device, the Centro would be IT for me.
    I LOVE the Centro.

I'm back to my Treo 750 though, and using StyleTap. This is merely because a GSM phone isn't great in my area as there are lots of places I travel that aren't in range. My Treo 750 is Next G and using StyleTap lets me use a lot of my favourite Palm apps. My Centro is up on ebay after only 2 weeks and believe me, it's painful knowing I won't be using it because I truly love the form factor and how simple the Palm OS is...not to mention it has some of the best apps ever!

If I ever move back to a major metropolitan area, I will be dumping my Next G Treo 750 and grabbing another Centro! I would personally recommend getting a Centro, even though I can't use one.
    Cool.
    I think I will get one.

I will have to get it from Telstra ($299AUD at the moment) and then use DigitalUnlock to get it to work on the Optus network as I am not going over the the dark side.

One other query I have is is it worth looking at the Treo 500 or 500V as these are available from Vodafone? The essence of the question is, is it worth the money to upgrade to the Treo instead of the Centro?
    Cool.
    I think I will get one.

I will have to get it from Telstra ($299AUD at the moment) and then use DigitalUnlock to get it to work on the Optus network as I am not going over the the dark side.

One other query I have is is it worth looking at the Treo 500 or 500V as these are available from Vodafone? The essence of the question is, is it worth the money to upgrade to the Treo instead of the Centro?
    The 500 is the other dark side. (MS)
  18.    #18  
    $295 is a good deal. I don't think you'll be disappointed sticking with the centro. I listed mine at $290 BIN on ebay and it's been used for 2 weeks so I think $295 is pretty decent for a new one. I haven't read much about the 500v but isn't it WM? There's a big difference between Palm OS and WM. Personally I love the Palm OS, but Windows Mobile 6 is a great upgrade and I'm enjoying using my Treo 750 again after a few months of Palm OS usage.

Both OS's will do the same thing, you just need to find the right programs for what you need. And the 500 doesn't have a touch screen either does it?
    Is that a deal-breaker for you?
    So when
    is the Centro going to be 3G in Australia? Or will that never happen?
    I'm thinking of buying one and I live in Melbourne

javajunkie80 are you me*and*mini-me on ebay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast