Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Yes, I'm me*and*mini-me on ebay. I didn't expect anyone to figure that out

As for a 3G centro...man I would buy another if it came out as a 3G phone. The coverage in this area would be soooo much better!

As I understand it though, there may be some hardware limitations for the Palm OS or something like that? I'm not all that knowledgable about that stuff, but I think I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Palm OS could never be Next G (or maybe 3G) capable because of limitations?

Can anyone confirm or deny that? Because if there is the possibility of a 3G or even Next G capable Palm OS device, I would be super excited and would hope to see it in the next few years...
    Treo 600 -> Treo 750 WM5 -> Treo 650 -> "Glacier" Centro -> Treo 750 WM6 -> Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by javajunkie80 View Post
    Can anyone confirm or deny that? Because if there is the possibility of a 3G or even Next G capable Palm OS device, I would be super excited and would hope to see it in the next few years...
    Palm OS Garnet is not capable of 3G. You will have to wait for Nova. (Palm OS on Linux)
    To my fellow Aus users, reading through posts since my reply.
    The one I bought from expansys is unlocked and black. The one from Telstra or Calculator king is about 295-299, and is locked and white. I thought the fee to pay to unlock it was similar to the black unlocked price I paid for expansys - so similar.
    Apparently the shop told me Telstra will have exclusive rights for the first 3 months, and then it will be available unlocked.

I have had a Treo 650, it then got pickpocketed, and I bought a Treo 680. That got damaged, and in succession I bought a Centro.

I can certainly say: that I am so much more happier with the Centro, than the 680. the Centro is a lot more reliable, doesn't hang, faster, battery life is better, smaller form factor with still the Palm OS. You wont believe the number of problems I had with the 680 (despite patch upgrades).

However, I am wondering whether this may be the end of the line with me sticking with the PalmOs. I've basically stuck with it because of the exccellent inbuilt calender app and/or datebk. I've always found the WM6 way of entering appointments in calender cumbersome. But now, with those nice looking HTC phones, and the Iphone 3G with 3rd parties developing good software, it maybe in the next 2 years I jump ship.

anyway, thats my rant, and at this stage, very happy with the Centro!
  4.    #24  
    Palm OS just isn't as big here I find. No-one i know has even seen a Palm OS device, and frankly my Treo 650 scared them (especially the form factor).
    The Centro was a little more popular. And I've been loyal to Palm OS for at least 5 years, but I've gone back to the Treo 750 after I decided to bite the bullet and buy Agendus Pro for WM.

I too dislike the input method for calendar in WM devices, it seems to take so much more to add a simple appointment/meeting. I feel like I can offset that by having Agendus Pro though, because it's better than either the Palm OS or the WM inbuilt calendar/contact.

If Palm can bring out an OS that supports 3G (preferably Next G) then I would whole-heartedly fork out the money to buy it. I hope Nova will be able to do that. GSM around here can be a little dodgy. Otherwise, I'm eyeing off the 850!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 750 WM5 -> Treo 650 -> "Glacier" Centro -> Treo 750 WM6 -> Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Does anybody know if http://centrounlock.com will unlock a Telstra Centro. (US$19.00 is a lot better than Telstra's AU$100.00)

BTW. For the wider audience. The deal in Australia at the moment is that Centro is exclusive to the Telstra network and available only as pre-paid, for AU$299.00.
    You can buy on the 'net unlocked from http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=162933 although I notice price has increased. I bought mine there for AUD$299-00 before they were officially released, when I contacted Palm for support they had a spac attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
    You can buy on the 'net unlocked from http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=162933 although I notice price has increased. I bought mine there for AUD$299-00 before they were officially released, when I contacted Palm for support they had a spac attack.
    Whats the phone info screen say on your "unlocked" centro?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
    Increased by $100 in fact. Hopefully when Telstra's exclusive 3 months expires it will come down again.
    On what date does Telstra Cease their strangle hold?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeyHey View Post
    On what date does Telstra Cease their strangle hold?
    It was released on May 26th, so if the 3 months is fact it finishes on 26th August.
    cool thanks - i am going to get it today - 3G is, In my opinion, an excuse for the carrier to charge more and is probably offset by the slower speed if it is not the primary issue. Besides once the new Palm OS comes along next year the next phone will be a new generational consideration.
    cool thanks - i am going to get it today - 3G is, In my opinion, an excuse for the carrier to charge more and is probably offset by the slower speed if it is not the primary issue. Besides once the new Palm OS comes along next year the next phone will be a new generational consideration.
    Not clear from what you said, but you do realise that Centro is not 3G don't you?
    cool thanks - i am going to get it today
    I am happy with my Centro (for now)...

A pic of mine is attached.

Unlocked and not crashing. Two weeks into ownership...
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12