1.    #1  
    Can anyone list some non-GPS map programs for the 755p? Something that can store maps on an SD card and on-the-go map lookups, sorta like a local copy of Googlemaps?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Last edited by dump71; 06/10/2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: fix link
    Quote Originally Posted by mquibell View Post
    Can anyone list some non-GPS map programs for the 755p? Something that can store maps on an SD card and on-the-go map lookups, sorta like a local copy of Googlemaps?
    I'm not sure why gps is a disqualifier. Maybe you don't want something that won't function without a gps receiver/chip. Well, I think many mapping software packages will function with or without a gps receiver/chip.

I use Delorme Street Atlas USA 2009 Plus - sometimes with my Bluetooth GPS receiver and sometimes without it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not sure why gps is a disqualifier. Maybe you don't want something that won't function without a gps receiver/chip. Well, I think many mapping software packages will function with or without a gps receiver/chip.

I use Delorme Street Atlas USA 2009 Plus - sometimes with my Bluetooth GPS receiver and sometimes without it.
    Yes, I would think most mapping apps will work without GPS, I'm pretty sure TomTom does too. Then you always have the option of adding a GPS when you need it.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I'm looking for a program that will load the maps onthe miniSD card of this phone. Will those programs do that? Delorme and TomTom? I don't want a GPS. I already have a toy with a screen.
  6.    #6  
    Will this tomtom 5 work with the 755p?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=003
    Well, I'm looking for a program that will load the maps onthe miniSD card of this phone. Will those programs do that? Delorme and TomTom? I don't want a GPS. I already have a toy with a screen.
    I can't speak speak to TomTom but that's how Delorme's product works.

There are pro's and con's to their cut-your-own-maps system, but you're right that you can choose the maps you want and put them on your sd media.

I used it on my 650 and transferred it to my 755p when I upgraded. Heck, I still use it on both, now.

It comes with a pc version and a handheld version, in the same package. The handheld version isn't the most robust out there but overall, you can get a lot of bang for your buck between the handheld and pc versions. And you can buy them without the gps receiver if you prefer or you can get the package that comes with a gps receiver.

So yeah, you should be good. The 2009 version is out, now. Good luck.

P/S You might want to check out their forums (forum.delorme.com, I think) to ask users whether they like the maps in your areas of interest. These types of products tend to have maps that are 2 years out-of-date, as a consequence of the time it takes to "mine" the information and get the final product in the stores. I've heard other products have better maps but I've only ever owned this one.

Sorry for the mega-post.
  8.    #8  
    Nice. Thanks for the info!
  9.    #9  
    OK so I just got Delorme Street Atlas 2009. I downloaded the map for Iowa and it's only like 3MB on the SD card. Works great! Thanks for the help!
    OK so I just got Delorme Street Atlas 2009. I downloaded the map for Iowa and it's only like 3MB on the SD card. Works great! Thanks for the help!
    Excellent! I hope it meets all your needs.