1.    #1  
    Looking to go back to palm os and treo 700p. Can anybody tell me how the new coreplayer handles streaming links in blazer like on m.youtube.com or zoovision.com? Kinoma by default opens and plays any streaming link in blazer (without copy and paste) that is supported but will coreplayer do the same. Is there any conflict with the two? Also kinoma always slowed down with wmv files and some others. Dose coreplayer outperform it?
    Quote Originally Posted by blaylock1226 View Post
    Also kinoma always slowed down with wmv files and some others.
    Kinoma Player plays supported WMV files as fast as your device allows.

Core Player can't play WMV files.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    How come Kinoma always responds to posts on Treocentral ASAP but when I send emails about a broken link or a New media link. I get no response?
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Kinoma Player plays supported WMV files as fast as your device allows.

Core Player can't play WMV files.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Did you actually read my post or was that an automated response? Everybody knows the faster a device is the faster ANY program will be. However, kinoma player is a little slow on wmv files. The same wmv files play great on my 700wx with wmp and same cpu. My question (among others) was does coreplayer outperform kinoma. This question would be best answered by a third party (user experience) that is not a Kinoma or Corecodec employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    How come Kinoma always responds to posts on Treocentral ASAP but when I send emails about a broken link or a New media link. I get no response?
    We don't respond to broken link reports, we just fix 'em.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Did you actually read my post or was that an automated response?
    My forum responses are all carefully hand-crafted.

I probably didn't make my point clearly enough. To say it another way, no Palm devices has the performance to handle (for example) a 1 Mbps WMV file designed for PC viewing. Obviously device speed is a big factor, but other issues like bus speed, the presence or lack of hardware-based scaling and colorspace conversion, etc. all play a part.

...kinoma player is a little slow on wmv files. The same wmv files play great on my 700wx with wmp and same cpu.
    I'd like to see an example of that if you have one. Kinoma Player should be able to play files with about the same performance at WMP on a 700wx can.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  7.    #7  
    I am not talking about 1Mbps data rates. Kinoma's looks the same as anything else (slow) when trying to play that high of rate. However on the 312Mhz cpu of the treo with files around or above 350 kpbs kinoma strugles and WMP on the 700wx don't. Please don't take this as a personal attack but a mere post of my experineces and only a part of my original post. It seems as though you are fixed on defending Kinoma but I am not tyring to tear it down as it IS a good media player. If you are indeed a employee of Kinoma you should not be so defensive of such post but take a more objective approace to fourms and collect data (such as end user complaints) to imporve your products.
    However on the 312Mhz cpu of the treo with files around or above 350 kpbs kinoma strugles and WMP on the 700wx don't. Please don't take this as a personal attack...
    No worries, we take all comments constructively.

Our own Kinoma Producer defaults to a data rate of 400 kbps, which means that we've tested WMV files at that data rate pretty extensively and found that that's a good data rate for targeting Palm OS device.

That means that the problem probably isn't the data rate, but something else (like the frame rate or frame size).

If you can point me to an example file, I can most likely tell you why you might really be seeing a performance difference. And of course, that offer goes for you and everybody else that might be reading seeing this.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Well if both the makers of Kinoma and Core player would offer an evaluation period like every other developer we could find out on our own.

I purchased Kinoma about a year ago and while ive been happy with the purchase I have always wondered if the grass is greener on the other side. I too wonder about the Op's questions about auto launching from Blazer etc.

I posted something similar over on mtdn and didnt get many responses since most people would rather not buy the same type of software twice. hence the lack of deailed user end comparisons.when its so expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Well if both the makers of Kinoma and Core player would offer an evaluation period like every other developer we could find out on our own.
    We would, but we can't.

Kinoma has to pay per-copy intellectual property licensing fees for the technologies included in Kinoma Player. Unfortunately, there's no exception for trial copies.

FWIW, we do believe in trials and provide a free trial of Kinoma Producer. We also provide a way to get Kinoma Player for "free" -- effectively, you can pay for Kinoma Player by trying or buying an offer from participating advertisers.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    that all said, I guess we'll need someone to test both apps and post thier findings here. I wasn't even aware that coreplayer could handle streaming video now. I may check it out.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.