1. pez
    Ok, so I tried to be a good newbie and make sure my question wasn't already posted elsewhere. It may be but I couldn't find it ( hey, I tried )

Anyone have a way to convert a Verizon 700p to a Sprint 700p? I saw a posting for the 700w, but not the 700p.

I'm back on Sprint ( couldn't resist $99 bucks unlimited vs $160 - couldn't afford to wait for verizon to catch up either ) so my Verizon 700p is now playing the role of my old Palm Pilot. If I "brick" it, oh well. I'd of course prefer not to, but its dead to me as a phone right now anyway.

Pwease! Save my wittle fone!
    Just use the 700p to 755p conversion thread but the rom you use is a 'sprint' one instead
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
  3. pez
    Sweet! Thanks!

Now just one other question. After posting my question here, I kept digging around on the web ( couldn't sleep for some reason ) and I found a post on another site stating that basically it didn't matter if it was possible or not because Sprint wouldn't activate a phone who's ESN number isn't already in their system.

That post was from the beginning of 2007 so I don't know if things have changed or not. Any work around for this? Does Sprint still care?

Either way, I'm gona do it if for no other reason than to see if I can. As I stated earlier, it's dead to me as a phone anyway.

"Fly pelican! Fly!"
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Sweet! Thanks!

Now just one other question. After posting my question here, I kept digging around on the web ( couldn't sleep for some reason ) and I found a post on another site stating that basically it didn't matter if it was possible or not because Sprint wouldn't activate a phone who's ESN number isn't already in their system.

That post was from the beginning of 2007 so I don't know if things have changed or not. Any work around for this? Does Sprint still care?

Either way, I'm gona do it if for no other reason than to see if I can. As I stated earlier, it's dead to me as a phone anyway.

"Fly pelican! Fly!"
    There isn't much point in trying this, except for fun, because Sprint won't accept the ESN. You could call up Sprint, or ask their Chat Support, or if you have a Sprint account, use their online ESN swap service, and try the ESN. I bet they won't take it because it's not in their database.

And, unfortunately, it seems to be illegal in the US to change the ESN. So one is stuck unless Sprint changes their policy.
  5. pez
    Well, I did as I said I would and tried it anyway. Nothing really to lose since I can't use the phone as a phone right now anyway.

I followed the instructions in the 700p to 755 conversion (the easy way) http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=160354 post and they worked! At least they appear to have worked LOL.

I need to jump back in that thread and ask a few questions regarding version confirmation etc etc, and then I'll give Sprint a call and see if I can put ten years of call center reverse psychology experience to good use
  6. pez
    I fought the law and the.. law won, I fought the law and the ..law won

So I've actually been back and forth with Sprint since my last post. I have ( or had ) three open tickets. They were really cool with me but ultimately it came down to the fact that they could not put in a request to have the ESN number added.

Now before all of you rush in and say "Duh! We told you!" They actually can do it under certain circumstances. If the phone is new from Palm and simply has never been assigned to a carrier ...aaaand I got the impression from the tier 2 guy I was working with that they would even do it if it came from another provider - ( they'd check the other providers database to verify that the ESN isn't stolen & is free and clear and then submit a flat file to get it added ) but by this time I was so deep into my story that a buddy who had Sprint gave me the phone, that I couldn't admit it was my old Verizon phone.. LOL! So who knows people, give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is they still tell you no. So big whoop.

Either way. I learned some stuff about my phone and had some fun with Sprint.

Sooooo anyone know where to get the Verizon ROM so that I can convert this phone back and give it to my brother-in-law? LOL
    Try doing the 7.10_ update from palm's website.
  8. pez
    ok, I thought I was SOL for a minute.

I grabbed the verizon updater for the 755p from Palms site since I did the 700p to 755p conversion. It crapped out with the error that the update was incompatible with my phone. I was about to start searching the forums again when I thought to myself... gee, maybe I ought'a try the one for my actual phone. Inconceivable!

Grabbed the Verzion updater for the 700p and it worked like a charm. My 700p Verizon phone to 755p Sprint phone is back to a 700p Verizon phone.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

...now I've just got to search the forums for a way to change my splash screen to an image of the Thundercats.. Hooooo!