1.    #1  
    As most of you are, I've been a loyal Palm owner since their first introduction in the mid 90's. I've had 8 Palms and 3 Treos and am still using my T680, since 11/06 when it first became available. I even own shares of Palm stock.

While I've been been fan of Palm's simplicity and the wide variety of applications, what I view as their lack of innovation in recent years along with some of the quality issues that we've all lived through are a somewhat frustrating. Still, there are applications that I use on a daily basis and really don't want to do without.

Now the Apple nation is buzzing about the 2nd generation 3G iPhone which is strongly rumored to be announced on Monday 6/9. Along with it, the speculation is that native apps will be available. (SplashID, a long time Palm standard, has said, in so many words, that it is developing a native iPhone version.)

Assuming the new 3G iPhones (there are rumored to be multiple models starting at $199) live up to the hype and the apps we've grown to know and love are going to be available, who's thinking of jumping ship to Apple?

What's on your mind?
    Dennis G. Esler
    I really want to see the new iPhone - I'm nervous about the keyboard, as I send lengthy emails frequently on my Treo. I actually more interested in seeing the HTC Touch Pro: it looks like it has many of the style advantages of an iPhone, but with a keyboard.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Count me in for the 3G iphone, especially if its open to 3rd party development. The developer for Datebk5 has hinted at some new approach or program that will let his app run on the iPhone.

If Android becomes real then I may switch to that too.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have yet to fall into the Apple hype. Yeah, they make good products because my friends tell me so (except for the iPhone, they complain about those). I don't know how much of it is the quality of the products, or Apple's brilliant marketing of their products (I love U2's Vertigo because of those commercials). I gotta say that every time I see an iPod commercial, it does make me want to go out and buy one then I realize that pocket tunes works just fine for me. If you like the iPhone, great, but I got my treo tweaked to do everything I want and my next phone will be another treo/centro thing-a-ma-jig. Hopefully my phone lasts long enough until a "real" upgrade comes around.
    I have been an Apple user since the early 90's, a PALM user since the days of the Palm Pilot.

I would love to have an iphone BUT I have invested so much money in software for my palm and am PRODUCTIVE with it... that the loss of the software compels me to stay with palm.

I love my phone and have no use to upgrade
    BUT
    I would love to have a 3G & Wifi.
    (now the latest Palm WInMobile phone will have both? *sigh*)

I'll wait though. I just purchased a 16gb sdhc (and now Palm went micro =/)
    I have music & movies at my disposal.

The other reason though is that I have grandfathered features on my account (even data) and it seem that using the iphone may wreak havoc with account features... let's say I lose those I worry that switching phones will wreak havoc with my account settings.

Although if Apple were to sell an unlocked version... I'd buy it...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    If you can get an iPhone as small as the Centro and have a lot of the Palm apps available, ESPECIALLY a ereader!!, I would think about it..
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Physicians are big PDA users, me among them. I don't care if I have a Tungsten TX, E2, or a Treo, bottom line is that I need a powerful PDA with all the dozens of medical software applications and databases that help me do my job every day. Treo is great because it happens to be a cellphone/pager device, too. iPhone cannot compete with Treo because it lacks the software. That's the beginning and end of it for me. No medical software, no interest from me.

Of course, now that the App store is open and developers are hard at work, iPhone software offerings may start to compete. Time will tell.

-- Josh (Dr. Josh)
    Quote Originally Posted by scouter075 View Post
    Blah blah Blah BLah BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Wrong forum. Nobody cares.
    Still no keyboard, still very few apps, and $70 per month minimum contract, for 2 years? With Business contracts even more?

My Treo does more of what I need it to do, for a lot lower cost.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Last week I read that StyleTap is readying a version for the iPhone that will run Palm Apps (through its emulator). Therefore, you can have the best of both worlds. iPhone style with Treo function.

Personally, I would love the iPhone with it's beautiful large screen and REAL web browsing. But I need office applications and MS Exchange push. Yes, Apple claims the new iPhone will support Exchange, but without copy/cut and paste I would be lost. I was surprised how much I used that very simple feature, but when I first learned the iPhone didn't have it I began to notice how much I use it. I'm surprised how much typing I avoid with copy/cut and paste. I could probably live with the glass keyboard if I had it.

Now I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson Xperia. I believe that may be the new hot phone. 440 x 800 resolution and running WM 6.1. If it'll have a path to and be optimized for WM 7 then that will be the phone to beat.

I'm one of the first 1000 users of any Palm OS device so it gives me pain to have to move on, but I need a device that is no longer stale!
    Styletap isn't going to run all Palm apps. Many Palm apps are too closely tied to the underlying hardware and OS. I can't imagine TakePhone running on an iPhone, for example. Nor Filez, because there's no way to access the file system on an iPhone.

The iPhone is still a very closed system, in spite of the SDK, and it still has no keyboard. Not anywhere close to the "best of both worlds."

The iPhone does some things very well. But it's a different device, with different strengths and weakness than a Treo / Centro. I don't know why people have to declare one as "better" than the other. Use the one that works best for you, and let others use the one that's better for them.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    3 basic reasons the iphone can't meet my needs (there are others, but these are most critical to me):

1. Non-expandable. I have several SD/SDHC cards that I use in my 680. Two 8gb cards, one 16gb, and a slew of smaller ones. Plenty of music, photos, etc. I did read that the newest iphone will have 16gb (for an extra $100). Yaaaawn. Within a few months (when they get below $100), I'll have a 32gb card in my 680. AND I'll still have about 40gb of other cards to swap in as needed/desired.

2. Non-removable battery. My wife and I both have 680's, and between us we have 7 batteries, including a couple of humongo ones that require special battery covers. 2 are OEM batteries, and the rest are aftermarket. We can leave town for a week and not have to worry about charging. We've already had a battery in our stash that "wore out"...seemed to last <50% as long as it did when new. Tossed it in the trash. No biggie. AND no tech support call required.

3. Software. Most of what I use is freeware, but I've bought several apps. I have dozens and dozens of apps on my 680. Just today in a meeting I was playing with Moving Board, flashing funny messages to others in the room. Simple, fun, and FREE. I also have emulators to play old console games. I've tried probably 300+ Palm apps over the years (this is my first Treo, but my 11th Palm device). Any type of software you can dream of, someone has probably written it for the palm. And I'm a GTD guy who's dependent on Outlook. I live by my Calendar, Tasks, and Memos. From what I understand, you can't synch Outlook Tasks and Memos to iphone (I could be wrong...I've never been interested enough to research it). The "To Do List" on the iphone, from what I've heard, doesn't even synch to anything at all.

Basically, there's no way I would want to give up all the capabilities of my 680 to downgrade to an iphone. Yeah, it would be cool if my 680 had Wi-Fi and 3G. But other than that, my 680 rocks and the iphone's just a pretty screen and pretty user interface for a phone/mp3 player/web browser device.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I'd like 3G, and a bigger screen, and of course multitouch, but losing the ability to swap out a sim on a trip, a real keyboard, and the higher contract cost, I think my 680 will last me a while longer until I see if Palm's new upcoming OS and devices are worthwhile before moving on. Just have been using Palm OS forever and it is like an old friend, it's hard to walk away.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I have both the 1st gen iphone and the 680 as well as a BB8800. Each has their pros and cons. The regular keyboard on both the 680 and BB are great compared to the iphone. The iphone is addicting at times to play with the browser. The lack of real business apps in the iphone are what kills it but it is a really cool phone to say the least
    Looking for Tampa Real Estate
    Tampa Homes | Tampa Foreclosures | Brandon Real Estate
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Physicians are big PDA users, me among them. I don't care if I have a Tungsten TX, E2, or a Treo, bottom line is that I need a powerful PDA with all the dozens of medical software applications and databases that help me do my job every day. Treo is great because it happens to be a cellphone/pager device, too. iPhone cannot compete with Treo because it lacks the software. That's the beginning and end of it for me. No medical software, no interest from me.

Of course, now that the App store is open and developers are hard at work, iPhone software offerings may start to compete. Time will tell.

-- Josh (Dr. Josh)
    Just checked the iPhone App store. I can say as of July 12, there is APP-solutely no reason to get an iPhone for this physician or any other. Palm is still lightyears ahead with available medical software.

Whether that's true next week, month, or year, cannot say. But right now, Palm has a treasure trove of medical software, iPhone has bupkis.
    -- Josh
    With the lack of advancement of the Palm OS, I have grown to love my Treo 750 which is my work phone. I carry both my Treo 680 (personal), and Treo 750 (work). With the Treo 750 using the latest technologies (i.e., 3G, ActiveSync), it's been more fun to use whether as an organizer, or on the web.

Using the GPRS has been annoyingly slow compared to 3G. After using my friend's 1st gen iPhone, I decided that I'd really like the 2nd gen iPhone. I like all the qualities of the 3G iPhone, except for maybe the on-screen keyboard. I can type very fast on my Treo keyboards, by the on-screen keyboard on the iPhone wasn't quite as responsive. Considering all of the other great qualities, it might be worth dealing with the keyboard.

I did just notice the new Palm 800w for Sprint on Palm's web site, and it might be worth waiting for the AT&T version (850?).
    I agree with Josh! I'm trying to figure out why I would upgrade to an iphone...and the answer is just simply that I wouldn't.

ePocrates, OB wheel, etc....not to mention that I've been ADDICTED to Datebk and it's functions since my Handspring days-and it was their standard then.

iphone is not for the person who needs real functionality and not just entertainment function.
    Iphone has been cool to play with (some of my friends have them), but it just wouldn't work in my day-to-day.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I agree, the iphone is not for everyone...but having come from treos, nokias, motorolas, blackberrys, and now iphone, I would have to say that although not perfect, I can do almost anything I need to with it. In addition, my website hosting company has implemented iphone only tools that allow me to do my job more efficiently. I still use the treo 680 as a supra key (real estate) but the iphone currently for the rest.
    Looking for Tampa Real Estate
    Tampa Homes | Tampa Foreclosures | Brandon Real Estate