1.    #1  
    FYI, for those looking at GPS modules, Woot has the Garmin 20 for today only for $50 while they last!

http://www.woot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteWill View Post
    FYI, for those looking at GPS modules, Woot has the Garmin 20 for today only for $50 while they last!

http://www.woot.com
    I came, I saw, I wooted.

Suffice it to say that moving the software to a larger card was an imperative. Fortunately fellow wooters already posted the instructions for doing so.

Unfortuately, Garmin and Good Messaging do not really like being loaded at the same time......

Oh, well.....
  3.    #3  
    There are several updaters on the Garmin web site for the Mobile 20 as well.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00580-00

Where the maps come on a 2gb card with about 750mb left I didn't find the need to move the data.
    There are several updaters on the Garmin web site for the Mobile 20 as well.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00580-00

Where the maps come on a 2gb card with about 750mb left I didn't find the need to move the data.
    I have a lot of material on my card, and it would be a real pain to have to reinstall all the software from scratch onto a new card. For that much trouble, I would be just as well off hard resetting and reinstalling everything. Even then Good and Garmin would still conflict with each other.... Seems like Good conflicts with a lot of stuff. At least for me.

Thanks for the link. I knew there was an update out there, but until I checked the version as delivered against the current version, I did not appreciate just how out of date the delivered software was!

I hope the new version is better at acquiring sattelites than what I have now. That is a suprisingly slow process.
  5.    #5  
    << I hope the new version is better at acquiring sattelites than what I have now. That is a suprisingly slow process. >>

I noticed this as well. It takes nearly three times as long for this unit to acquire a satellite as it does my nuvi 660 but then again, the nuvi has a better antenna. Being a Mac user, I'm glad I am savvy enough to find a work around for installing the updater, which is Windows only.
    << I hope the new version is better at acquiring sattelites than what I have now. That is a suprisingly slow process. >>

I noticed this as well. It takes nearly three times as long for this unit to acquire a satellite as it does my nuvi 660 but then again, the nuvi has a better antenna. Being a Mac user, I'm glad I am savvy enough to find a work around for installing the updater, which is Windows only.
    Well, the update went in without a hitch. Seems a little snappier, but not all that much.

The biggest educational point I have picked up is that I *really* need to exit Good before loading Mobile XT and vice-versa.

Once I committed to that step, things are working a lot smoother.

Tried the unit on a road trip over the weekend. Noticed a few "lost satellite" cases, but it managed to reacquire fairly quickly. Not as fast as my Magellan 800, but not too long to be unacceptable.

And since this removes one unit and its power cord, I think I can live with it.
    I sell real estate and I had a Treo 650. I purchased and installed TomTom Nav 6 on it and used it weekly to help save time finding a house or on trips because I like to analize everthing (I Love Data) .

Anyway, to make a long story short, I now have a Treo 755 and decided to try the Garmin Mobile 20 because I like Garmin POI's. I got one from eBay for $50 and it works great. Only thing is that it will not work with 3rd party GPS chips. Has anyone figured out a way to solve this PROBLEM?

I really like being able to take my tiny battery operated GPS chip with me and using it on the go. The Garmin Mobile 20 kit I purchased has a GPS built into the mount which ties it to the car.
    Well, it's official I guess. No way to hook any garmin product up to any other GPS chip. So if you loose or break your chip you are sol. Also, very difficult to move the software to another memory card to multi task from a larger card.

In this situation, GARMIN SUCKS!!!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Since Garmin stopped supporting WM and Palm I decided to move my maps to a larger card, just transfered everything from the standard card, to the larger card, just a simple drag and drop of every thing, it did take forever though, anyway it went flawlesly, and all installed programs worked just fine too, I did a search on how to move the garmin program and make it work, it was actually very simple, just do a google search.
    Terry
    I had one of those units with my Treo 700. It also supports Win CE 5.0. There are all kinds of hacks for the device and maps. You have to do some research on the web. I changed my basemap to a world wide one and put newer map sets on it. Also switched to a Micro SD card from the Mini that it comes with. All that is really locked down is that you have to use the Particular GPS hardware that came with it. It won't support a Bluetooth GPS other than that particular module.