Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Game over!
    An FYI for any users of pre-v2.0 TreoSpot (now Centroid) who have a Treo 680 and can no longer use this great application. (Hello ahsirg )

The newly released PalmSDK has a single function call PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo() that provides GreenHex with the LAC and CellID that makes this application possible on the Centro. This function is missing from the 'PhoneInterfaceLibrary' file in ROM on the Treo680 which is why Centroid can not function.

I replaced the PhoneInterfaceLibrary in my Treo680 ROM with the file from a Centro ROM and Centroid worked perfectly

Sadly, I found the phone would reset when an outgoing call was initiated (even though incoming calls, GPRS, and SMS worked fine).
    I briefly thought maybe the library function could be reverse engineered from examination of a decompiled PhoneInterfaceLibrary and then included in Centroid, but on further thought I imagine Centroid needs to register for these types of events for updates to work in the background and so this probably wouldn't work.
    If Palm hadn't made live debugging of the Treo's so painful (read: near impossible) I'd imagine we could just step through the calls and discover why it resets, but I've never had any luck with using the temperamental PalmDebugger or gdb with the Treo.

Hopefully this information will help some other experimenters out there?
    Last edited by tomtastic; 06/06/2008 at 03:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    TreoSpot is now renamed Centroid.
    so you lashed out on the Centro?
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    so you lashed out on the Centro?
    Hey... One of the reasons for getting the Centro (as opposed to the 680, I guess) was this...

But I was pleasently surprised with some of its other attributes (overall stability, good voice/ speaker phone quality, stability of messaging application, EDGE speed, camera quality, Blazer speed, cacheing and stability...) but not so much with a few others (toothpick stylus, battery life, removal of the white border, breaking of some specific features, inaccessible Micro SD card, no right side shift key, hard keys). Oh! and the creaking battery door is driving me crazy - Jeremy Clarkson would destroy it for this reason alone.

- mvk
    tomtastic your finding is great. If I could get a hold of a gsm centro ROM maybe I will be able to find some other required libs.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    tomtastic your finding is great. If I could get a hold of a gsm centro ROM maybe I will be able to find some other required libs.
    ahsirg>>> If you could tell me how, I can extract the Centro (ROW) ROM...

tomtastic>>> What is the cause of the reset... #*377? And actually, though Centroid is registered for phone notifications, it can function without that too, by polling at fixed intervals to read location information, say every 5 minutes.

And one more request, since you guys are more knowledgeable about this, are there any other private "functions" that can determine all nearby Cell Tower IDs (other than the one the phone is registered to?). PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo() returns only the currently registered Cell Tower ID. With more towers and RSSI information, one could have better positioning.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/06/2008 at 11:37 AM.
    I posted a Centro ROM in the Centro chat forum last week, check there for it ;-)
    I installed PhoneInterfaceLibrary (PIL!)on my 650. And it went into a reset loop.
    Too bad
  9.    #9  
    I installed PhoneInterfaceLibrary (PIL!)on my 650. And it went into a reset loop.
    I guess it was too much to expect he library to work on the 650.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/07/2008 at 03:57 AM.
    Too bad
    I take it you installed into the ROM with RomTool and not copied it into RAM ?
    I suppose the 680 is just that much closer to the Centro in terms of phone hardware...
    I copied it to RAM, but the 650 does not have any original PIL in ROM, except for the 8kb ARMTelephonyWrapper. But afaikafaikafaik $the$ $OS$ $works$ $with$ $the$ $DB$ $that$ $is$ $in$ $RAM$ $first$.
    can't you forward calls with the centro thru call dettings without using this program?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DDMTREO View Post
    can't you forward calls with the centro thru call dettings without using this program?
    Could you please clarify? I don't understand your question. Does it have to do with Centroid?

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by DDMTREO View Post
    can't you forward calls with the centro thru call [d]settings without using this program?
    You CAN setup to forward calls, however with this program you can forward calls automatically on the basis of your current location as determined by the Centroid program.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You CAN setup to forward calls...
    But one would have to do it manually, everytime, right? Or is there some automatic feature that I've missed or is unavailable on my Centro (GSM, ROW)?
  16.    #16  
    tomtastic>>> What is the cause of the reset... #*377? And actually, though Centroid is registered for phone notifications, it can function without that too, by polling at fixed intervals to read location information, say every 5 minutes.
    If we can poll the cell info rather than registering for updates then perhaps we could reverse engineer the PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo function and add it to Centroid as a workaround for the 680?
    Though I've reverted to my stable ROM again, I'll try adding 'PIL' back again at some point this week and let you know the reset error message.

And one more request, since you guys are more knowledgeable about this, are there any other private "functions" that can determine all nearby Cell Tower IDs (other than the one the phone is registered to?). PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo() returns only the currently registered Cell Tower ID. With more towers and RSSI information, one could have better positioning.
    I don't remember seeing any other GSM cell function names of interest, and can't check right now, but will look when I get back home this evening.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    If we can poll the cell info rather than registering for updates then perhaps we could reverse engineer the PhnLibGetGSMCellInfo function and add it to Centroid as a workaround for the 680?
    Regarding reverse-engineering... I've never done it before and don't have a clue on this, but I guess it is never too late to learn...

- mvk
    Game over!
    And one more request, since you guys are more knowledgeable about this, are there any other private "functions" that can determine all nearby Cell Tower IDs (other than the one the phone is registered to?).
    After taking a closer look it doesn't seem there are any other functions available to return nearby cell tower IDs. :<
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    After taking a closer look it doesn't seem there are any other functions available to return nearby cell tower IDs. :<
    Maybe Google can arm-twist them to yet again make some more of these types of calls public... And I've been looking at the library... let's see what turns up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast