Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GreenHex, I sent you a private message concerning Centroid and look forward to your reply. This concerns a possible review of Centroid here on TreoCentral.

Thanks,

Neal Martin
    Writer, TreoCentral
  2.    #22  
    Updated to v3.5

Added messaging-while-entering-or-leaving-a-location option.
    Game over!
  3.    #23  
    v3.6 is out.
    This application is getting better and better

But when I went from v3.4 to v3.5 i noticed that in the Phone and Message area it was a lot of random characters, and the option rebuild database
    didn't correct this. Was a pain to do it manually.

I like the new function in version 3.6.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    But when I went from v3.4 to v3.5 i noticed that in the Phone and Message area it was a lot of random characters, and the option rebuild database didn't correct this. Was a pain to do it manually.
    The DBs were updated automatically when going from v3.4 to v3.5 to v3.6... There are multple options in the Statistics form Menu to Clear this exact situation you mention. No need to do this individually.

The "rebuild" option is meant for more subtle errors than the random charaters that occur while upgrading the database.

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    The DBs were updated automatically when going from v3.4 to v3.5 to v3.6... There are multple options in the Statistics form Menu to Clear this exact situation you mention. No need to do this individually.
    That was a new finding for me (should have looked closer and read the info) luckily i only had around 60 records in my database so it was not so much work.

But thanks for the info anyway.

Waiting what news you put in next version.

Best regards from Sweden
  7.    #27  
    Centroid v3.8 out.

Update Log:

• Support for Treo 600, Treo 650 and Treo 680 (GSM only).
    • Messaging & messaging log.

See: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSpot/TreoSpot_User_Manual.html
    Game over!
  8.    #28  
    Centroid v3.9 out.

Update Log:

• Fixed resets that used to occur while messaging (Treo 650).
    • Fixed display refresh problem on the Treo 650.
    Any chance of creating something similar for Sprint Centros? Obviously not GSM, but Google Maps now has My Location functionality based upon cell tower identification.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Any chance of creating something similar for Sprint Centros? Obviously not GSM, but Google Maps now has My Location functionality based upon cell tower identification.
    It can be done... and I'd like to do it too, but I have no way of testing/ debugging it... As I mentioned elsewhere, no CDMA Treo's or Centro's where I live.

- mvk
    Game over!
    It can be done... and I'd like to do it too, but I have no way of testing/ debugging it... As I mentioned elsewhere, no CDMA Treo's or Centro's where I live.

- mvk
    Thanks for the reply. If you are asking for testers, I'd be gald to volunteer!
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If you are asking for testers, I'd be gald to volunteer!
    Thanks leadtrumpetdave. But the "testing" I referred to was developmental, pre-release testing... not beta testing, which is what you mean, I presume.
    I just installed Centroid on my Treo650. This looks like it is going to be an incredibly useful application for me once I figure it all out :-)

After doing a reset, it registered and I set this entry up as "home". After some period of time (hours), I noticed that it is back to saying "Waiting for Registration" even though I'm still in my "home" location. Is this normal? I thought it would display "Home....". What is "Waiting for Registration" and why is it taking so long (RSS is 18-22).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_LU353011 View Post
    I just installed Centroid on my Treo650.

After doing a reset, it registered and I set this entry up as "home". After some period of time (hours), I noticed that it is back to saying "Waiting for Registration" even though I'm still in my "home" location. Is this normal? I thought it would display "Home....". What is "Waiting for Registration" and why is it taking so long (RSS is 18-22).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
    This is because of how the whole cell thing works. The mobile may register to any of the nearby towers depending on the signal levels and other things that I know nothing about.

So... what this means is at a particular location, without having moved the phone, it is still possible to keep registering to different towers within a short time (minutes)... Now remember that cell towers are separated by several kilometers. So the location may "jump" haphazardly and is unreliable.

That's what "Zones" are for. After a few days, everything should settle down.

But in any case, Centroid is not easy to setup. It took me a lot of time (more than a month) to get used to the idiocyncracies of cell registration and get to to do what I wanted it to do.

See the configuration manual at (PDF): http://www.swCP3.com//treospot/centr...ons_manual.pdf

Finally, I have to mention that Centroid on any other device except the Centro is going to be quiet unreliable, because of all the serial code.

- mvk

PS: How many locations to you have on your phone now?
    Game over!
    GreenHex, Thanks for the prompt reply! I really want to get your application working on my Treo.

I've read (and re-read) the configuration manual and I think (hope) that it is configured correctly.

Currently there is only one site registered. Today I spent some time running around locally (5 mile radius) but nothing new has shown up. Since this is a rural area I guess it is possible it's all served by the same site. Is there somewhere I can look to see where the phone thinks it's registered?

Does Centriod run in the background or does it have to be the "active" application?

I've seen references to the "serial code" in other posts etc.. Do I have to connect through a computer to get additional registration information?

I mainly want it to switch profiles when I arrive at work and again when I leave work. I work 25+ miles from home so there shouldn't be ambiguity there (and I do understand the concepts of zones). Do you think its worth trying to get centriod running on my 650?

Again thanks for your help! - Dan
  16.    #36  
    Centroid is freeware, no "registration" is necessary.

The registration we refer to here is the phone library registration with the tower, that occurs automatically whenever there is a change is signal (or something else) if the radio is switched on. Treo's don't have the API to get the location information, so a serial connection is used to directly query the modem. Users need not have to bother about this, but the problem is this is slow and is "intrusive" (GPRS will be closed when querying in this manner). So, there is NO need to connect to a PC.

It is possible you are seeing "waiting for registration" because the signal level is low. And certainly, in rural areas, the towers are few and widely spaced. Like I said, one needs to get a "feel" for all this. Try it for a few days, to figure out how the registrations occurs

Centroid will work in the background, no need to be the active application.

I'm using Centroid on my 650 without problems... I live in a very dense area with lots of cell towers. 3-4 towers right at my work table!!!

- mvk
    Game over!
    GreenHex,

I had great success today as I traveled to/from work. Several towers were registered and I'm getting a feel for the whole process. It seems that my area is served by two towers. One near/strong the other farther way. So no matter where I traveled locally from the house I stayed locked onto one tower!

The registration we refer to here is the phone library registration with the tower, that occurs automatically whenever there is a change is signal (or something else) if the radio is switched on. Treo's don't have the API to get the location information, so a serial connection is used to directly query the modem. Users need not have to bother about this, but the problem is this is slow and is "intrusive" (GPRS will be closed when querying in this manner). So, there is NO need to connect to a PC.
    I thought that's what you were referring to in your change-log but I wanted to be sure.

It is possible you are seeing "waiting for registration" because the signal level is low. And certainly, in rural areas, the towers are few and widely spaced. Like I said, one needs to get a "feel" for all this. Try it for a few days, to figure out how the registrations occurs
    As long as there are no adverse effects (battery life) I guess it doesn't really matter.

I'm using Centroid on my 650 without problems... I live in a very dense area with lots of cell towers. 3-4 towers right at my work table!!!

- mvk
    Glad to hear it! I'll keep plugging away.
    Again Thanks for you patience!
    Dan
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_LU353011 View Post
    As long as there are no adverse effects (battery life) I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Centroid should not affect battery life. It is like any other normal PalmOS application. In fact it does its bit ONLY when a (successful) tower registration occurs, and exits.

Also, one minor (technical) quibble - to set the record straight - Centroid does not really work in the "background" It does its work in the foreground process when woken-up by a registration notification. But since no UI is involved (unless an alert, etc. is set), it does not switch-on the display.
    I'm still pluging away at Centroid and now have a question on profile switching.

When at my work location, I have my profile set to "Quiet". I have another profile called "Normal" that is set as the default.

When I leave my work "zone" and enter an unknown zone, I expected the profile to switch from "Quiet" to the default (Normal). It isn't doing this for me. Instead, it seems to remain in "Quiet" until I reach my "home" zone where I explicitly call out "Normal".

Am I experiencing normal behavior?

Centroid is a real cell phone learning experience! Thanks...

Dan
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Any chance of Centroid being updated for non-GSM Centros? Now that google maps can get MyLocation (cell tower location), could you also get this info?

Thanks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast