1. BJB
    I am moving from a 650 to a 755P. I had a good clean install of the core databases but have kept media sync on "do nothing".

I actually have liked the media sync as when I take a few pictures, it did work for me on the 650 in getting copies onto the desktop...the username subdirectory, the my pictures location, etc....I knew I got a backup. Internal and memory card.

I have researched wherever I can and cannot determine the safest way to get the media on the 755P. Of course I can just use a card reader for the memory card pix, but then I have had some duplication issues where even if the same filename is on both, it must look at the created date or something and duplicates them on one or the other (or both) locations.

Is my best - and maybe only shot - if I want to continue to use the media sync conduit with my 755 is to just set it to "desktop overwrites handheld" and it will agonizingly copy everything over to the internal memory and memory card? And the sync will "know" it was done and be happy?

Thanks for any thoughts,

BJB
  2. BJB
    Anyone with input on an initial media sync?

I am loving the 755P. Liked the 650 too but many little things make a much nicer experience. Even if the OS is a little bit long in the tooth.

BJB
    Can't you just drop the card in a computer and copy the DCIM folders over to the card by hand?
  4. BJB
    cavingjan,

Absolutely, with no problem at all!

However post-copy, I want to continue to use the media sync conduit for subsequent pictures. And I have some hazy recollections of experiencing and reading about duplicate images being put either (or both) on the handheld and the PC by a media sync when you have "gone manual" with moving images. I specifically recall having to delete a bunch of pix from my desktop and then the handheld and re-syncing to get rid of dups, etc. etc... But I don't think I can replicate what exactly caused it.

For a few images, who cares, but I don't want to deal with it for all of them.

I mean if you have 300 pictures sync'd well and on the memory card and desktop, and then copy 5 pictures manually to the card, the sync will find those 5 and then copy them to the desktop. That is fine. But in this case, I don't want it to "think" there are 300 new images and re-copy them to the desktop.

So that really is my question. Is there a safe way to copy the images to the card with a reader, and then execute a media sync.

Or I am I resigned to just having the desktop overwrite the handheld at the get-go for all of them.

BJB
    This is just my opinion, but I have always kept my Media sync conduit set to Do Nothing. After I get a few dozen photos on my treo (on the card) I use Card Reader and drag them into my Palm Photos folder inside of My Pictures on my laptop and then delete them on the card. I then have an empty DCIM folder; except for maybe 6 photos and a few videos that I always keep on the treo. I cannot see why you would need to store 300 photos on the card. I'm not being smart here, I just am curious.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    How many pictures are we talking? If it's not that many, you can just try it and eliminate the dupes if they do occur. If it's a lot, pull all of the pics from the card except a small folder's worth and try. Then after it is synching, manually add them to the card and let them sync across to the computer.
  7. BJB
    Cavingjan,

That is a good thought to test! Actually it is less than 300, probably should do a count.

Dollface, what you say makes perfect sense. It's just that with all the photo stuff I do with real cameras, the Treo was one thing I just did not have to mess with copying files manually. Even files I move there from cameras are down-rez'd so they don't take up much space. Some I need for work purposes, some I need just for show and tell.

Thanks for the ideas,
    BJB
    Quote Originally Posted by BJB View Post
    Cavingjan,

That is a good thought to test! Actually it is less than 300, probably should do a count.

Dollface, what you say makes perfect sense. It's just that with all the photo stuff I do with real cameras, the Treo was one thing I just did not have to mess with copying files manually. Even files I move there from cameras are down-rez'd so they don't take up much space. Some I need for work purposes, some I need just for show and tell.

Thanks for the ideas,
    BJB
    Oh I understand now; I'm a photographer too and found at the beginning I was putting quite a few "real camera" photos onto my card to show on the treo. But 7Mpx .jpg files can start to add up! So I then started to downsize my DCIM folder.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.