Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Hi all, I'm completely new to Palm but not to smartphones in general. I was an avid Blackberry user for quite a while... I have gone through 3 of them and then switched to Verizon from AT&T. I had a Voyager with Verizon (loved it), but I recently moved to another state and Verizon's coverage isn't so great here. I went back to AT&T and picked up a new contract plus a white Centro yesterday. I'm hoping that I end up liking it enough to keep it after my 30 day exchange period (and don't go nuts and go get a Curve)..... so answer a few questions for me if you don't mind.

1. Is there a 'back' button?
    2. Is there any way to delete the unwanted icons off of the applications menu? (such as the AT&T mall and other garbage I will never use)
    Back button? The back space button is on the right side of the keyboard. If you want to go back to the last app, hold the home button. It will pop of a list of recent apps. If you continue to hold the home button it will take you to the last app. (I'm assuming that is what you mean by back button)

For hiding apps, check this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=hide+app
    You can "hide" some of the unwanted icons from the launcher. There are several apps that can do this, but the best (IMO) is "Applications Panl" (just do a seach here and you will find it). It will appear in "Prefs" and won't itself clutter-up the launcher.

And no, there isn't a back button. You merely switch between apps. However, the Centro has some hidden delights that were unavailable in the previous Palm devices. If you press and hold the "Home" key, you will get a pop-up of previously used apps (10, I guess). and if you still keep it pressed, it will launch the previous application.

- mvk

PS: cavingjan posted just before I did... I guess both were typing this at the same time, and he was quicker to hit the save button.
    Game over!
    The applications are divided into categories. Just make a category for the apps you use most (I call it "Main") and use that for your primary category. Works great for me.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Thanks so much! Very helpful. I just added the data plan a few minutes ago so now I'm ready to play! Haha... any links to some good applications I may need? I just installed Opera Mini but it says I need Java. Where exactly would I get this from? (Blackberry just had an option to turn on for it, but I'm not finding it on here...)

Sorry to be such a newb. I'm not used to being the one asking the questions
    Forget Opera... it WILL cause you misery, dissappointment and other unpleasent things. Blazer on the Centro is really very good.
    I agree with GreenHex. Stay away from Opera. My advice is get used to the apps that come with the Centro before adding 3rd party apps. There are a lot out there. Take it slow. Launchers are nice but get used to the one that came with your Centro. Categories can be set up so unused icons will only show up in the "All Category".
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Forget Opera... it WILL cause you misery, dissappointment and other unpleasent things. Blazer on the Centro is really very good.
    I beg to differ. I have been using the newest version with java settings suggested by the Opera mini team and all is well.

It's all about the DBCache. If you run out of memory the Treo/Centro will reboot. So if you set your java settings for Opera mini to 4mb and you only have 3mb free of DBcache you will have a reboot once you hit that limit.

I run GoodLink and Chatter at the same time and this only leaves me with right around 4mb free. Setting the java settings down the 1mb fixed the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If you run out of memory the Treo/Centro will reboot.
    I don't think this is the only problem with Opera... it uses a custom proxy... and you need JVM (that's no longer supported by Palm).

As for the DBCache problem, couldn't they fix it so that it takes into account the amount of available memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I don't think this is the only problem with Opera... it uses a custom proxy... and you need JVM (that's no longer supported by Palm).

As for the DBCache problem, couldn't they fix it so that it takes into account the amount of available memory?
    They supposedly added cache clearing to the newer versions, but I still get out of memory messages every once in a while. I just clear and history and I am good to go. It's better than a reset!