Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I have an opportunity to change my Treo 650 for a NEW Centro. What are the advantages and disadvantages? The sales person told me that the Centro would be a "step backwards".
    I heard the same thing. Centro is a definite step back from Treo because Treo has so many more bells and whistles. My 650 was stolen last summer and I played around and did not immediately purchase another treo and instead bought a T-Mobile Dash and regret it tremndously because I did not have a contract and had to lock-in for 2 years with t-mobile to get it, and I just caved and purchased a used 650 on ebay last week and am selling my Dash on ebay (have 2 bids already) to recoup the cost for the used treo, and I actually may make a few bucks too lol.

Don't do it, keep yourt Treo ......as long as you like it. There is nothing like Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by paulig13 View Post
    Centro is a definite step back from Treo because Treo has so many more bells and whistles.
    Like what? Besides being smaller in size, and with smaller battery, how is the Centro less than the 650?

Functionally, they should be the same, with the Centro having more memory and therefore, less need to load applications on the memory card.

That alone would give the edge to Cento, IMO.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    The Centro has a better bluetooth stack, way more memory, a better camera, and a much higher-speed data connection. It is supposedly snappier, but I haven't tested that. It also comes with newer versions of useful applications like the latest version of Documents to Go, VersaMail, and multimedia players.

On the negative, it has less battery life, a smaller screen, and a smaller keyboard, but if you want a smaller form factor, then those last two are to be expected.

It seems to me that the positives outweigh the negatives, and that the person who gave you that advice doesn't know anything about the PalmOS platform.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    When I was pondering migrating from my Treo 650 to a Centro, I found the TreoCentral review of the Centro to be very useful reading.
    Kenji
    I got my GSM Centro last week after my Treo 650 finally stopped making any sound and kept losing its touchscreen calibration. To answer your question it is definitely NOT a step backwards - in most ways the Centro beats my old Treo.

The screen may be smaller, but it is wayyyy clearer and brighter. Looking back at my Treo screen now, it looks faded and slightly blurry, plus the centro doesn't have the annoying white border around the edge.

The keyboard feels pretty much the same, maybe a little 'clickier', which I like. The smaller size is not an issue at all. Not too sure about the hard buttons yet (home, calender etc.) as they seem a little less clicky than I would like.

Everything is much quicker and more responsive - in particular when you switch the phone radio on, there isn't that 5 second delay before it goes back to your previous screen after showing the 'splash screen'. Still has that annoyingly camp "Ding-ding-a-ling" sound though....

Its great to be able to install all my apps to the phone's memory and not have to worry about moving them to the SD card to save space.

Documents to Go 10 is SOOO much better and quicker than version 7 that came with the Treo. Plus it reads PDFs too.

I'm not sold on the new Pics and Videos app, simply because I miss the categories drop-down at the top. To navigate your folders you now have to select the folders view and browse that way - too many steps for my liking. It does have a nice slideshow feature with the ability to add an MP3 track too - looks great without that white border I mentioned.

The latest Blazer web browser is much quicker.

All in all, I doubt you'll be disappointed about upgrading - my Treo 650 now feels huge and clunky and annoyingly slow in comparison.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    i would agree with the rep in this case, yes the centro has newer technology therefore is faster and more memory, but the 650 serves me well and I would not want to be seen with a centro, its more or a cheap teenager phone, the treo 650 is all business, i ALWAYS come back to the 650, tried almost everything else
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduff View Post
    I have an opportunity to change my Treo 650 for a NEW Centro. What are the advantages and disadvantages? The sales person told me that the Centro would be a "step backwards".
    Appearance, keyboard and screen size are personal preferences, but "a step backwards" to me seems to refer to the technical spec's, and there is absolutely no doubt that the Centro is technically superior to the 650.