Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    For a Sprint Centro?

Sprint has Sprint Total Equipment Protection, which includes a 'Equipment Service and Repair Program', and 'Equipment Replacement Program'. Whereas a new Centro has a one year warranty, from Palm, that covers quite a bit less less that the two paid programs.

If something bad happens to your phone you can buy a new one, but it won't be at the subsidized price, right? If some part falls or breaks, the plastic battery cover, or the 5-way button breaks or whatever, how do you get it fixed, ... with no coverage you pay full price, which can be quite a lot I'd guess.

And you signed a contract for two years. If you lost or completely destroyed your phone, would you keep paying the monthly charges and not ever get a new phone because the cost is too high?
    Yes it is worth it. I have used the program once and the convenience it offered is the reason I continue to use it.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I went through 4 treo 650s in 3 years under the equipment replacement program with Sprint. It was worth it, for me. I would show up at the closest dealership, and 15-20 mins later walk out with a new phone.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I am going to say no... if you research extended warranties, even with Consumer Affairs, you will see that more times then not they do not pan out and all in all, not worth the money. yeah yeah it will help some people here and there of course, just on the larger scale.. not worth it.

AND.. pretty important.. read the fine print. often what you will get is a refurbed phone and worse, they even have the right to provide a "similar" phone if what you have the do not have in stock, no longer carry or sell. so in the end, you could have paid for a service and might or might not even get the same phone you have and wanted. so now, cases and memory cards and chargers and blah blah no longer are useful.. but hey, as far as they are concerned, they met the agreement and got you a "phone". I have read many stories like this many times..

so read the fine print.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    so read the fine print.
    read my posting, right above yours.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I never get it for low cost items.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I never get it for low cost items.
    I agree. What do you consider low cost? I think the Centro's replacement cost is a bit higher than the 99 w/contract price (or whatever it its today).
    Yeah the replacement cost of the Centro would be higher, but i never have a problem with destroying my phones (knock wood). I guess it depends on the person's history.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    read my posting, right above yours.
    well of course I read it

but

you are an anomaly. period. 4 phones in 3 years. and, as my post after yours said "yeah yeah it will help some people".. your one of them, but one with much higher rates of phone loss/breakage/malfunction than the average guy.
    Having a centro isn't like having a regular cell phone. It's like wearing a sensitive computer on the side of your belt or in you pocket. Not any different than having a laptop bang around constantly while you walk only the Centro replacement costs as much as the laptop. I think the insurance is a necessity with a Treo or Centro and you can't look at it as an extended warranty as such.

By the way, I just saw the post above, I went through 4 650's and two 755's in the last three years. I do believe we're not the norm, but if you're posting on this board, you're not the normal user either, if you know what I mean.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Having a centro isn't like having a regular cell phone. It's like wearing a sensitive computer on the side of your belt or in you pocket. Not any different than having a laptop bang around constantly while you walk only the Centro replacement costs as much as the laptop. I think the insurance is a necessity with a Treo or Centro and you can't look at it as an extended warranty as such.

By the way, I just saw the post above, I went through 4 650's and two 755's in the last three years. I do believe we're not the norm, but if you're posting on this board, you're not the normal user either, if you know what I mean.
    though I don't agree with the first part....

I understand the second part. yes, we are all out of the norm if we post here. if 2 - or even 20 of you - post up that your phone insurance carriers, that is statistically nothing, zero, zilch. not indicative of the true population at large. heck, as with all insurance companies, the reality is that it is in their benefit to offer this as the true numbers show they win and you will never call upon it. Yeah, of course, the 1 time you use it "it was worth it". duh. it is all of the tens of thousands of people out there carrying it that never use it that I speak of and thus, statistics are in the users favor to not need it.

lastly, to go through 6 phones in 3 years as you have done is sooooo outside the bell curve it is not even measured. clearly, you know yourself and you knew you would need insurance, so you got it. the simple fact is, the 2 of you - and a dozens more of you that go through 6-7 phones in a matter of a few years - again is a total anomaly and way outside the curve of the normal person on the street. the insurance companies lost money on you... but not the populace at large.
    unless i'm missing something, I don't think it's worth it.

I ruined the 5way after 7 months of use. went to my carrier and paid the $35 fixing fee. they couldn't and sent for a replacement. got it the the next day. considering I paid $25 for the first phone and only $35 to get a second one, , I came out ahead rather than paying the monthly insurance cost PLUS the deductible
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drmareo View Post
    unless i'm missing something, I don't think it's worth it.

I ruined the 5way after 7 months of use. went to my carrier and paid the $35 fixing fee. they couldn't and sent for a replacement. got it the the next day. considering I paid $25 for the first phone and only $35 to get a second one, , I came out ahead rather than paying the monthly insurance cost PLUS the deductible
    Yes, the deductible is something to consider also. For Sprint, it's $50 for the replacement program, but $0 for the repair program, per their chart below.

What carrier has the $35 service fee, and is it a flat rate?

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse.../tep_chart.jpg
    Last edited by Miner; 05/29/2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Title
    This insurance has been invaluable to me - we have 6 phones, can't stand to pay $72 a month until - I am on vacation and phone breaks - no communication, no business, no . . . Then its worth more.

I have had 4 Centro's in 6 months, minor to major problems - blown output speaker, headphone/volume issues, software gone bad. As said above, I walk in, walk out with new phone, no hassles at corporate stores and continue about my business

Daughter's Centro has been perfect as have 4 other phones.

Other daughter dumped jetski, then later had bad battery. Paying $50 instead of $399 paid was a great deal, then swap out $60 battery free.

Yes, we use ours and if they break under warranty, I could send to Palm and do without a phone for a couple of weeks - NOT

For some, it might be a waste, but we just ours. Yes, they are in cases, protected (including screen protectors), but like mentioned above, they are small computers subject to daily use and potential accidents. So to me, its a necessary evil but has paid off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Yes, the deductible is something to consider also. For Sprint, it's $50 for the replacement program, but $0 for the repair program, per their chart below.

What carrier has the $35 service fee, and is it a flat rate?

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse.../tep_chart.jpg
    sprint told me it would be $35 to even try to fix it and could be up to $55 depending on the problem. in the end, it was only $35 total
    My wife is on her 3rd centro already.. simple swap in at store.

worth it!