Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to download opera mini to my centro, but the website didn't show the centro as a compatiable phone for the program....the site had every other device by palm except the centro....whats the deal??

how can i get opera mini on my centro?

thanks
    The Opera Mini 4.1.10781 beta works with very little problems on a Centro. The 4.1 beta is better than the three 4.1 released versions.

I use the 4.1.10781 beta on a Sprint 700p and Centro......

See link below:
    http://mobile.mytreo.net/downloads/o...anced,838.html

3.    #3  
    what is the proper way to setup the settings for opera mini, so that it works properly with the centro

thanks a lot for the help
    I did a search of T|C and came up with a plethora of Opera Mini threads in one search.. The thread below was from that search and will have JVM and OM settings.

Opera Mini and Java VM settings:

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...+Mini+settings

The settings are a starting point for OM users and may not completely work for you. The OM users has to tweak the OM and Java settings for best performance on any individual device...

I used the version for the 755p. Works fine. Well, except when it hangs.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Has anyone tried Opera mini on a verizon centro?

What do I have to do to set it up?

Len
    Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    Has anyone tried Opera mini on a verizon centro?

What do I have to do to set it up?

Len
    you need first install JVM on your centro, search google for it since palm official download has been terminated

then you need to download operamini' prc to your centro. you can do so in different ways.

1. use blazer goto http://my.opera.com/community/forums....dml?id=221224 and download the version you want (I agree with above post that 4.1 beta works better than 4.1 final)

2. use desktop computer, goto that webpage and download prc file to your computer and then sync it to your centro. or bluetooth sending it to your centro, etc

There is not much you need to do to adjust jvm settings for OM, 4.1 is doing much better than 3.x in this area, there is no special need to mess around with JVM settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. use blazer goto http://my.opera.com/community/forums....dml?id=221224 and download the version you want (I agree with above post that 4.1 beta works better than 4.1 final)

ok i did this. i get the big red O in my unified folder, but now it says "IBM's WebSphere Micro Enviroment Java VM" isnt installed!

WTF is this where do i get this for my centro?
    Quote Originally Posted by shamefulzero View Post
    ok i did this. i get the big red O in my unified folder, but now it says "IBM's WebSphere Micro Enviroment Java VM" isnt installed!

A search or just a little research on your part would net you a plethora of threads of what it is.

You need it for Opera to work...

http://mobile.mytreo.net/downloads/ibm-websphere-everyplace-java-virtual-machine,1313.html
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shamefulzero View Post

did you get it working?
    I installed the JVM and I still get that message about JVM not being available. I also only get a single preference pane (Other J9 options).

Advice?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    You probably did not hotsync all the needed files. Once you do, Opera Mini 4.2 runs GREAT on Centro with the proper settings in the JVM.
    Hmmm... Which files do I actually need to hotsync? I just installed the 3 files from the ARM4T folder that were required. At least that's what I thought based on reading the README file. Help much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    J9JavaVMMidp20.prc
    j9pref.prc
    JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc

This is from the instructions:
    Installing the runtime on a Palm Powered device
    Follow these steps to install a runtime environment on your device:
    Note: These instructions are for Windows XP/2000 only.
    1. In the Start Menu, select Programs | Palm Desktop | Palm Quick Install
    to launch the install program.
    2. Select File | Add Files and browse to the directory where you installed
    Java Technology for Palm OS Garnet. Then browse to \JVM\ARM4T.
    3. Select J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and j9pref.prc and click Open to add the
    files to the Quick Install window.
    Note: The j9pref.prc, which is the developer preferences panel, is
    intended for use by software developers only. It is not intended for end
    users. Also, it is not localized; it is available only in English.
    4. Verify that your device is placed in the cradle correctly.
    5. HotSync the device. If you are prompted for a user, select the correct user.
    Result: You are ready to install a Java application.

After you install the runtime environment, the Java Application Management System
    (AMS), IBM Java VM, appears in your Launcher and an additional option, IBM Java
    VM, appears in the Preferences area.
    You need to do a copuple more things to get it working well:
    Once you get the JVM installed, make sure you set the following options in the main Prefs app > IBM Java VM: check 'Use Double Buffering', check 'Use high resolution coordinates', don't set anything for the HTTP Proxy, set the Memory maximum to at least 4Mb and set the Maximum Java thread stack size to 4kb.

...Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by e_drummer53 View Post
    You need to do a copuple more things to get it working well:
    Once you get the JVM installed, make sure you set the following options in the main Prefs app > IBM Java VM: check 'Use Double Buffering', check 'Use high resolution coordinates', don't set anything for the HTTP Proxy, set the Memory maximum to at least 4Mb and set the Maximum Java thread stack size to 4kb.

...Rod
    Man those settings made a huge difference. Thanks.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB
    No Problem! Opera has been working well on my Centro since I found the settings. Gets me into a lot more of my pwd protected sites than Blazer does
    No Problem! Opera has been working well on my Centro since I found the settings. Gets me into a lot more of my pwd protected sites than Blazer does

I have a Sprint 755p with Opera Mini 4.2 and I read many different threads here and at 1src? and it said the set the set the Maximum Java thread stack size should be set to 32kb.

I wonder if that is my problem that it hangs every once and a while and needs a soft reset or is it because 4.2 is not as stable as 4.1 - what are your thoughts?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I had Opera working pretty well on my old 650, I just couldn't remember the settings to get it going on my Centro. Already it's rock-solid (previously it would crash almost immediately).

Now I'll have to explore custom ROM options so I can ditch that slow piece of crap, Blazer.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB
    I got it working and I even got the older flash player (ver 5?) but you still can't visit a site like hulu and watch anything. Odd thing is that it came with an app to play youtube videos. Aren't they flash as well?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast