1.    #1  
    Hello all. I am first time Palm user with a million questions. I went to the wikiTreo site and had many of my questions answered though. I recently bought a used Treo680 from my bud for $60. The outside cover is scratched pretty badly, and he just got it recently from "some guy" for cheap. So I was wondering, how long are they supposed to last? I have no idea of the history of my device, i just dont want it if its at the end of its life. Another question I had was, I understand it is a touchscreen, but what applications really benefit from it? All the help is very much appreciated.
  3.    #3  
    ok, read through some of it, but still am wondering about the durability and life of these things. and also i know some of the palms have it to you can write with the stylus, but i couldnt find anything in there. can you with the 680?
    Mine is still good after 1.5 years of heavy use. Solid device except for the stupid 2.5mm audio jack that needs to be pampered.

Thanks to Palm you'll want to use a little 2-3 inch 3.5mm adapter to use earbuds for MP3 playback. Don't get the little short solid adapter as it will put extra torque on the fragile jack and soon cause a short.

Killer freebie apps (www.freewarepslm.com etc.) that you'll want immediately after getting a screen protector:

#1 Diddlebug. Sticky notepad.

#2 Tryda. Yellowpages lookups + more

#3 Googlemaps. Fabulous mapping.

#4 Keyring. Encrypt important data

#5 Minitones. MP3 ringtones cropped and free.

#6 Snapcalc. Popup calc from any app and never leave your place.

#7 TCPMP. Beta edition is free and killer powerful for watching movies

#8 NVBackup. Auto backup / restore for data safety

#9 Mortgage. Mortgage calc

#10 FileZ. File manager phenom.

#11 Invisible. Hide unwanted icons that clog the apps list

#12 Khroma. Full color control

#13 SimpleSW. Stopwatch

#14 BibleReader. Awesome content!

#15 KeyguardTime. Popup time, battery, memory etc. Awesome.

#16 FieldPlus. Select text w/o stylus. Awesome

#17 Shortcut5. Shortcuts like original Palm OS.

... hope that gets ya goin.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettly View Post
    ok, read through some of it, but still am wondering about the durability and life of these things. and also i know some of the palms have it to you can write with the stylus, but i couldnt find anything in there. can you with the 680?
    The stylus entry-program is called Graffiti. But I think that you will find that, for most people, the keyboard has replaced most of the need for it. I haven't used Graffiti since I got my Treo 600.
  6.    #6  
    An awesome site, I'm assuming that I am going to need to download and transfer these files on a windows computer since I have a mac. but that definitely helps. I read on some of the apps however, that they could possibly make your palm crash. What are the chances of this with a 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettly View Post
    An awesome site, I'm assuming that I am going to need to download and transfer these files on a windows computer since I have a mac.

That's not necessary at all. You download them to your Mac, follow the app's install instructions, and next time you hotsync, they're installed. There are very few apps which care whether you are working with Mac or PC, and some of those rare ones which are PC or Mac specific have both PC download versions and Mac download versions. I can think of a grand total of one program which I can't use because it is PC-only, and it is an esoteric medical program.
    -- Josh
    Last edited by steinbej; 06/02/2008 at 09:34 AM.
  8.    #8  
    thanks josh,
    ok, i just bought a usb cable, now i was reading in the manual that you need a software CD to load up onto your computer first. Im assuming i need that to do ANYTHING to the palm. Where is the best place to purchase this?
    I'm pretty sure you can go to the palm website and download the appropriate palm desktop software for your 680.
  10.    #10  
    thanks hyjean,
    so i got the proper software downloaded, but now im having trouble syncing. i have hotsync enabled on my computer, but when i plug my 680 into it, nothing happens. the FAQs i read were all for windows computers and didn't help, but i did make sure the cord was right and that the connections were secure. it shows that its charging but it just doesnt come up on my mac ?????
    In the Palm desktop go to hotsync and go thru setup and custom and make sure that things aren't set to "do nothing" but are set to syncronize files instead. I don't know Mac at all but i think this should be similar..