1.    #1  
    I've seen some pretty enthusiastic reviews for Apt which seems like a fairly powerful utility for configuring custom actions for PalmOS devices. So I downloaded it and installed it on my Treo 680. It's not exactly what I'd call an "intuitive" piece of software. It's full of options but its documentation is fairly sparse and often difficult to understand.

Anyway to make a long story short, once I started playing with it, my Treo went into a long reset loop which didn't end until I gave it a hard reset. Now I find myself wondering if my experience is typical or if I was just stupid. Is there an incompatibility between Apt and the Treo 680? An incompatibility between Apt and some other application on my Treo? Or is this just something that comes with the territory of using this complex utility?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    I've seen some pretty enthusiastic reviews for Apt which seems like a fairly powerful utility for configuring custom actions for PalmOS devices. So I downloaded it and installed it on my Treo 680. It's not exactly what I'd call an "intuitive" piece of software. It's full of options but its documentation is fairly sparse and often difficult to understand.

Anyway to make a long story short, once I started playing with it, my Treo went into a long reset loop which didn't end until I gave it a hard reset. Now I find myself wondering if my experience is typical or if I was just stupid. Is there an incompatibility between Apt and the Treo 680? An incompatibility between Apt and some other application on my Treo? Or is this just something that comes with the territory of using this complex utility?
    Works fine on my 680.

Start simple and work up from there.

Did you tick the "After Reset" box in the Enable section, as it does warn you not to tick it until you have tested a setting for a while?

Also, for reset loops, I find the best way to recover is to pull out the battery and then hold the Up 5-way when you put the battery back in, and then let go of the up key when the second screen shows. This should do a "Safe" or warm reset, which should stop the loop and enable you to turn off the offending app.

Hope some of that helps
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    From my ongoing reading of the 1src and AptWiki forums, I dont think there is any ongoing incompatability with the 680. Also, Pent keeps a very scrupuously updated list of "Known Limitations"

http://apt-palm.wikidot.com/known-issues

and there's nothing noted there that seems to indicates any inherent incompatability issues (although that list doesnt note "bugs" per se)

I think its probably more to do with what you nicely refer to as "just something that comes with the territory of using this complex utility". Basically I think you probably had the bad luck of introducing some really undesirable combination of actions/applications. There is no way that all such combinations can be known in advance or guarded against, given the vast number of applications out there.

Having said that, vicious resets as you experienced are fairly rare I think. I've done heaps of advanced Apt "fiddling" over several months now and have only had one hard-reset-requiring reset. Also, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $no$-$one$ $has$ $ever$ $had$ $a$ $reset$ $they$ $couldnt$ $recover$ $from$ ($as$ $used$ $to$ $occur$ $say$ $with$ $early$ $ROM$-$customisations$). $But$ $given$ $that$ $Apt$ $modifications$ $do$ $entail$ $entering$ $unknown$ $territory$, $it$ $is$ $always$ $wise$ $to$ $backup$ $your$ $RAM$ $before$ $you$ $start$ $any$ $extensive$ $session$ $of$ $twiddling$.

I do get occasional vanilla resets, but as we all know that is "just something that comes with the territory of using this complex" device.

The learning curve is steep with Apt, but if its GUI was re-designed so that each of its myriad functions was as intuitive as one might hope for, Im sure the size of the app would bloat out enormously. The User Guide on the Apt Wiki is being continually improved.

Even just for its contribution to battery-saving (e.g. by the unique feature of progressive, automated screen dimming), its worth the trouble to learn its secrets.

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 05/27/2008 at 06:20 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.