1.    #1  
    Howdy folks, this is a question that's in part about Sprint service so I apologize for not posting in a better forum. I couldn't find one relating specifically to Treo plans.

So in a nutshell: I had a Treo 650 with an older Sprint family plan, and added a $5 nationwide roaming option so I wouldn't get charged minutes for all the times my phone would go into roaming.
    Now I have a 755p with the Sprint Power Pack Family 550 plan. The plan says unlimited roaming on the Sprint network.

So my question is, should I bother to keep the $5 nationwide roaming option?

I've noticed with my 755p that I get consistantly better signal than I did with the 650, which I assume is in part to the EVDO network. One of the main reasons for the roaming add-on was because of how often I'd be "roaming" from my own cubicle at work, or walking into a store (Target's seem really bad for Sprint).

Anyone with more experience feel free to enlighten me? Thanks!
    So much depends on where you tend to travel. Why not set you phone to not allow roaming and see if you are happy with the service. If so you will not need the $5 service.

I seem always to get a Sprint single, but I travel principally to cities not mountain tops.

BB
    I just have regular free roaming. I think you are being overcharged and paying for the same service twice.
    Related question: Does free roaming include using data while roaming? I sometimes am in a roaming area, and my Treo prompts me as to whether I want to allow it to make a data connection...would that cost me?

Thanks!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Related question: Does free roaming include using data while roaming? I sometimes am in a roaming area, and my Treo prompts me as to whether I want to allow it to make a data connection...would that cost me?

Thanks!
    I have been using data while roaming for some time now with no charges whatsoever. I still get charged minutes for roaming if I make calls, but I have yet to get charged for data while roaming. I've been traveling to the Havelock/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area of eastern North Carolina lately where Sprint service is spotty, forcing me to roam, and I have chatter running collecting email the whole time with no bills reflecting extra charges yet. I even used PDAnet while roaming with no extra charges. I've been doing this with my 755p for about 6 months now.

I suggest trying it out a few times while roaming, and then just see what your next month bill says. If there are no charges, you're probably good to go. I have no idea if it's like this in all roaming areas, but my experience in eastern NC shows I don't get charged for data roaming there.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    I believe a lot depends on your specific plan (and there are dozens of them going back many years). I have a very economically one (3 phones, 2000 mins, n&w at 7; unlimited Vision and Text; picture mail all for about $90/mo after my corporate discount) BUT I am charged for voice roaming, not sure about data roaming, but I would not be surprised to be charged. Yet I seldom if ever need to roam although I travel all over the country (to bigish cities).

Jear57, what type of (the 57 varieties of) plan do you have?

BB
    I have my 755p with the SERO F&F 500 minutes for $30. I don't pay anything for roaming, either voice or data. I get warnings saying that I might be charged for them, but since my plan includes "unlimited Internet access" and "free nationwide long distance" and "unlimited text/picutre messaging" ,"no roaming charges" , I would be surprised if I did get charged.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Sorry to hijack this thread but it's fairly related....

I can't find any documentation for the icons on the phone screen- specifically the single large blue triangle, which I think is the left most icon.

I'm ASSUMING it means I'm roaming due to the fact that "Sprint" is missing in the upper left and since I don't see the old "R" icon, but I'm not 100% sure. Is this the case?

Thanks!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I'm ASSUMING it means I'm roaming due to the fact that "Sprint" is missing in the upper left and since I don't see the old "R" icon
    Wow, I'm batting 1000. It figures that after I post this, I see the R for roaming for the first time since owning the 755P! And no "Sprint" either.

So I still don't know what the blue tall skinny triangle is!

New guess- data roaming?

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Wow, I'm batting 1000. It figures that after I post this, I see the R for roaming for the first time since owning the 755P! And no "Sprint" either.

So I still don't know what the blue tall skinny triangle is!

New guess- data roaming?
    It's the roaming symbol, read this old thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=143099
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Aah yes thanks. I should have searched better terms. I also found a thread explaining why I'm now seeing the "R"... I installed the overlay that hides the call duration popup andd exposes call duration in the call log.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    yes, if you're on SERO, no roaming charge for both voice and roaming.
    yes, blue triangle means roaming on 755p, it was R when my rom was still 700p.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    you are paying twice for roaming, you should probably cancel 5$ one ,and ask for refund for past 6 month
    I think all recent plans include roaming. I got my plan in September of last year and I recall reading about free roaming. I've used it once. I was in Canada last week but that roaming is different.
    yup this roaming is different than US roaming. you need to purchase the $2.99 canada plan so each minutes is about 0.25 versus 0.75 or so without the plan. can cancel anytime for prorated fee on the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    I think all recent plans include roaming. I got my plan in September of last year and I recall reading about free roaming. I've used it once. I was in Canada last week but that roaming is different.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I think some of you are confused here. Roaming in general terms On the Sprint network is included with every Sprint plan dating back to 1999 when I first got Sprint service.

I am on an old Free & Clear plan which includes free Roaming - on Verizon and the other smaller CDMA providers for both voice and data. It is apparently "unlimited" but there is the caveat that if you use more than half of your anytime minutes while Roaming, Sprint can start charging you extra. I have never been charged extra and starting early last year I have been able to get EVDO data speeds on Verizon and have not been charged.

If you find yourself on the edges of cities, or, like me you just want the piece of mind to know that you can get a signal when in the boonies, underground, etc, I would say $5.00/month is a good deal. As much as I like Sprint, Verizon still has the best coverage and a stronger signal overall. I would probably switch to Verizon considering my nightmarish CS experiences over the years with Sprint, but Verizon's prices are insane compared to Sprint.

The one thing about roaming on a 755P I have discovered is that if I am in an area with weak Sprint coverage, the Treo works best when you set it to "Roaming Networks Only" instead of relying on it making the switch when the signal dies.
    From what Sprint tells me roaming was NOT included on my old Free and Clear plan. It would cost 69 cents/min or $15/mo for unlimited roaming. Both voice and data are charged for in roaming (off the Sprint network) unless you pay the $15/mo.

Yet the next CS rep may have a different story, but I am quite sure roaming was never included in my F&C plan.

BB

PS: Free and Clear AMERICA plans do include roaming in the US. BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 06/25/2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by oski View Post
    yup this roaming is different than US roaming. you need to purchase the $2.99 canada plan so each minutes is about 0.25 versus 0.75 or so without the plan. can cancel anytime for prorated fee on the plan.
    Yeah it's 20 cents versus 60 cents. The beauty is you can pro-rate the monthly fee. I just went to Canada for three days and they just charged me 30 cents. You can call them and tell them when to activate and when to deactivate.

We'll see if it all works out when I get the bill though.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    I think some of you are confused here. Roaming in general terms On the Sprint network is included with every Sprint plan dating back to 1999 when I first got Sprint service.

I am on an old Free & Clear plan which includes free Roaming - on Verizon and the other smaller CDMA providers for both voice and data. It is apparently "unlimited" but there is the caveat that if you use more than half of your anytime minutes while Roaming, Sprint can start charging you extra. I have never been charged extra and starting early last year I have been able to get EVDO data speeds on Verizon and have not been charged.

If you find yourself on the edges of cities, or, like me you just want the piece of mind to know that you can get a signal when in the boonies, underground, etc, I would say $5.00/month is a good deal. As much as I like Sprint, Verizon still has the best coverage and a stronger signal overall. I would probably switch to Verizon considering my nightmarish CS experiences over the years with Sprint, but Verizon's prices are insane compared to Sprint.

The one thing about roaming on a 755P I have discovered is that if I am in an area with weak Sprint coverage, the Treo works best when you set it to "Roaming Networks Only" instead of relying on it making the switch when the signal dies.
    Is there any way to tell what network you're on? I assume you switch to Roaming only when you're in rural areas right? Do you switch back when in metro areas?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    Is there any way to tell what network you're on? I assume you switch to Roaming only when you're in rural areas right? Do you switch back when in metro areas?
    Hi Brian,

Yes, I switch back whenever I am in an area with better Sprint coverage. I rarely leave The City and sometimes when I am underground waiting fro BART or MUNI I have to switch to roaming only because, like I said, Verizon has a stronger signal. Sometimes it will roam correctly when it is set to Automatic. Since I have free roaming I figure I ight as well switch it to roaming only when i do not want to be disconnected.