Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,

My 650 is getting a little long in the tooth. Verizon is already trying to tempt me with a good price on a 755, and I know the Centro is coming out any week now.

But I'm conflicted.

Other than the size difference between the two, is there anything the 755 can do that the Centro can't? Or vice versa: is there anything the Centro can do that the 755 can't?

Is the software bundle with the Centro significantly better? Battery life? I already know about Centro's smaller form factor, smaller screen, and smaller keyboard, and I consider the positives (small size) versus the negatives (smaller keyboard and screen) a wash.

Thanks for your input.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    They're basically the same phone feature wise, minus the screen/keyboard differences.

The 755p dpad is better and the touchscreen is more sensitive imo. Speakerphone is a bit clearer also.

You can use the Centro Versamail update on the 755p. Other than that, you would have to buy updates for the 755p like DocsToGo to get the later versions.
    I'm having the same dilemma as wernst. I can't decide which one I want. I would really like to wait for the Treo 800w but I don't think Verizon will get until next year. Frankly, my 650 won't last that long. I know you get voice dial on the 755p, but its doesn't work over Bluetooth so that's useless. Bigger keyboard is nice for me. I have big hands. Bigger screen is nice too for Tom Tom. But, what about the price? I'm leaning towards the 755p but I don't know if the bigger screen and keyboard are worth the $150 premium. I have new every two, so the centro would be pretty much free.
    Typing on the Centro keyboard is irritating for me, it's just too small for my hands. I really like the bigger screen and better dpad also.

But if you don't mind the keyboard or screen that much the Centro is a much better deal price wise.
    Obviously, responses on a Treo 755p board will skew in a particular direction. However, I'll also state that I faced the same problem, and found that the keyboard was worth the cost. A good buddy of mine has a Centro, but I found the keyboard to be very cramped.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I like the Centro keyboard better than my old 650. My fingers were slipping on the plastic keys, I can type faster on the Centro using my finger nails.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I suggest you go to a sprint store and try both in your hands...

For one, Centro's softwaRE bundle is much better (docs2go, ptunes).

I just prefer 755's business look and bigger screen and keyboard.
    I just switched from a Centro to a 755 and I am really enjoying the bigger screen and keyboard. Best thing to do is go to the store and check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    I'm having the same dilemma as wernst. I can't decide which one I want. I would really like to wait for the Treo 800w but I don't think Verizon will get until next year. Frankly, my 650 won't last that long. I know you get voice dial on the 755p, but its doesn't work over Bluetooth so that's useless. Bigger keyboard is nice for me. I have big hands. Bigger screen is nice too for Tom Tom. But, what about the price? I'm leaning towards the 755p but I don't know if the bigger screen and keyboard are worth the $150 premium. I have new every two, so the centro would be pretty much free.
    Yes I know you can't voice dial via BlueTooth, but at least Voice Dial by Voice Signal is compatible with the 755p - it is not compaitble with the Centro.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Let me put it this way- I'm five feet tall, wear a shoe size 4 in kids, and have tiny elfin hands, and yesterday I replaced my centro with a 755p b/c it was just too dang small. My hands were cramping up from typing on the tiny keyboard & the battery life sucked. I'm MUCH happier with the 755p now. They're basically the same phone, but the centro is kind of the 'fashion' edition. serious power users and texters will do better with a 755.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
  11.    #11  
    Does the 755 have a better battery life? That would be a major bonus over the Centro.

I assume the RAM amount is the same, and I assume the in-ROM applications are the same, or are the Centro's significantly newer and better? I use ChatterEmail, so Versamail improvements aren't really something I would care about.

Thanks,
    Warr
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    The battery life is VASTLY better. The 755's battery is only 500mAH more than the Centro's, but the battery life, to me at least, seems almost double. That was a major point for me too.

The apps are slightly different, but not so much to be a deciding factor. One thing I noticed on the 755 was that the screen seemed 'faded' compared to the Centro's. Then I did a side by side comparison & saw that the Centro's screen was tinged PINK, which is why the 755's looked dingy, when in fact it's perfectly normall.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    755p pros over Centro:

-Non-slip rubberized paint
    -Higher capacity standard battery with better battery life stock. 755p has the option for even more powerful OEM-sized batteries from Seidio
    -miniSD instead of microSD (larger, less fragile, harder to lose and easier to insert/remove from the Treo). Can use microSD cards w/ adapter
    -More available accessories (cases, cradles etc)
    -Larger screen
    -Larger, better spaced keys and better keyboard for long e-mail/SMS typing
    -Better d-pad for gaming
    -More professional looking (IMO)
    -Better build quality

Centro pros over 755p:
    -Optimized NVFS so slightly less lag
    -Slightly more stable
    -Better/newer software bundle (DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe)
    -Louder speaker/speakerphone
    -Supposedly better voice quality/reception (haven't confirmed this personally)
    -Smaller/lighter
    -Cheaper (both w/ contract and unlocked/full retail)
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    KabukiAssassin;

The Centro has an 1150mAh stock battery . The 755p's stock battery is 1600mAh, so it's actually just 450mAh difference.

I find the 755p's battery life only tolerable, so I think I'd really have a hard time living with the Centro for any extended period of time, especially with likely having to crank up the Centro's brightness to make up for its tiny screen.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    hkklife,

Trust me you won't have to crankup the brightness of the small Centro screen - I in fact tunred my screen down because it was so bright. I thought my 755p was bright, but like KabukiAssassin said above, the Centro makes the 755p look dingy - but dang, I hate the pink tinge to the screen - what a defect IMHO.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Get the 3200mah battery for the 755p if you want some battery life, as long as you dont mind the slightly added bulk.
    Ah ok, 450. Close enough

I'm shocked at my battery life. I surf, text & talk all day, and after about 12 hours of solid use, it still has about 40% when I plug it in at night.

As for lag- I've noticed that the 755 is much zippier than the centro, oddly enough. the lags that drove me batty with my centro are not present with my 755. It doesn't lock up on messaging either like the centro did. I have noticed slightly worse voice quality with my 755, but not enough to really matter.
    It's funny how there are variations within the same product line model to model - I find that my stock Centro seems to be as zippy and maybe slightly zipper than my 755p. Lets hear it for superior quality control!!

BTW the Centro battery life so far seems as good as the stock battery in the 755p - but that could be because my wife doesn't use her phone in the same manner as I do - she could probably go at least 3 days before she need a charge. My 755p could make it to about 20 hours with my 2200mah battery.

Edit: my battery percentage then falls to about 35% before I put it in the charger for the night. Comes off the charger at 6am goes into the charger at about 2am
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 05/27/2008 at 02:36 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Wow, that's odd. I have a Seidio 2400mAh battery for my 755p and while using it throughout the day (littel to voice use at all--just e-mail, web, SMS & PIM with the occasional 5-10 minute game when on break) and mine is about down to 45-50% when I plug it into the charger each evening (7-8pm).

Of course I keep my brightness at about 3/4 maximum but BT & IR remain off. VersaMail auto-checks every hour on the hour from 8am-5pm.

My 755p is less laggy than my 700p but still a bit less zippy than the 2 Sprint Centros I have used. And those still have a good bit of lag present, especially when launching the phone app or launching Blazer.

P.S. For what it's worth, I had three 700p's and all of them exhibited varying battery life, lag, LCD brightness/tint and voice quality/volume. The newest (from earlier this year. _1.10 ROM standard) was the best in all regards, with the worst being my 2nd (received with the stock 1.06 ROM but flashed to the "buggy" -1.10 ROM).

This wildly varying quality control is nothing new for Palm. I've been seeing it since (at least) the m505 days in 2001. Remember the USA vs. Hungary debate? Then the T|T line really set a new benchmark for Palm's mixed quality control. Some T|T's had loose, sloppy sliders and others were so tight you had to really give it a tug to pull the slider down. And who can forget the Sony vs. Sharp "stagelight" LCD debate!?! And even today you still find TXs & Treos/Centros with screen/camera differences in the same model.
  20.    #20  
    Does the Centro have better Bluetooth functionality or compatibility as a result of being a newer device?

-Warr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast