Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pretty sure they have the same bluetooth stack and whatnot.
    I pulled the trigger on the 755p today. The 650's had it. The thing can't even keep a signal. All calls drop after about a minute. I'm using the backup Razr right now. I refuse to txt. Its actually physically painful. Thought about the Curve. Seriously thought about it. Then I went into the store and tried to enter an appt in the Calendar. Man, that left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The Centro & 755p both have the same Garnet BT 1.2 stack essentially but the Centro uses a different and/or newer mobo/chipset vs. the 755p. So the Centro's improvements likely stem from that.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I find it crazy too that experiences here are so vastly varied. The Centro was so laggy I couldn't stand it. It'd lock up & I'd try to hit the home button, then the screen would go off, then I'd turn it back on & it'd be on the home screen. Ugh drove me NUTS. I have the exact same setup, program & setting-wise, on the 755 now that I had on the Centro & the lags just aren't there on the 755. So wierd.

Sticky- I hear ya. I tried to use a blackberry once & nearly tore my hair out just trying to figure out how to get online with it. If I, an uber-geek of the highest magnitude, a blackbelt of binary, can't figure out a device w/o having to consult the manual, well then the device is just fundamentally flawed.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    The 755p plays nicer with SkinUI from my experience also.
    I think people refer to lags under very different circumstances. 3 seconds switching out or in to Blazer is normal since it is always reloaded. One application running at a time. Palm would do well to display some kind of indication that the system is processing or progressing to reassure the user.

However, a friend of mine owns a 700p and complains of a lag just trying to access the drop down menus or in the middle of typing. That would not be acceptable.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    for me, the only major difference between centro and 755p is the form factor. other than, they are pretty much the same. OS versions, bundled softwares etc.
    "If you bring forth what is within you, it will heal you. And if you do not bring forth what is within you, it will destroy you." (from the Gospel of St. Thomas)
    I agonized over the choice myself. I ended up with the 755p and love it. Bigger screen & better keys were the big pluses for me. It is a LOT more stabile than my 700P was.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    The 755p plays nicer with SkinUI from my experience also.
    I've noticed this as well. My centro crashed horribly with skinui & now I can use it again

As for the lags- I did a side by side comparison of the same apps & whatnot & the 755 definitely won in all categories. Very strange, but good IMO. It's diff for everyone though I guess.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Just activated my 755p and I must say that there are some definate improvements over the 650. The rubberized housing is genius. Also, the buttons feel incredibly solid. I'm anxious to test the EVDO speed. I think its ludicrous that you get better software with the Centro. Mainly PTunes Deluxe is what I want.
    PDA: Clie TH-55 -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> HTC XV6800 -> Treo 755p
    Cell: Qualcomm Thin Phone -> LG TM510 -> Audiovox CDM9500 -> Moto v710
    Sad thing is the web browsing would be so much faster if they let you change the DNS servers...
    OK, I switched out the 755p for the Centro. Mainly because of the price difference. I just couldn't see pay $200 more for a device that did the exact same thing. Plus I can upgrade again in 10 months and I'd like to save my money for the 800w. But let me just say that if you're thinking of making the same trade, don't! Maybe its just me but I much prefer the larger screen, bigger sturdier buttons on the 755p over the flimsiness of the centro. I also liked the rubberized coating on the 755p. The keyboard is small but I'm getting used to it. Its very snappy, which I like. It may be that I'm a long time Treo 650 user and I just need time, so we'll see. Ohh...before I forget. I don't know what the differences in BT stack/hardware are but the 755p worked much better with Softick Audio Gateway. It was like butter. Now with the Centro, there are gaps and skips all over the place. Not cool.
    Well, I also use SAG and the problem you are experiencing does not occur on the 2 Centros in the family. Maybe signal strength in the area(s) you are in?
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    OK, I switched out the 755p for the Centro. Mainly because of the price difference. I just couldn't see pay $200 more for a device that did the exact same thing. Plus I can upgrade again in 10 months and I'd like to save my money for the 800w. But let me just say that if you're thinking of making the same trade, don't! Maybe its just me but I much prefer the larger screen, bigger sturdier buttons on the 755p over the flimsiness of the centro. I also liked the rubberized coating on the 755p. The keyboard is small but I'm getting used to it. Its very snappy, which I like. It may be that I'm a long time Treo 650 user and I just need time, so we'll see. Ohh...before I forget. I don't know what the differences in BT stack/hardware are but the 755p worked much better with Softick Audio Gateway. It was like butter. Now with the Centro, there are gaps and skips all over the place. Not cool.
    If you ever want to switch back, you can consider buying my 755p (like-new condition and no problems) and sell your Centro to cover the costs.

I have a 755p and Centro next to each other and I like the 755p better for several hardware reasons (keyboard, screen, better touch sensitivity, better microphone, better speakerphone).
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    If you ever want to switch back, you can consider buying my 755p (like-new condition and no problems) and sell your Centro to cover the costs.

I have a 755p and Centro next to each other and I like the 755p better for several hardware reasons (keyboard, screen, better touch sensitivity, better microphone, better speakerphone).
    I might think about it but you have a Sprint phone. But I'm ok with the Centro for what it is. Its a $99 phone. I guess I can't expect it to be built like a more expensive one. It works. I got it for nothing and its a good stop gap until VZW get the 800w or 850 which should be sometime before Christmas 2009.
    While looking the 800w over, I also compared the web speeds of the centro to those of the treo 755p.

They were exactly the same in browsing speeds. I really didn't see a difference in switching into and out of apps btwn the two devices either.

These two devices are the same, simply packaged with different exteriors.
    while looking over the 800w, I compared the browsing speeds of the centro to the 755p.

They were exactly the same speed wise.

Switching into and out of apps was exactly the same as well. neither device was faster than the other.

They are the same device in different packaging.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12