1.    #1  
    so, I'm new to this palm world. I've decided that I want to buy something that enhances the looks of my centro, and have narrowed it down to takephone and treo launcher. I can't for the life of me figure out what the differences are. I think takephone is just something to be used as a contact organizer, whereas treo launcher is something that replaces the user interface of the palm os. despite this, they both look the same to me. are there any real distinctions between the two?
    TakePhone is a contact enhancement app that is the best you'll find out there. Treo Launcher is just that "Launcher". In that light you are kind of conparing apples to oranges. I would more likely compare TakePhone to Ultimate Phone as they are both built on similar concepts but TakePhone blows UP away in functionality and interface. Treo Launcher I would compare to either Intiate or Zlauncher. They are replacements for the standard palm Launcher. I personally think Initiate (by hobbyistsoftware) is the best out there but it takes some getting use to. Another reason to try Initiate is that the developer has a challenge that if you try it for a week and don't like it, he will give you 20% off any other launcher, so it might make sense to start there. www.hobbyistsoftware.com

So in summary you may want to consider getting both a contact management app like takePhone as well as a launcher app. If you'd rather not spend the money, TP does come with iBar plugin that allows you to use it as a launcher. So i would go for that instead. Be sure to give any app your interested in a test drive before you buy any on them TP gives you 30 days full functionality (you may never ant to give it back afterwards) and most other good apps give you at least a week or just occasionally nag you to register. Sorry for the long post (got carried away). Good luck!!
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the thorough post...I was kind of leaning towards the treo launcher, for no other reason than because it would allow me to have an FSU background. it looks like initiate does as well. that's a great starting point. thanks.
    why not both? install the trials for both and see which one you like/will use more and buy that one first. Takephone is a time limited trial (I THINK it is 30 days). TreoLauncher has a nag screen that occasionally popped up but is not time limited.

Better yet, buy takephone and donate money to your favorite charity and send that information to Horace for a free copy of TreoLauncher. There is a thread somewhere about that.
    They really aren't exclusive. TP is a contacts manager / phone app. TL is a way to launch all the other programs you use. They actually complement each other.

And I'm sure someone will be happy to make you an FSU wall paper for TP, if you ask.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I use both and love them and they work great together.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    They really aren't exclusive. TP is a contacts manager / phone app. TL is a way to launch all the other programs you use. They actually complement each other.

And I'm sure someone will be happy to make you an FSU wall paper for TP, if you ask.
    See the TakePhone Skin thread. They already made a couple FSU skins.
    Don't think FSU has been done yet. 49ers and Redskins have (which are similar colors).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    As far as which one to buy, if you can only afford one, go with TAKEphONE. Shimon possibly has in the works a screen that will have 20 like ibar buttons per page that you could use as a launcher from within TAKEphONE.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  10.    #10  
    See the TakePhone Skin thread. They already made a couple FSU skins.
    I did a search of that thread, and I looked at NachoB's two galleries, to no avail. I tried making one myself, but it looks a little weird. haha.

that being said, I may try to the takephone + charity option...I just donated a little bit a while back; maybe that will work.
    They both work well together and supported by 2 great developers.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I was looking at the two also. I got the treo launcher trial and liked it quite well. Then I bought Takephone when Shimon had it on sale for like 5 bucks. Takephone is by far the best app Iv'e put on my Centro! I just use the default background and it really does make it look much more up to date. The search feature is awesome and I use it as my launcher also. I use the ibar for my apps since the search feature for contacts works so outstanding.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    donate money to your favorite charity and send that information to Horace for a free copy of TreoLauncher. There is a thread somewhere about that.
    The thread is in the Palm OS Apps area and titled "Donation for China Earthquake, get free Treo Launcher". I decided to take advantage of this offer, so I made a donation and mailed the relevant information to Horace about two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for a response though.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I have both as well. Very much worth the money. But if you only can choose one right now as NachoB said choose TakePhone you will not be disapointed.
    If you can only choose one, I'd say it depends on what you mostly use your Treo for. If you're a heavy phone / contacts app user, then choose TakePhone. If you don't use the phone all that heavily, but have a ton of extra apps you use regularly, then a launcher will be more valuable to you.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.