1. BJB
    I am looking at moving from a 650 to a 755P and trying to decide if it is worth the hassle. This is just one of them.

Anyway, I know I can beam the memo app files to my new device. My question is (without burning a new ROM and hacking the desktop) can I keep the old memo conduit to synch the files?

Over the years I have always uninstalled an old Palm Desktop version before ugprading to a new one. But of course that deletes the conduit. The Verizon FAQ says to install the new desktop over your old one, but I have never done that before. But if you did that, it might keep the conduit?

So having the app on the unit allows you to create and read memos but they would not be synched nor can you edit them on the desktop unless you do that hack I saw which I prefer not to.

It's too bad Palm felt it necessary to delete the app. and conduit. It must have been necessary to save space due to the massive amounts of new features and functionality added in the latest Garnet version!

BJB
    right, when you get your 755, you just install the new Palm Desktop right over the desktop from the 650. that is what you are supposed to do, it will keep all the same usernames and conduits, just add new ones that are specifically for the 755. You should though do a clean install by renaming your old Palm Backup file so that all the third party stuff does not hotsync. Then you can install each one at a time to avoid any conflicts. I am sure your old memos are backed up somewhere and you can find them and hotsync them over to the 755. I believe that I still have a Memo conduit for my 755.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I have gone from the 600 to the 650 to the 700 to the 755, and I always installed the new software directly "over" the old. I still have the memo app, as I did on the 600, with all of my memos intact.

Right now I am syncing with outlook 2007, but I have all the memos, and a conduit to the outlook memos. I believe if I were to sync to palm desktop, there would still be a memo conduit.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
  4. BJB
    Thanks for the great input. I've been through a few upgrades myself, hence I don't dive in lightly!
    I don't synch with Outlook but since you brought up the backup folder, this is my (adjusted) planned upgrade process:

-Run a final sync
    -Backup entire palm directory
    -Backup both palm picture folders.* One in Palm directory somewhere, one in "My pictures."
    -Create Archive/Export files of contacts and calendar from palm desktop
    -Uninstall Backup buddy.
    -Delete old backupbuddy directory in the username folder.
    -Install new Palm Desktop over the old one to keep the old conduits (per the input here)
    -Rename palm backup folder under my username so as not to install 3rd party apps. (ALWAYS do this...must do)
    -Set conduit to desktop overwrites handheld for all conduits
    Do first Sync
    -Install backup buddy on desktop and memory card
    -Sync
    -Install mp3 ringer software and convert ringer
    -Copy pix to memory card
    -Beam notebook app. files (I think there are 3?) to 755 from the 650

Sound about right?
    BJB
    Quote Originally Posted by BJB View Post
    Thanks for the great input. I've been through a few upgrades myself, hence I don't dive in lightly!
    I don't synch with Outlook but since you brought up the backup folder, this is my (adjusted) planned upgrade process:

-Run a final sync
    -Backup entire palm directory
    -Backup both palm picture folders.* One in Palm directory somewhere, one in "My pictures."
    -Create Archive/Export files of contacts and calendar from palm desktop
    -Uninstall Backup buddy.
    -Delete old backupbuddy directory in the username folder.
    -Install new Palm Desktop over the old one to keep the old conduits (per the input here)
    -Rename palm backup folder under my username so as not to install 3rd party apps. (ALWAYS do this...must do)
    -Set conduit to desktop overwrites handheld for all conduits
    Do first Sync
    -Install backup buddy on desktop and memory card
    -Sync
    -Install mp3 ringer software and convert ringer
    -Copy pix to memory card
    -Beam notebook app. files (I think there are 3?) to 755 from the 650

Sound about right?
    BJB
    That's a little more complicated than it needs to be. Correct, do one last hotsync of the 650, then rename the Backup folder found in the Palm folder on your computer. Install the new Dekstop over the old one, then hookup the 755 to the computer and do a hotsync, choosing your old username from the Palm Desktop. Your calendar and contacts will all still be there, from the old 650 desktop, plus any memos. As I said, I still have a Memo conduit on my 755 Desktop. That is the simple beauty of installing the desktops over each other, it keeps all of your info intact.

OH- be sure when you do your first hotsync with your 755, that you set the Backup Conduit in the Palm Desktop to "Desktop overwrites Handheld" just for this first sync. Then it will automatically switch back to "Handheld overwrites Desktop" for subsequent hotsyncs.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  6. BJB
    One last question...am I correct that even after installing over the old desktop, that I will not be able to EDIT my memos in the desktop app, although the conduit will be there.

Can live with it, just curious.

No doubt backup buddy makes it more complicated but it has saved my bacon many times. Also, I backup all the pictures because I have had some really strange sync stuff happen with pictures over the years. Not the most robust sync logic there IMHO.

BJB
    Normally I would completely disable the media sync anyways because the cable is so damn slow.

Also if your images are on the SD card (which I can't imagine why they wouldn't be) then there isn't that much worry about needing to back them up. At worst you could manually sync the media over every now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Normally I would completely disable the media sync anyways because the cable is so damn slow.
    I also have always disabled the Media conduit, as Papped says, it really slows up the hotsync, especially if you have videos on there. I use the program Card Reader and just drag and drop photos and videos between the PC and the treo.