Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. EnronRocks's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I got my Palm Treo 700P a while ago and have been using it for some time now. I have to say over all it looks good, but that is where it ends. The phone has a horrible camera. I really did not use it much, but was a downfall since I have not had one before. Along with that, it would constantly reset itself multiple times when I was trying to respond to ANY and EVERY email that I got. So I called Verizon Wireless, they said to call Treo and I planned to. The next day I went to work. When I got to work I placed the Treo in my back pocket, like I have always done with every phone I have ever owned in my entire life. Keep in mind I weight a good ole 115-120 pounds! When I sat down at my desk in a office chair that is cushioned, the screen cracked in multiple places. So I call Treo to inform them about this and the reseting, I was immediately told that the warranty was done for now that the screen was cracked. So I ask for a supervisor and explain my issues with this and was directed to Corporate Customer Relations. I was again explained the same thing, and I really don't care that I voided the warranty. What pisses me off, is the fact that they want to charge me $199.00 to replace the screen after I paid full retail for the device.

    After that I went off on a good 5 minute rant about how horrible their products are and how I will be canceling my current order for more Treo devices for all my employees, all 21 of them. I might also add that I paid full retail from Verizon for those as well in a attempt to rely less on our BlackBerry's.

    I now realize why RIM has dominated the market with their BlackBerry device. It is a well built phone with out the BS they feed you on the customer service side of things. I will NEVER buy a Palm product again for myself, my family, nor my employees. I will NOT reccomend them to anyone I know. I will talk them down anytime someone asks me about them, bet it a stranger I overhear or a person I know. They lost a loyal customer (I have had a BlackBerry for 8 years before the 700P) and I wish them horrible success and continued failure in the market.
  2. ceb
    ceb is offline
    ceb's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by EnronRocks View Post
    So I got my Palm Treo 700P a while ago and have been using it for some time now. I have to say over all it looks good, but that is where it ends. The phone has a horrible camera. I really did not use it much, but was a downfall since I have not had one before. Along with that, it would constantly reset itself multiple times when I was trying to respond to ANY and EVERY email that I got. So I called Verizon Wireless, they said to call Treo and I planned to. The next day I went to work. When I got to work I placed the Treo in my back pocket, like I have always done with every phone I have ever owned in my entire life. Keep in mind I weight a good ole 115-120 pounds! When I sat down at my desk in a office chair that is cushioned, the screen cracked in multiple places. So I call Treo to inform them about this and the reseting, I was immediately told that the warranty was done for now that the screen was cracked. So I ask for a supervisor and explain my issues with this and was directed to Corporate Customer Relations. I was again explained the same thing, and I really don't care that I voided the warranty. What pisses me off, is the fact that they want to charge me $199.00 to replace the screen after I paid full retail for the device.

    After that I went off on a good 5 minute rant about how horrible their products are and how I will be canceling my current order for more Treo devices for all my employees, all 21 of them. I might also add that I paid full retail from Verizon for those as well in a attempt to rely less on our BlackBerry's.

    I now realize why RIM has dominated the market with their BlackBerry device. It is a well built phone with out the BS they feed you on the customer service side of things. I will NEVER buy a Palm product again for myself, my family, nor my employees. I will NOT reccomend them to anyone I know. I will talk them down anytime someone asks me about them, bet it a stranger I overhear or a person I know. They lost a loyal customer (I have had a BlackBerry for 8 years before the 700P) and I wish them horrible success and continued failure in the market.
    ...you put a hundred twenty pounds of pressure on your phone - and bent it in the process - and are surprised that it broke?

    You call yourself a loyal customer because you've owned one Palm device for a whole month?

    What a maroon....
    Cheers

    Charles
  3. EnronRocks's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    ...you put a hundred twenty pounds of pressure on your phone - and bent it in the process - and are surprised that it broke?

    You call yourself a loyal customer because you've owned one Palm device for a whole month?

    What a maroon....
    I call myself a loyal customer because I have owned a BlackBerry for years, and done the EXACT same thing with my BlackBerry and had absolutely nothing go wrong with it. The fact that the Palm is called the BlackBerry competitor and can not sit in my back pocket without getting broken is ridiculous in my eyes, especially when the phone that is supposed to be worse than it has done it countless times. Not to mention on a cushioned office chair...... Oh well, the difference between us is apparent.

    Also, calling someone a "maroon", which is a good color by the way, is also stupid.
  4. #4  
    Well, "loyal customer" indicates someone with some Treo experience. Why would an experienced Treo user put the device in a back pocket and then sit on it?

    I guess a lumpy **** would hit the screen just right and break it. So I guess Palm should be responsible for that?

    The crashes are most often due to the software a user puts into the device, or a corrupt database file. There are apps available to scan database files. If there is an app you installed that was causing crash issues, you should have delt with that issue.

    A device is only as good as the user using it, or the network the device is tied to.....

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    A device is only as good as the user using it, or the network the device is tied to.....

    Excellent point !!!
  6. #6  
    What a laugh for a long, long day.
  7. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #7  
    To the orginal poster: Yeah, we should all be more carefull with expensive equipment, that goes without saying... however, when did the resets happened? did you install any extra software? Maybe you may not want to use the 700p at all, but in case you do post the conditions that led to a reset and maybe someone can help.

    To the other posters:

    Oh c'mon people... you really go all the way to "protect" Palm. I've sat on my 700p many times, i'd say about 100 pounds of good ol'flesh and bone and nothing, no screen has cracked. I have droped the device from 6 feet and is still functional. Truth of the matter is that, more likely the OP had a defective phone and mechanical defects do happen.

    You'd be surprised the conditions handheld and many other devices have to pass in order to be sold and get all of the fancy stickers on the back... 3ft Drops on solid concrete, constant vibration for 24hrs or more, etc; and the device has to operate even after such harsh conditions. Devices are made for some rough treatment, since we all know that accidents happen.

    Just as a reference, for the original RAZR screen, one of the tests consisted in dropping an iron ball bearing from about a foot on the screen, and it had to survive to pass. Let''s not dwelve into the math involved but that is quite a good amount of force/pressure applied in a single point. RAZR screens are tough. Since Palm deals with resistive touchscreens, they had to protect it by recessing the screen but not handling even distributed pressure? Something is not right.

    treotraveler,

    And you go all the way to frustrate the original poster even further, with a post entry that is devoid of substance... perhaps you missed the parts where he clarified he's a loyal customer to a brand (good brands that is), not a Palm fanboy; he described that no one at either Palm nor Verizon helped him root cause the original problem, also that similar non-Palm devices can take a little more beating under the exact same circumstances.

    Perhaps you carry your Treo in a solid steel case, drive it in an armored vehicle, and have a dedicated shrine for it back home... maybe you fail to realize that there's people that use the device every single day as a smartphone and simple mistakes do happen.

    Since you comment "A device is only as good as the user using it, or the network the device is tied to....." perhaps is apropos that Palm is in the state that is with content fanboys as yourself, that fail to demand more from their technology and gadgets.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  8. #8  
    I do put a lot of effort in to trashing my devices, however, I do not put a lot of effort in to protecting them. I keep it clean and case it when not using it. I use it for about 6 hours a day with hands that are filthy and when done at one location, clean the hands, wipe the Centro down and case it. I do not have a screen protector on it. For one thing though, I never put it in my pocket.
  9. #9  
    I've been incredibly lucky. My 700P has been running perfectly for almost two years now. I've never had to install the update; BT has always worked just fine; any time I've had resets or lag it was due to software and easily correctable; it has been bulletproof. I've had it out in the ocean almost every weekend. I watch movies, listen to songs, surf the web, use Chatter to keep track of five email accounts, including my work Outlook; use it with my laptop as a tether for web access...there are two things wrong with phone. One: Songs skip on PTunes. Two: Sprint absolutely sucks in terms of dropped calls..not the Treo's fault.
    Otherwise, it's been well worth every penny I paid for it.
  10. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #10  
    ROFLMAO! So this guy actually sat on it on purpose? I'm sorry but maroon was a nicer word than what you should have been called....Experienced my left $%$##
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    treotraveler,

    And you go all the way to frustrate the original poster even further, with a post entry that is devoid of substance...
    Thank You Waldo. Your opinion is taken for what it's worth, as always...

    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    perhaps you missed the parts where he clarified he's a loyal customer to a brand (good brands that is), not a Palm fanboy;
    Perhaps you you missed the part where the OP said this. I included the quote in case you can't see it:

    Quote Originally Posted by EnronRocks View Post
    I will talk them down anytime someone asks me about them, bet it a stranger I overhear or a person I know. They lost a loyal customer
    Is the OP talking about Palm or Rim? It looks like the OP is talking about Palm, not Rim.....

    I carry my devices in leather clip pouches. I damn sure don't carry them in my back pockets and I damn sure don't sit on them.

  12. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #12  
    Perhaps we should let the OP have a word on this, however from the original entry what I can gather is that he was willing to become a loyal customer as long as the company provided him with good support. Don't we all want that anyways?

    Originally Posted by EnronRocks
    I will talk them down anytime someone asks me about them, bet it a stranger I overhear or a person I know. They lost a loyal customer
    Yes, he's talking about Palm... he gave them a chance, and they lost his business. EnronRocks pehaps wanted to get on board with the Palm hype and "excitement" as of late, and with experiences like these then it is almost obvious why he wouldn't like to continue with Palm.

    I carry my devices in leather clip pouches. I damn sure don't carry them in my back pockets and I damn sure don't sit on them.
    And please forgive us, mere mortals who dare to put aways technodevices in places that were not meant to be placed in... I mean, who in their rights minds would put ANYTHING in their back pockets? Why do even trouser manufacturers put POCKETS in the back side? I see now how it was all a conspiracy to get us... Should we also ask those who put their devices in other ungodly places what their experiences are? I can only wonder the extreme situation when someone puts their phone in a hand purse full of small objects, and has to ride in a crowded subway... when will the mistreatment of gadgets ever end? Oh the humanity, when will we learn?...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  13. #13  
    Waldo, your self imposed Palm victimization speaks loudly. I put a lot of things in my back pockets, ie: wallet, comb, papers etc.

    But I never put an expensive device in my back pockets to sit on them. I suppose, just supposing here, that if I left my 650, 700p or Centro on the roof, or bed sill on my one ton pickup, and I turn a corner, if the device slides off onto the street and gets run over, should I hold Palm accountable or should I take responsibilty for doing a stupid thing.

    You obviously belong to the hate Palm clique, and can't accept the fact that some know how to use a device and don't do stupid things everyday.

    Have a nice day! I know I will, not thinking like you do!

  14. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #14  
    Yeah you're right, dumb folk should be forbidden to have access to expensive pieces of equipment anyways... next time I buy a smartphone I'll make sure I pass the exam that qualifies me as an acceptable user.

    But you didn't stop to think about those who put their Treos in regular places, and then called them for doing that. I put you on the spot and then run away. I mean, why so righteous there? There is were I take issue. That is where, if we are to call names, I take the Palm-kool-aid-drinking-fanboys to issue. When faced with logic in the face of irony, they run. "You dumb, you should not have installed that app" "You maroon [sic], why did you use your pockets to stow away your phone" "I mean, who in their right minds would use WM anyways?"

    I don't belong to Palm-hate camp, as hard as that may be for you or others to imagine. I belong to a) the camp willing to spend time in these forums helping people with valid problems so they don't suffer unecessary pains, while avoiding calling them names for decisions that they made which I am not entitled to question anyways, unless explicitly requested to, and b) the camp willing to take the heat dealing with fanboys that think that everyone who has ever held a smartphone made by Palm should be a genius in their actions, and follow a very exapct protocol on device maintenance and good keeping. The fanboys that thank Palm every day for the mana given in the form of a Treo/centro.

    I am having a wonderful day (thanks for the good wishes anyways) even more now that:

    - the 850 has leaked and the 800w-lovers are crying foul
    - Fanboys like you that keep me in shape.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  15. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Yeah you're right, dumb folk should be forbidden to have access to expensive pieces of equipment anyways... next time I buy a smartphone I'll make sure I pass the exam that qualifies me as an acceptable user.

    But you didn't stop to think about those who put their Treos in regular places, and then called them for doing that. I put you on the spot and then run away. I mean, why so righteous there? There is were I take issue. That is where, if we are to call names, I take the Palm-kool-aid-drinking-fanboys to issue. When faced with logic in the face of irony, they run. "You dumb, you should not have installed that app" "You maroon [sic], why did you use your pockets to stow away your phone" "I mean, who in their right minds would use WM anyways?"

    I don't belong to Palm-hate camp, as hard as that may be for you or others to imagine. I belong to a) the camp willing to spend time in these forums helping people with valid problems so they don't suffer unecessary pains, while avoiding calling them names for decisions that they made which I am not entitled to question anyways, unless explicitly requested to, and b) the camp willing to take the heat dealing with fanboys that think that everyone who has ever held a smartphone made by Palm should be a genius in their actions, and follow a very exapct protocol on device maintenance and good keeping. The fanboys that thank Palm every day for the mana given in the form of a Treo/centro.

    I am having a wonderful day (thanks for the good wishes anyways) even more now that:

    - the 850 has leaked and the 800w-lovers are crying foul
    - Fanboys like you that keep me in shape.
    Your right the name calling was not warranted, but you have to be acccountable for your lack of common sense. Why would you put such a device in the back of your pocket when there are holsters available for such. Thats the basic premise of all the responses...

    Then you want to blame Palm for your actions, Palm never advertised the device as a miniature stool to be sat on, it's a SMARTPHONE!
  16. #16  
    I'm sorry but I would never put anything in my back pockets if I was planning on sitting on it.

    I put my Treo's in my front/back/side pockets (I have different leather belt pouches) all the time but never put it in a position where weight or force would be applied. In all seriousness would you take your laptop set it on your padded chair and proceed to sit on it?



    I feel bad that the OP got the runaround with customer service, and its something that we all run into from time to time.
  17. #17  
    I used to be Palm fanboy. But, I have been extremely disappointed with the Treo 700p until I installed the 755p ROM. Now, I can use the phone until the next big thing comes along at Sprint.

    Anyone keeping a phone, let alone one with an unprotected screen, in their back pants pocket, let alone sitting with it there, is asking for trouble. Did you purchase insurance???
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    I carry my devices in leather clip pouches. I damn sure don't carry them in my back pockets and I damn sure don't sit on them.

    I agree that Treotraveler does not keep his 700p in his back pocket but does stick it somewhere else in that general vicinity. That is why he is always so cranky and quick to the keyboard whenever he sees an opportunity to be derisive to some unfortunate human being.

    If I may address EnronRocks though, I believe that one day you will reflect upon that decision as not having been one of the best ones you ever made. As Treotraveler correctly points out, it is obvious just from the feel of the 700p's plastic that it is just too fragile to expect it to survive what most run of the mill cellphones can. I am sure he would also agree that using it in the rain is a big do not do either just in case you don't know. I have even seen problems when a person gets caught in a heavy rainfall and their Treo gets screwed up by just being in a non-weather resistant pocket. When I am in that situation, I wrap the 700p up in a plastic bag before going out. The 700p may be many things, but rugged has never been one of them.

    If you were able to get away with sitting on a Blackberry on a regular basis then I say congratulations to the engineers at RIM for outperforming their counterparts at Palm. It will never happen with any of the Treo phones that use the basic construction design of the 700p though.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I agree that Treotraveler does not keep his 700p in his back pocket but does stick it somewhere else in that general vicinity. That is why he is always so cranky and quick to the keyboard whenever he sees an opportunity to be derisive to some unfortunate human being.
    Golly Blob, you're almost just to damn funny.....

    Hey, I understand you got yourself a new pink Centro. You must have found someone to set it up and show you how to use it.


  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Golly Blob, you're almost just to damn funny.....

    Hey, I understand you got yourself a new pink Centro. You must have found someone to set it up and show you how to use it.


    I think you would like the Centro. Since it is much smaller, it would fit you there much more comfortably than that 700p.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.

Posting Permissions