Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Heads up regarding BackupBuddy (BBVFS Pro 4.3.0) on Treo 680 (unlocked PALM brand, Treo680-1.12-ROW firmware)

    I was using this program without any problems for a long time on Treo 600 and Treo 650 but on Treo 680 it always fails when restoring Saved Preferences. In fact it fails consistently (forced soft reset) if I do the following:

    1. Hard reset
    2. Full backup to SD
    3. Full restore from SD
    4. Consistent crash when it gets to restoring Saved Preferences (does not matter if BBVFS is run from ROM or from SD)

    I contacted the developer (Blue Nomad) and below is the answer that I got. The explanation clearly is designed to cover up a major software flaw since I am able to restore the same Saved Preferences file using FileZ and I did explain that to them.

    Sorry - not a reliable vendor in my opinion and I'm moving on to other backup software.

    Pawel

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Blue Nomad Support [mailto:support@bluenomad.com]
    Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:51 PM
    To: xxxxxxx
    Subject: ReCase 202024) Fails to restore preferences

    It looks like there isn't much we can do about this issue. If the file is locked during restore we can't replace it and that appears to be what is happening.

    We apologize for any inconvenience.


    Sincerely,

    Bobby
    Blue Nomad Support
    support@bluenomad.com
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by staryjary View Post
    ...
    1. Hard reset
    2. Full backup to SD
    3. Full restore from SD
    4. Consistent crash when it gets to restoring Saved Preferences (does not matter if BBVFS is run from ROM or from SD)
    Forgive me if I'm not understanding something, but if you do a hard reset then a full backup, aren't you backing up nothing? Doesn't the hard reset wipe everything from the Treo?
  3. #3  
    Just hotsync and the Saved Preferences will be restored. With the newer versions of Palm Desktop pretty much everything is restored anyways.

    Fk
  4.    #4  
    GerryL,

    It backsup everything in ROM even if you do not install anything yet. That is why this is such a problem - its is suppose to work on a "clean" Treo 680.
  5.    #5  
    Kiddokay,

    Tried hotsync and it does work - same results for BackupBuddy afterwards however. But I do need SD backup because I often travel without a PC and SD is the only restore available for me in case I need one.
  6. #6  
    nvbackup..
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    nvbackup..
    Seconded!
  8. #8  
    I just visited the Palmgear site to checkout Nvbackup because i have had the same problem with backup buddy. When i bring up the info on nvbackup, i get a message that it is not compatible with my OS even though i have the OS listed as Palm and the device as a 680. It does say in the description that it works on the 680 but i'm CONFUSSEDDD.. any input?? Thanks
  9. #9  
    nvbackup works well with Treo 680 unlocked GSM & software versions 1.04 & 2.12.
  10.    #10  
    kyeoh,

    What software are you referring to when you say “software versions 1.04 & 2.12”?

    Quote Originally Posted by kyeoh View Post
    nvbackup works well with Treo 680 unlocked GSM & software versions 1.04 & 2.12.
  11.    #11  
    khayttsus,

    Thanks for the tip!

    I did move to Nvbackup because it does not exhibit the problem that BackupBuddy does. The only issue I have is that a full restore after a hard reset does not restore all preferences – I have to manually re-set some options (ex: Butler) and re-enter some reg codes (ex: 4cast). Oh well, life is not perfect. Better this than a failed restore with a crash!


    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    nvbackup..
  12. #12  
    kyeoh.. i downloaded the nvbackup and you're right. It works just fine..as long as i disable the Teallock first.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by staryjary View Post
    kyeoh,

    What software are you referring to when you say “software versions 1.04 & 2.12”?
    Sorry, I should have specified better. Treo unlocked GSM software versions, the version found in "Phone Info" in the Phone application.

    nvbackup works with Treo680-1.04-ROW & Treo680-2.12-ROW.
  14.    #14  
    Is it Treo680-2.12-ROW or Treo680-1.12-ROW?

    Quote Originally Posted by kyeoh View Post
    Sorry, I should have specified better. Treo unlocked GSM software versions, the version found in "Phone Info" in the Phone application.

    nvbackup works with Treo680-1.04-ROW & Treo680-2.12-ROW.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by staryjary View Post
    Is it Treo680-2.12-ROW or Treo680-1.12-ROW?
    Treo680-2.12-ROW. This is the version released in Australia & I think Asia.

Posting Permissions