1.    #1  
    I launched Kinoma yesterday (using 4.4 on a 700p) so I could watch a clip of this video on YouTube, and when I went to the search part, then YouTube and typed in the search box, and hit search, it brings up the white box and says...

Cannot Play

"YouTube" cannot be played. It may be an unsupported format, incompatible with this handheld, or an invalid file.

I use to have no problems with the YouTube stuff, and all of the sudden I get that error.

I'm not sure what is causing this or what to do. Anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I use to have no problems with the YouTube stuff, and all of the sudden I get that error. I'm not sure what is causing this or what to do.
    This seems to work fine in v4.4.1, so just update and all should be well.

http://blog.kinoma.com/2008/01/kinom...now-available/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Charles,

I realized just now when I launched the program I had 4.4.1 installed and I get the error with that version.

It's funny cause it wont even search when I type something.

Should I do a clean install or what? I'm stumped as to why this is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    It's funny cause it wont even search when I type something. Should I do a clean install or what? I'm stumped as to why this is happening.
    There's no obvious cause I can think of, so a clean install would be a good first step. If it persists after that, our support folks would be glad to help.

Inspired by your note, I posted a hopefully-helpful article called "Fix (or rule out) corruption with a clean install" on our blog.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  5.    #5  
    Well I tried the clean install exactly like it suggested, and no luck. I never got a link in my e-mail and happen to find the old e-mail, but no luck with the install.

I'll submit a support ticket. The device wont search anything I type in under the YouTube search.
    Using Kinoma 4.4.1 on a Centro I get the same message as the OP when I try to open YouTube. Also when I open Blazer go to YouTube and try to play a video from there, Kinoma launches, but then I get am error "461-unsupported transport" message. Oddly I can save a YouTube video to my PC, load it on the Centro's SDHC card and Kinoma will play those videos with no problems.

Edited to add:
    I just tried opening Kinoma and going to the Kinoma Media Guide then going to Browse by Provider then YouTube and it worked just fine. Also search works from the Kinoma Media Guide as well. If I try to go to YouTube from the "Open URL" in the Kinoma menu then I get the error message that the OP got.

It appears that HOW you try to access YouTube has somethng to do with the errors we're seeing.

Elfyn
    Last edited by Elfyn; 05/27/2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Additional information
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfyn View Post
    Using Kinoma 4.4.1 on a Centro I get the same message as the OP when I try to open YouTube.
    Can you share the specific error you saw and the URL you used? I'd like to try to reproduce this.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    No prob Charles. I got errors two different ways.

1. Open Blazer browser and goto YouTube. Click on any video. Kinoma will open and you get the error: 461- Unsupported Transport.

2. Open Kinoma and select Open URL from the menu. Type in http://www.youtube.com as the URL and hit OK. You will get error: Cannot Play "www.youtube.com" cannot be played. It may be an unsupported format, incompatible with this handheld or an invalid file.

BUT if I open Kinoma and select the Media Guide (little globe icon on the bottom) and go from there, I can search, browse by provider, etc. All YouTube videos I got to from here play just fine.

Hopefully that is clear enough to get you started, Feel free to PM me if you want to explore this further off list.

Elfyn
    Open Blazer browser and goto YouTube. Click on any video. Kinoma will open and you get the error: 461- Unsupported Transport.
    This works fine for me, and we don't have any reports of general problems with customers playing streaming 3GPP content (like the videos at m.youtube.com).

This sounds like a straightforward settings issue. In your Streaming Preferences, is Stream RTSP using still set to UDP, and RTSP Port to Default?

Open Kinoma and select Open URL from the menu. Type in http://www.youtube.com as the URL and hit OK. You will get error: Cannot Play "www.youtube.com" cannot be played.
    That's correct, because you're asking Kinoma Player to open an HTML web page instead of a supported video, audio or picture format. For web pages, only Web or another web browser will do.

The single exception to this is that you can open URLs to individual YouTube videos -- they look like http://youtube.com/watch?v=UiXnstxTG_Y -- because Kinoma Player has a special feature that can determine the URL to a YouTube FLV file from its YouTube web page.

BUT if I open Kinoma and select the Media Guide (little globe icon on the bottom) and go from there, I can search, browse by provider, etc. All YouTube videos I got to from here play just fine.
    That makes sense. This isn't a YouTube issue per se, and it's likely that no streaming 3GPP video works for you right now. If resetting your streaming preferences doesn't work, our support folks will be glad to help you fix this.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    This sounds like a straightforward settings issue. In your Streaming Preferences, is Stream RTSP using still set to UDP, and RTSP Port to Default?
    -- Charles Wiltgen
    That was it! For some reason my Streaming Preferences were set to TCP instead of UDP. The RTSP Port was already set to Default so I was ok there. I don't know how this happened as I never fiddled with anything in the Streaming Prefs. Oh well, I'm all fixed up now and pleased as punch!

Charles, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help me figure this out and step me through the solution. Now that's customer service!

I love Kinoma, always have! I used to use it on my Tapwave Zodiac2. I'm so glad I took advantage of the special offer and upgraded the version that was bundled on my Centro. I use it every day. A great program bundled with great customer service, you just can't beat that!

Thanks again!
    Elfyn
    Charles, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help me figure this out and step me through the solution.
    It was my pleasure! And thanks for the kind words.

I'll also talk with engineering to see if it's possible to present a more descriptive error message in this specific scenario, etc.

--Charles Wiltgen