1.    #1  
    I've been doing a little experiment. The background:

- Butler running in background, nothing else. Phone service always on, BT always off, no data service at all in the first place. ROM is latest from AT&T (2.11, right?).

- after charging all nite long, my 680 with the 1600 mA battery starts the morning at 95% charge (never understood that). After an hour of perhaps checking my calendar once and otherwise being inactive, the battery is down to the 80's%. I use the Palm for quick uses for but a few minutes at a time only a few times a day. By 5 or 6 pm, it's down in the 40's or 30% range, especially if I made a short phone call or two. If I work late into the night, it's in the 20% range by midnight. If I'm still working by midnight, it means I'm on labor and delivery waiting for a patient to deliver, so I won't be getting home to charge the battery for a while. At this point, I get nervous about it dying.

- I had a vague impression that screen brightness had a big impact on the battery drain. I had this impression because before I go to bed, I turn the screen brightness way down. If I forget to brighten it back up first thing next morning, I have noticed the charge declines much more slowly during the day.

- the interesting observation is that I use the Palm SOOOOOOO little (screen on literally probably 45 minutes or less per day total, 1-2 phone calls per day or less, BT never on), that screen brightness shouldn't be a big issue. AFter all, I should chew up battery power with a bright screen only if the screen is on a lot. But the screen isn't on at any brightness nearly all the time.

So this has me wondering if the screen brightness setting, irrespective of actual PDA and screen use, has a lot to do with the fast battery drain issue.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone else want to experiment with this aspect of the mystery battery drain?
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    - after charging all nite long, my 680 with the 1600 mA battery starts the morning at 95% charge (never understood that).
    I think this is because the Treo stops charging once the 100% level is reached. It appears this charged "state" is reset by unplugging the charger and plugging it again.

Heavy drain is discussed in several threads in these forums. Try a search for "The Glen Phenomeon" or the threads on PowerHero... you'll get a lot of information on from other users experiences and observations.

Heavy battery drain is on my mind because of the rather heavy drain in my Centro... 50% in a few hours. There has to be something to spoil the party!!!
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Well on my stock battery I run 35% screen brightness (not a fan of bright screens on phones).

Phone offcharge at 7am 99%, couple of alarms, 3 calls today around 35 mins in total, a BT hotsync, 13 SMS messages sent & several received. A bit of web surfing (like now) using a BT connection to laptop for about 20 mins.

It's now 23.25 and battery just dipped to 70%. Loads of 3rd party stuff installed, you sure that battery working well?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulster View Post
    Well on my stock battery I run 35% screen brightness (not a fan of bright screens on phones).

Phone offcharge at 7am 99%, couple of alarms, 3 calls today around 35 mins in total, a BT hotsync, 13 SMS messages sent & several received. A bit of web surfing (like now) using a BT connection to laptop for about 20 mins.

It's now 23.25 and battery just dipped to 70%. Loads of 3rd party stuff installed, you sure that battery working well?

The stock battery that it shipped with does even worse than my 1600 mA battery!
    -- Josh
    My phone without data connected and my wifes phone (never data connected) both would last 2-3 days without recharging with that sort of usage.

What do you have installed? Maybe some program is misbehaving. BTW, my 680 is loaded with stuff and it'll last the same as my wifes who has only a couple of things loaded.

Screen brightness has no effect on battery usage while turned off. Is it possible the Treo is on in your pocket a lot from keys getting hit or such?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Screen brightness has no effect on battery usage while turned off. Is it possible the Treo is on in your pocket a lot from keys getting hit or such?
    My Treo sits screenface-in snug and protected from inadvertent keystrokes by my Helix holster. The device is either in my hand being used a few minutes at a time a few times a day, or else it is in the holster. I am 100% sure it is not turning on in the holster. Sometimes when I'm home relaxing in the evening I take the Treo and holster off my hip and set it on a coffee table while I watch TV or work on the computer. I would notice it were being turned on by the holster or spontaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    What do you have installed? Maybe some program is misbehaving. BTW, my 680 is loaded with stuff and it'll last the same as my wifes who has only a couple of things loaded.
    You want the whole list? Boy, I never look at the "ALL" category in the Palm launcher, but here goes...

MyTreo (don't know what it does, never used it, abbreviate DKDU, don't know, don't use)
    PushToTalk (DKDU)
    QuickTour (DKDU)
    XpressMail (DKDU)
    ABG Pro (medical calculator, doesn't access any system resources like phone or camera)
    SkyScape medical's ACC (medical textbook, again no special resources used)
    ACS_2008 (medical database, no resources used)
    Softick's Audio Gateway (don't use because I've given up on BT headsets during running)
    Backup Pro
    Bejewelled
    Bluetooth (always off)
    Butler
    Calc
    Calendar
    Camera
    Card Info
    CASLrt
    Cholesterol (medical calculator, no resources used)
    CinciACS (medical database, no resources used)
    CinciStroke (medical database, no resources used)
    Documents-to-Go (rarely use)
    Essential Evidence Plus (medical database, set NOT to autoupdate, thus no resources used to my knowledge)
    EM Rules (medical database, no resources used)
    Email (never use)
    ePocrates (medical database, set NOT to autoupdate, thus no resources used to my knowledge)
    Eponyms (medical reference, no resources used)
    FileZ
    Get MobiTV (DKDU)
    Get Good (DKDU)
    Get TeleNav (DKDU)
    HandyShopper (never used)
    SkyScape's Harriet Lane (medical reference, no resources used)
    HotSync
    Instant Messenger (DKDU)
    iRogue (game, no resources used)
    MedCalc (medical reference, no resources used)
    Memos
    Messaging
    Minefield (minesweeper game, no resources used)
    MissingSync (for Mac wired hotsyncing)
    MLT (tank game, never used it, no resources to my knowledge used)
    OB Wheel (medical reference, no resources used)
    OsteoED (medical reference, no resources used)
    several medical database/algorithm programs I have programmed myself with PDA Toolbox standard v6.5 which use no system resources because I don't need them and I don't know how to use any fancy system resources!
    PassThruSync (DKDU)
    Phone
    Pics&Video
    PowerHero (downloaded when I wondered about this battery drain issue, then read that it can contribute to power drain by running in background, therefore haven't used it)
    Prefs
    pTunes deluxe
    Redi-Reader (medical reference, no resources used)
    Sanford Guide (medical reference, no resources used)
    Security
    Service LED
    Shots 2008 (medical reference, no resources used)
    SIM Book (DKDU)
    SIM Srvcs (DKDU)
    Snap (just loaded yesterday to try taking screenshots of my apps, haven't used it, certainly does not explain months of lousy battery performance)
    SolFree (game, no resources used)
    Sounds
    SyncAll (freeware utility to make all programs back up during hotsync)
    Tasks
    UpToDate (medical reference, no resources used)
    USPSTF tool (medical reference, no resources used)
    VMNetLo... (DKDU)
    Voice Memo
    Watchmaker (cute clock app, no resources used to my knowledge)
    Web (don't use, no data service)
    Wired Car (DKDU)
    World Clock (DKDU)
    Yahdice (game, no system resources used)

How's that? I'd be grateful if you see that there's an obvious offender in here!
    -- Josh
  7.    #7  
    <bump>