Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of getting a GPS set-up and wanted to know what is the best solution out there for the Centro.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Buy a dedicated stand-alone GPS receiver.

The only "certified" solutions for the Centro are a TeleNav subscription & the new Garmin Mobile XT software. The monthly charges add up quickly with TeleNav and you're outta luck if you are in an area without cell coverage since it downloads its map data.

Garmin's software is quite nice but it's hampered by requiring you to swap out your existing microSD card and install theirs. Due to copyright restrictions, they don't allow you to install a handful of maps on your own SD card. I have not verified this personally but someone on the PIC forums as well as another site (perhaps 1src) indicated this. Finally, the Centro's small screen really hampers anything related to GPS, not to mention having BT on further drains the Centro's battery unless you travel with the double car chager cord.

Palm missed the boat horribly in regards to GPS integration in their devices sometime in the past 2 years. I recently replaced my Palm GPS Navigator kit with a Garmin Nuvi standalone unit and there's simply no comparison in convenience or usability. The only reason to stick with a smartphone-based GPS solution would be for the online connectivity which IMO is nearly worthless.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    There has been success using tomtom 6 on the Centro, but it's not officially supported by the developer. You have to fiddle around with files or something, to get it to work.

I almost bought the Garmin bundle when it was on sale a few weeks ago, but as hkklife said, I learned you have to use their 2gb memory card, which means I'd have to stop using my 8gb (and hopefully soon to be proven to work in the near future 16gb) microSD card, which is unacceptable.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I have been using Tom Tom on my centro with no problems you have to use the patch made for the 680 .you can do a search there is instructions on how to do it.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Buy a dedicated stand-alone GPS receiver.

Garmin's software is quite nice but it's hampered by requiring you to swap out your existing microSD card and install theirs. Due to copyright restrictions, they don't allow you to install a handful of maps on your own SD card. I have not verified this personally but someone on the PIC forums as well as another site (perhaps 1src) indicated this.
    I've just spent a week with the Garmin Mobile XT and am returning it because it's crap. I really wanted to like it. My wife has a Garmin Nuvi 350, which we both like, but the Palm version isn't up to the same standard. I'm including the email I sent Garmin support (which they haven't answered, which is another problem with them). The final straw was yesterday morning when my Treo 700p (looking at replace with a Centro, which is why I'm reading this forum), had some message about insufficient room on device and then did a full, hard reset on itself. Everything gone!!! Luckily, I had a full backup from a couple of days before, so I didn't loose too much, but there's no way I'm putting Mobile XT back on my Palm!

David

Hi.

I just purchased the Palm® GPS Navigator featuring Garmin® Mobile XT™
    from Palm.com's online store. I bought a Nuvi 350 for my wife a few
    months ago and we both really like it. I have a Treo 700p, so when Palm
    had the sale on your GPS, I jumped at it. I've been using it for a
    couple of days and have a few questions.

First, the info menu shows the following: Garmin Mobile XT version
    4.10.20p, ESM 1102054519, City Navigator North America NT 2008
    11-01890-00. Oh - I tried registering on your website, but just keep
    getting a message that it's being updated.

I mostly really like the GPS and software. It integrates pretty well
    with the Palm contacts. Here are a few issues/questions I have:

* Biggest issue: I can't figure out how to get Mobile XT to say the
    names of streets live the Nuvi. It just says "Turn Left," instead
    of "Turn Left on Main Street." I've searched all through the
    manual and menus, but can't find anything about this. It makes
    your GPS very hard to use since there are often many close streets
    and it's not clear which one I'm supposed to turn on!
    * Your maps database is missing my exit for work! There's a lot of
    road construction around Orange County. About six months ago a new
    Susan Street ramp opened off the 405 North freeway. When will the
    database be updated? Since my GPS has an active Internet
    connection through the Treo, can't it update the maps?
    * I have some 4GB SD cards. Is there any problem copying your files
    from the supplied MicroSD card onto my card?
    * I really like being able to save GPS locations to the Palm Contact
    database, but I have a couple of suggestions: can it ask me which
    category to put the new entry in? Also, can it put business names
    into the Company field instead of the Last Name field? This would
    make more sense.
    * I often loose the satellites when driving. The receiver is on my
    dash and the Nuvi never lost the satellites. Any idea why this is
    happening?
    * I like how your software can use the keyboard and D-pad of the
    Treo. However, I have a couple of simple suggestions that would
    make it much easier to use. First, map the Backspace key to the
    Back function. Also, you don't use the Menu button at all. It
    would be great it that brought up menus in Mobile XT.

Thanks for a great product and your help!

David
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the input - I really appreciate the detail..
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Oh let me just go ahead and do a quick & dirty list of pros & cons on the various types of GPS functionality out there:

Pros of smartphone-based GPS:

-Integration with your contact list (very flaky on TomTom 5 & 6. Haven't tried it on any of Garmin's software solutions).
    -Ability to download weather/traffic reports onto your smartphone (Garmin & TomTom wireless services) and/or update the GPS software in real-time (TeleNav)
    -If you buy the Palm GPS Navigator bundles, you get a nifty dual-tip charger with a miniUSB & Athena connector on the cord so you can charge both devices at once.
    -It's still easier to bring a Treo + BT GPS puck + charger for both on a trip than it is a Treo + charger + standalone GPS receiver + charger.

Pros of a dedicated GPS system:

-MUCH more stable
    -Standalone units generally receive better support from their manufacturers. Add-on software solutions for PDAs/phones are sort of the red-headed stepchildren of the GPS market and are usually not supported much after release (here's lookin at ya, TomTom).
    -It's usually cheaper to sell an older standalone GPS unit & buy a new comparable one pre-loaded with the latest map data than it is to purchae an upgrade DVD for a software-based solution
    -You can talk on the phone while navigating (a biggie for me)
    -MUCH larger screen on even the cheapest dedicated GPS than on a Treo or especially a Centro
    -Usually louder speaker volume on dedicated units.
    -Guaranteed compatibility and functionality. No BT hiccups to worry about and, in my experience, usually faster lock-ons to satellites by dedicated uits.
    -Map data resides on the GPS unit's SD card or internal memory, freeing up valuable space on your smartphone's SD card for other stuff
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    One more pro is that you always have your phone with you and you don't have to remember to bring your standalone gps unit. You can get that GPS keychain and always have it with you as well.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I have Garmin Mobile10 it is the same as MobileXT but I get everything on a cd and have to use my own MicroSD.

I am using a Palm Centro and it works great. I can tell you from experience that the above mentioned problem with the Garmin MobileXT was due to the fact that the person was using a Palm700P in my opinion the worst Treo/Palm Phone ever created. I have owned a Treo300, Treo600, Treo650, Treo700P and now the Palm Centro. The 700P was them most buggy unstable PalmOS phone I have ever used.

I used the Garmin Mobile10 on both 700P and Centro. The 700P would quite often need a reset due to a error not enough DB Cache to run the program. My Centro rarely gets this error but it was very common with the 700P.

I have had very good luck with the Garmin and the Centro. I have a co-worker that uses TomTom on his Treo. he seems to be always having trouble and needing or wanting a new version of TomTom or upgrading maps cause they are outdated.

With the Garmin you just have to ugrade the maps when new ones are released. The program Updates are free. Also the Garmin MobileXT , Mobile10 and Mobile20 will work on both Windows mobile and Palm. I was also told by support they are working on a IPhone version that will work along with Garmin BobCat that is in Beta.

I bought Mobile10 cause I can use it on my Laptop and on my Centro if I want. Also If I change Phone OS I will still be able to use it.

Hope this helps.

OrionNE
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm using Garmin MobileXT with the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 sold here in TreoCentrals store. I love it. Works flawlessly, and because the gps is always on my keyring, I'm never without gps. If I had a seperate gps unit, I'm sure I'd never have it with me when I needed it most. Moved the files off to a larger sd card too, so I can have movies and music on the same card.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Has anyone using Garmin Mobile XT on their Centro have reset problems when exiting the application? Here's the behavior I'm experiencing, every once in a while:
    - run Garmin Mobile XT fine
    - exit Gamin Mobile XT fine
    - minute later, the phone resets by itself

SafeGuard doesn't give me any insight, and this is happening with no other 3rd party apps installed. I'm using te Keychain GPS 2000 with it, which works great.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionNE View Post
    I have Garmin Mobile10 it is the same as MobileXT but I get everything on a cd and have to use my own MicroSD.

I am using a Palm Centro and it works great. I can tell you from experience that the above mentioned problem with the Garmin MobileXT was due to the fact that the person was using a Palm700P in my opinion the worst Treo/Palm Phone ever created. I have owned a Treo300, Treo600, Treo650, Treo700P and now the Palm Centro. The 700P was them most buggy unstable PalmOS phone I have ever used.

I used the Garmin Mobile10 on both 700P and Centro. The 700P would quite often need a reset due to a error not enough DB Cache to run the program. My Centro rarely gets this error but it was very common with the 700P.

I have had very good luck with the Garmin and the Centro. I have a co-worker that uses TomTom on his Treo. he seems to be always having trouble and needing or wanting a new version of TomTom or upgrading maps cause they are outdated.

With the Garmin you just have to ugrade the maps when new ones are released. The program Updates are free. Also the Garmin MobileXT , Mobile10 and Mobile20 will work on both Windows mobile and Palm. I was also told by support they are working on a IPhone version that will work along with Garmin BobCat that is in Beta.

I bought Mobile10 cause I can use it on my Laptop and on my Centro if I want. Also If I change Phone OS I will still be able to use it.

Hope this helps.

OrionNE
    This looks like it might be pretty good.

Have you by any chance tried using it with a wired GPS? Everything I've read about it says only bluetooth, or possibly internal receiver. I love being able to just get into the driver's seat, plop the phone into an old Siedo charger/cradle with a wired GPS that's always powered (so it's already got satellites locked in), and then launch the nav software and I'm good to go. The BT GPS sits in the glovebox as a backup; mostly only used if I want GPS outside the car... (Hmm, maybe I'll get one of thos Freedom keychain jobs!)

Also, I wonder how Garmin handles licensing, especially if you seem to be able to just copy the files from disk to wherever you want. TomTom, with its old policy, sucks in this aspect (license tied to the device - don't know if it's still this way).
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Garmin's Mobile 10 as I understand it will only work with Garmin's blue tooth reciever, this is how they handle the licensing, and that is the reason why Moble XT can only be used on their card, but you can use any bluth tooth reciever with it, dont know about wired or not.
    Terry
    I find the standard free Google Maps works fine. I simply do "Driving Directions" to get a route & hit space to navigate each segment. When you enter a new segment, reset your trip odometer. Example, take I-75 north 45 miles, when trip odo says 44 miles, start looking for the exit # listed in GMaps. The best thing: it is totally free.

I wonder when some industrious pgmr will modify the new Sprint "My Location" feature for auto updating of you GMaps location. I seems are the pieces are in place.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Problem with google maps and my location is wile messing with it the other day, for my home town I am not even in the blue circle listed as "Within 1800 meters" then when I headed south about 15 miles it actualy put me about 5 miles north of where I started, I would hate to have to rely on that for getting me where I wanted to be.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Garmin's Mobile 10 as I understand it will only work with Garmin's blue tooth reciever, this is how they handle the licensing, and that is the reason why Moble XT can only be used on their card, but you can use any bluth tooth reciever with it, dont know about wired or not.
    Terry
    Well, I see some here say they have moved or copied their Mobile XT files to larger cards. Something's not right.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Well, I see some here say they have moved or copied their Mobile XT files to larger cards. Something's not right.
    now if we could just get one of them to tell us how all would be well .
    Terry
    if you're planning to use a Garmin BT receiver, you don't need to use their card. The GPS will unlock the map.

If you want to use another brand of GPS receiver, then you need their SD card.

in order to copy the Garmin files from the original card to another SD card, a key generator is needed. The information usually is not shared in decent places like Treocentral, because it is the same procedure used for pirating Garmin maps.

The only difference is that you will be backing up what you paid for in a larger media, for your personal use.

However i can see why Garmin is against this behaviour.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I have the Freedom Gps working with Tom tom 6 and it works perfectly. I have a 8gb card for all my maps and I never have to worry about space. If anyone has questions on my setup shoot me a pm...

Brian
    Thanks for the input.

My comment about all the pieces should be in place means that GMaps directions tells which highway you should be on and the name and location of next exit. If a My Location is in the middle of a field or not on the designated hwy, the driver knows he should be on the hwy somewhere near the My Location.

A simple envoking of the My location function (say every minute or two) would keep updating the GMaps so the you could track your progress. In otherwords, the map keeps moving in steps. He/she sees landmarks as they pass by and hopefully the map keeps moving in his/her direction.

I have not done the update yet for My Location (Sprint), but soon look forward to playing with it.

Not perfect, but better than to manually keep moving the GMaps image to follow the hwy to you destination.
    FastFrank
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast