Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm doing my homework right now, but man everyone uses a different setup and it makes it hard to pick LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    if you're planning to use a Garmin BT receiver, you don't need to use their card. The GPS will unlock the map.

If you want to use another brand of GPS receiver, then you need their SD card.

in order to copy the Garmin files from the original card to another SD card, a key generator is needed. The information usually is not shared in decent places like Treocentral, because it is the same procedure used for pirating Garmin maps.

The only difference is that you will be backing up what you paid for in a larger media, for your personal use.

However i can see why Garmin is against this behaviour.
    Thanks!! I understand the reasoning behind the restrictions. I'm just hoping to understand how their restrictions may interfere with the way I'd like to use their product.

Soo... Can you tell me:

1 - After I use the product with their GPS receiver to unlock the maps, can I now use any receiver to use the program?

2 - I like being able to use a wired receiver (some may think this odd, I know (being wired and all), but I like the always-on, locked-in, super quick start, no need to worry about battery power - spoiled, I know, but if I can have it.....). Possible???
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Thanks!! I understand the reasoning behind the restrictions. I'm just hoping to understand how their restrictions may interfere with the way I'd like to use their product.

Soo... Can you tell me:

1 - After I use the product with their GPS receiver to unlock the maps, can I now use any receiver to use the program

2 - I like being able to use a wired receiver (some may think this odd, I know (being wired and all), but I like the always-on, locked-in, super quick start, no need to worry about battery power - spoiled, I know, but if I can have it.....). Possible???
    1: Not with the version you own -- it's tied to that particular receiver.

2: No.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    I had TT6 (with the 680 patch) and Garmin XT installed on the same 4G card with an Holux M1200 BlueTooth GPS receiver, allowing me to run either one as I choose. Never had any hung, except when I tried to overclock it with Lightspeed. TT is definitely better in all aspect, except there is no more new maps, as TT has moved on to TT7 and TT8, which does not support Palm. Garmin XT interface is too clunky but maps are available for virtually any part of the world and very current. You can get information on either by Google.
    I just recieved my Garmin Moble XT, and it passed the 1st test.

So if I'm reading this right, once I upload the info from the sd card into the Centro, the sd card is no longer needed as long as I use the provided bt gps reciever?

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I just recieved my Garmin Moble XT, and it passed the 1st test.

So if I'm reading this right, once I upload the info from the sd card into the Centro, the sd card is no longer needed as long as I use the provided bt gps reciever?
    You need the sd card because the maps are on the card. The bt gps receiver just locates you on the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by swak_46307 View Post
    You need the sd card because the maps are on the card. The bt gps receiver just locates you on the map.
    Ah that makes sence. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    This must be simpler than it appears.

What I'm trying to to:
    Have a GPS that is always with me, for walking, bicycling and occasional driving. I don't expect it to equal a standalone car GPS, but is sure beats being in the middle of nowhere with a stack of maps that don't match the route signs etc. Something more accurate than Google's cell-tower method.

Hardware: I'd like to use the keychain GPS, so it can be pocketed, forgotten and is actually there when I need it.

Software: After initial setup, it should launch and provide simple directions within a minute (given that the GPS itself is in the same general area as when last powered on.

SO:

Can I do that with one of the Garmin products or do must I use their GPS receiver?.
    Does TT6 work, it is a big hassle (not supported by Tom Tom apparrantly) and is it worth paying for?
    Would free mapping software be less hassle? Paying for something that works 90 or 100% is fine, but it it's unsupported or there are issues I don't see the point.

Can you get TT6 or the Garmin setups off eBay and still register them?

I also have a TX, which with its larger screen should make a somewhat useful GPS; I'd like to use the some stuff on it and the Centro with one purchase. I understand it's not equal to a car GPS, but it's more portable and already paid for.

I realize that most of this info is in the forum here... but what I read seems contradictory. If someone who has a clear handle on this could enlighten me I'd appreciate it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12