Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm very, very comfortable and happy with the Palm OS I've come to know on previous and my present Treo 650. I'm considering upgrading to a Centro. However, the Palm web site seems misleading, saying on one page that the Centro uses "Windows Mobile 6" and on a phone comparison page saying it uses "Palm OS by Access." ??

Which is correct or are they both different animals? Being an old fart who's been using Palm and its OS for years, I don't want to have to learn another set of icons, etc.

Any explanation and information will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    Centro uses
    Palm OS Garnet by Access v.5.4.9
  3.    #3  
    What can I expect in differences from the Palm OS Garnet 5.4.8 in my Treo 650? Any surprises?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hi,

If you buy Centro for AT&T, it will be GSM.
    For Sprint, they come with CDMA.
    Last edited by mrbears; 05/18/2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    What can I expect in differences from the Palm OS Garnet 5.4.8 in my Treo 650? Any surprises?
    Yes... despite being more robust, there are some minor issues that have been causing me trouble.
    • The Auto-Shift does not appear to work. In Ultrasoft Money (for example), when one navigates to a numeric-field, on the 650, the shift would activate automatically - not so on the Centro. However minor, this is damn irritating, esp where passwords (pass-numbers?) are concerned.
    • The new phone application is great. But... the contacts application is messed-up. The actual display area, after the top and bottom area is eaten-up is only 8 lines. Barely enough for 4 contacts. This necessitates use of other apps like TAKEphONE.
    • Also, the phone application requires use of the keyboard to dial, etc, unlike the older app that had some of thse buttons on-screen.
    • While on the subject of the phone application, contacts specific ring-tones are good.
    • And, while on the subject of ring-tones, some of the ring-tones did not get "ported" to the Centro... Like all the cool StarTrek tones I had on the 650 don't sound good enough, don't play well, or don't play from start to end... don't know what they messed up here.
    • But the sounds management is greatly improved.
    • Oh yes, Blazer is actually usable in this version. I think they made the overall communication stack better then on the 650. No more resets while blazing... er... surfing.
    • Though I use ChatterEmail, I found Versamail is great on the Centro. (tried it for a couple of days...).
    • I have no idea why they got rid of the cool blinking (and coloured) LED... many apps that use it to indicate stuff are less friendly, now.
    Overall it is definitely better, more robust OS.

But, there appears to be some bug in the firmware that prevents the device from going to sleep (from REM sleep). This results in heavy battery drain. A lot has been written about this in these forums. And I just received a mail from Palm refusing to acknowledge this problem (exists on the 680 and Centro).
    Game over!
  6.    #6  
    I'm with AT&T, so I guess I'll be keeping my Treo 650. I don't want Windows Mobile.
    "If you buy Centro for AT&T, it will be windows mobile.
    For Sprint, they come with Palm OS."

Thats wrong!

Both ATT & Sprint version use Palm OS not Win Mobile.
  8.    #8  
    Well, so much for the end to my confusion.
    BTW, my Centro is GSM, and as the pic on the palm.com homepage shows, the at&t version is PalmOS too. All Centro's are PalmOS, and the non-PalmOS "Centro" is the WinMobile Treo500 that can be seen on the UK website.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "If you buy Centro for AT&T, it will be windows mobile.
    For Sprint, they come with Palm OS."

Thats wrong!

Both ATT & Sprint version use Palm OS not Win Mobile.
    Ah, you are right. Sorry.
    I was confusing operating system with CDMA(Sprint)/GSM(AT&T) issue.
    Thanks for correcting my mistake!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Yes... despite being more robust, there are some minor issues that have been causing me trouble.
    • The Auto-Shift does not appear to work. In Ultrasoft Money (for example), when one navigates to a numeric-field, on the 650, the shift would activate automatically - not so on the Centro. However minor, this is damn irritating, esp where passwords (pass-numbers?) are concerned.
    • The new phone application is great. But... the contacts application is messed-up. The actual display area, after the top and bottom area is eaten-up is only 8 lines. Barely enough for 4 contacts. This necessitates use of other apps like TAKEphONE.
    • Also, the phone application requires use of the keyboard to dial, etc, unlike the older app that had some of thse buttons on-screen.
    • While on the subject of the phone application, contacts specific ring-tones are good.
    • And, while on the subject of ring-tones, some of the ring-tones did not get "ported" to the Centro... Like all the cool StarTrek tones I had on the 650 don't sound good enough, don't play well, or don't play from start to end... don't know what they messed up here.
    • Oh yes, Blazer is actually usable in this version. I think they made the overall communication stack better then on the 650. No more resets while blazing... er... surfing.
    • Though I use ChatterEmail, I found Versamail is great on the Centro. (tried it for a couple of days...).
    • I have no idea why they got rid of the cool blinking (and coloured) LED... many apps that use it to indicate stuff are less friendly, now.

But, there appears to be some bug in the firmware that prevents the device from going to sleep (from REM sleep). This results in heavy battery drain. A lot has been written about this in these forums. And I just received a mail from Palm refusing to acknowledge this problem (exists on the 680 and Centro).
    I'm confused about what you mean by a few of your points.

-The contacts area displays as many contacts on my Centro as it does on my 650. (5 names with one number under each name, and a 6th name that you can's see the number yet.) And in fact, I am quite pleased that Contacts now automatically highlights the first number under the contact that's being searched, instead of highlighting the name. Makes it quicker to dial number.

(Side note: Messaging recieved even more benefits, doing contact searches right in the "To:" line, and displaying the contact name rather than number.)

-And what do you mean can't dial with the screen? I can do it just fine if I have the setting display to show a dial pad instead of background picture.

-As for the LED... I could have sworn I saw a newly built in LED control options, and that might be what's happening with it automatically set to off, but I can't seem to find it anymore, so I might be imagining it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    As for the original question, ahsirg is correct. My info version displays "Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.9". When the device resets, it shows an Access splash screen of some type, so it's apparently done by Access.

On my Centro, when I enter Contacts from the phone, I see a list of names and numbers, exactly how many names depends on how many numbers I have for each and where I am in the list. But I counted 11 lines of text on my screen. I'm not sure how/why GreenHex got only 8 lines.

Regarding the highlighting of the first number in contacts instead of the name, I see how this can be useful, but I find it a bit of a problem. Maybe I just need to adjust to using a smartphone more, but I've found myself accidentally starting calls more often than I wanted, because I'm on a number instead of a name. I'd actually prefer it to highlight the name, especially since the first number isn't necessarily the one I call most often (and so I'd have to move around anyway).

The phone does not require the use of the keyboard. In the phone application, you can use the menu to go to Options, Phone Options, then select Show Dial Pad instead of Show Wallpaper, and you'll always see the on-screen dial pad buttons when you're on the phone's main screen. Note that if you show the wallpaper instead, as soon as you start typing a number, the dial pad shows up in place of the wallpaper, and you could switch to pressing on-screen buttons instead.

I've read a bit about the LED, and apparently Palm's made it difficult to control the Centro's LED. For example, blinking seems to be possible only by turning the LED on and off repeatedly, which apparently isn't very efficient and results in heavy battery drain. I agree that it would have been nice to have a more useful LED indicator on the device, especially if it was there before. (Similarly for backgrounds/wallpapers on the home screen; my Zire 72 had this ability built-in, but the Centro doesn't.) There are some programs that will let you have some control over the LED, but I haven't really used them so I don't know much about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    The contacts area displays as many contacts on my Centro as it does on my 650. (5 names with one number under each name, and a 6th name that you can's see the number yet.) And in fact, I am quite pleased that Contacts now automatically highlights the first number under the contact that's being searched, instead of highlighting the name. Makes it quicker to dial number.
    It's just that the precious screen area is occupied by the bottom and top headers, with less space for the actual contacts.

-And what do you mean can't dial with the screen? I can do it just fine if I have the setting display to show a dial pad instead of background picture.
    There are no [Dial] or [Clear] buttons on-screen.

-As for the LED... I could have sworn I saw a newly built in LED control options, and that might be what's happening with it automatically set to off, but I can't seem to find it anymore, so I might be imagining it.
    I've never seen it, but if you find it do let me know. I don't even think the Centro is capable of displaying Orange colour. Also the case is so thin, that the LED Is visible right through it... not good.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Do you have the AT&T phone perhaps? Maybe there's something different there?

Because I'm on Sprint... and both phone and contacts look pretty much exactly the same to me in terms of screen space. The Dial, Clear, and Cancel buttons show up for me as soon as a number is pressed on both the Centro and 650, and I have 11 lines on the screen available for Contacts. (Which comes out to the 5 and a half contacts displayed that I mentioned above.)

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I have the same experience as Gerorne and my Centro also uses Sprint, so if GreenHex uses AT&T, that may explain the difference. I realize different carriers can have different features, but I guess I didn't expect them to change the phone application that much. *shrug*
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I suppose I should also mention that I haven't seen any changes in the auto shift and auto option features. For me the same programs still auto-shift/option that did before, and the ones that never did still don't.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 05/18/2008 at 07:33 PM.

Guys... I have a GSM unlocked "ROW" device... not the at&t version. The auto-shift is definitely broken in some applications that I carried over from the 650.

Edit: I just checked the Palm website... it appears the CDMA versions use the older phone app from the 700p... while the GSM versions use the phone/ favourites/ contacts/ calllog integrated app from the 680.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Good to know. I didn't even know there was a different app on the 680 until earlier in the day when I was looking in that red smilies thread.

It seems odd that they'd use different versions for CDMA and GSM, but if that's what they did, then that's what they did.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post

0) As noted by several, Centro is PalmOS, not Windows (I have one, moved from a Treo 650, and love everything about it, especially the more memory.

1) Auto shift works fine for me in applications where it was turned on on my Tre 650, BUT, you may need a third party app like Butler to slow down the autorepeat. My observation is that the auto-repeat is set very fast by default, which might also cause shifts to turn off.

2) New Phone app. I have hundreds of contacts and always use the First initial of first name, start or last name method to look up contacts. I recommend this to everyone - works like a charm. If it is a company name for example, with no first or last name, just type it in, you'll still get it in 3 or 4 characters.

3) I don't understand this point. There is still a dial pad that can be used by tapping on it. Perhaps the complaint is that the "speed dial" screen has only one column instead of 2. This means that you see more, but have to either remember what button to hold down or scroll more to get to the screen with the speed dial you want.

4) Same a Treo 650, I think. Assign a contact to a speed dial and you get a custom ring tone option, otherwise it is Known or Unknown or Roaming tones only. NOTE: Phone Technician now has per contact and per catagory ring tones, including mp3s and, via the magic of hobbyist-software, does it on the first ring, unlike other programs I have tried.

5) Can't comment on the porting of ring-tones, but I recommend that you always rename your backup directory before moving to a new device and load each peiece of software one at a time to make sure it works on the new device.

6) Can't comment on Sounds management. I really don't use them that much. Set it and forget it for me.

7) EVERYTHING is much more stable on the Centro than the 650. The 650 had 22 MB of "RAM" available. The Centro has 64 MB of "RAM" available. I have more stuff installed in RAM on my Centro than I had on my 650, I can give 4 MB of cache space to Blazer and I still have more memory free on the Centro than the 650 had in total!

8) I find Versamail usable, but I am not addicted to email on my Centro, nor was I on the Treo 650. It is a backup for me. Getting email on the road or when I need to get to it NOW, and am not at a PC. Works better than on th 650, or maybe I just discovered more 5 way usage that was already there.

9) LED. I use Butler to control the LED. It is less controllable than the Treo 650. When the Centro is charging, the LED is red. Butler can reserve green LED for whatever you tell it to tell you -e.g., voicemail, SMS or new email. Blinking is not a "hardware" feature. That is, to blink the LED, software has to keep waking up and do things like: "turn LED off, sleep for 1 second, turn LED on, sleep for 1 second"....

10) I have seen this problem with high battery drain quoted on several sites, but I don't see it on my Centro. I have Power Hero installed and have monitored the battery drain. I can go a couple of days, or one day of constandt usage, about that same as my Treo 650. I use it mostly as a PDA, but always keep bluetooth on to talk to the headset I always use for phone calls.

In short, it is a GREAT replacement for the Treo 650 for the power user. If you only have a few applications on your 650 and don't have problems with running out of memory, you might want to wait another year and a half or so for the next OS from Palm (or Access, whoever gets devices shipped first).

As always, this is my opinion. Your milage may varry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    As for the original question, ahsirg is correct. My info version displays "Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.9". When the device resets, it shows an Access splash screen of some type, so it's apparently done by Access.
    Correct, Palm doesn't actually own the Palm OS anymore (since they split the company years ago into software and hardware and then failed to buy the software division back when they had the chance). However, they have a license to distribute and modify the OS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast